Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Growing Trametes and Ganoderma  (Read 8647 times)

oplopanax

• Trading Score: +139
Growing Trametes and Ganoderma
« on: December 23, 2014, 07:34:56 AM »

Hey y'all-
I work as a wildcrafter for some medicinal herb companies, harvesting and shipping fresh herbs. I have been getting lots of orders for Ganoderma tsugae/oregonense and for Trametes verisicolor (sp?).

I am starting to think that Ganoderma tsugae is actually an annual mushroom, or something like that. Whereas Ganoderma applanatum (Artist's Conk) clearly grows for years, getting bigger and bigger without decaying, a lot of the other Ganodermas that I find are mushy/rotten. Does anyone know if this is true, they only grow for a year or a season or...?
Anyway, I have decided to plug logs of both Ganoderma and Trametes. I hear that Trametes are so easy to grow, but if anyone has any tricks or tips I would love to hear them, and I will let y'all know how things go for me.
~o
No living organism should be illegal.

AcaciaAve

• West Coast Zone 8b
  • Trading Score: +166
Re: Growing Trametes and Ganoderma
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 08:27:32 AM »

Mushrooms exhibit so many growth forms especially with ganoderma, would not know how to help you.
I do know exactly what you're talking about, I always assumed they were the same species in different stages of growth. Biggest I've seen was on the Olympic peninsula near mt Olympus  fall of 2013.
Grow Phalaris grass
Climb Acacia Trees

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 04:14:17 PM »

From what I've heard about Trametes in the PNW, they take over quite easily. Often times when Shiitake logs fail, trametes versicolor is the mushroom that takes over.

What kind of wood are you going to use?

Hcc

oplopanax

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 01:10:21 AM »

Yeah, I don't know how to tell G. tsugae apart from G. oregonese. If it is growing on hemlock I call it tsugae...

I am not sure what wood I am going to use yet, I think that Trametes will grow on whatever, I think that Alnus spp. work well for most plugs...

bluespottedfrog

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +20
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 05:17:29 PM »

i believe reishi will grow for many years on logs...

how are you planning on growing them?  indoors (bag or fruiting chamber), outdoors on some logs?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 05:19:41 PM by bluespottedfrog »
the devil made me do it...  it was so much fun

oplopanax

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 05:38:54 PM »

I would do either, although I want to grow them in logs since I have much more room to grow things outside than inside, although both my house and my garden keep getting fuller and fuller...

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 04:48:10 PM »

I am starting to think that Ganoderma tsugae is actually an annual mushroom, or something like that. Whereas Ganoderma applanatum (Artist's Conk) clearly grows for years, getting bigger and bigger without decaying, a lot of the other Ganodermas that I find are mushy/rotten. Does anyone know if this is true, they only grow for a year or a season or...?

From "All the Rain Brings and More" by David Arora, Ganoderma oregonense is an annual (pp182) and Ganoderma applanatum is a perennial (pp194)

Quote from: oplopanax
Yeah, I don't know how to tell G. tsugae apart from G. oregonese. If it is growing on hemlock I call it tsugae
Also by David Arora in the same book, "G. tsugae is also very similar (perhaps the same) but smaller; it grows on conifers. See MD 577-578 for more information."

From Mushrooms Demystified (MD) by David Arora, "G. tsugae is also very similar to G. lucidem, but has white flesh and grows only on conifers, particularly hemlock, in northern North America. Sill another similar species, G. orgonense, also grows on conifers, but is usually larger (cap 5-100cm broade, 2-20cm thick!), with larger spores and somewhat darker or slightly duller cap." (pp578)

Do you have a culture of Ganoderma oregonense or G. tsugae? Or a fresh mushroom that I could take a small culture from?
I'd really like to try growing em :)

Hcc

oplopanax

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 07:57:14 AM »

Right now all I have is dried or extracted already. I am going out Ganoderma hunting in the next few weeks, and if we find then I can send you a live mushroom or a chunk of one. They are beautiful medicine.

AcaciaAve

• West Coast Zone 8b
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 01:28:47 AM »

G. Oregonense(i think  ???  )
Olympic Peninsula,WA Jan '15
Not growing on conifers by any means
Grow Phalaris grass
Climb Acacia Trees

oplopanax

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 10:19:01 PM »

Those are beautiful! Where they mushy or firm?

AcaciaAve

• West Coast Zone 8b
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 11:20:40 PM »

So firm. Left them all be, they were kickin' it having their little gano-party.
Grow Phalaris grass
Climb Acacia Trees

oplopanax

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 01:43:41 AM »

That is great! I am trying to figure out if they have a 'season', but I think my current hypothesis is that they just flush all year round so there is no one time when you are sure to find them firm...

AcaciaAve

• West Coast Zone 8b
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 08:42:19 AM »

Think the recent warmer weather has anything to do with it?
Because I barely saw any viable Ganoderma sp. in December
Grow Phalaris grass
Climb Acacia Trees

oplopanax

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 01:50:22 AM »

Yeah, maybe lots of rain + warm weather causes a flush. I just ran into some near my house that were mushy.

I have heard people say that they go out to harvest them in the Spring, Fall, or Winter. Each of these people were sure that the season they mentioned was when the mushrooms flush, so I think they basically flush from Fall to Spring, maybe even in the Summer since I find them early Fall sometimes and they are already so huge...

I also just found an amazing patch of G. applanatum, the fruiting bodies are 2-3 feet wide on some of them!