Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Anyone in need of ID's on snakes post them here!  (Read 6854 times)

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
Anyone in need of ID's on snakes post them here!
« on: June 06, 2016, 09:21:33 PM »

I used to breed and wild collect snakes and other reptiles/amphibians for the international pet trade. Though I still do for fun I no longer sell snakes unless they're captive born or unable to become wild types like albinos etc. However I figured I can offer my services as a reptile ID'er if anyone's in need. Feel free to post here!
Spreading love!

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
Re: Anyone in need of ID's on snakes post them here!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 09:51:58 PM »

Startled me when I saw this guy.  I was pulling some weeds in the garden below when I looked up eye to eye with this one.  Surprised it stayed there long enough for me to grab my phone and take a pic.

I'm guessing some sort of Garter snake from images I've seen on Google.  I'd like to know if there is a more specific name because I haven't found a pic that exactly matched.
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 10:27:49 PM »

Very nice! It is definitely a garter snake or perhaps a very large ribbon snake. Totally different color phase than the few types we have here. I'll take a pic of my blue garter when I get home. Caught it a few weeks ago and its rare to find a blue phase eastern garter so I'll grow him up a bit and release eventually.
Spreading love!

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 10:37:22 PM »

Pic 1. Pigmie rattlesnake
2-3. Cottonmouth aka water moccasin
4-5. Mud snake (rare find. Not because there isn't many but because they hardly ever come out of hiding in their aquatic swamp environment. Eats only eels/emphahumas(sp?).)
6. Rough green snake (also uncommon to find)

That's what I've seen in the last few days up here minus tons of road kill snakes of various sorts.
Spreading love!

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Trading Score: +56
  • Howdy Y'all
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 02:04:43 AM »

Seen a few of these around the house. Mostly under my shed, under rocks and potted plants. I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. As long as they aren't venomous, I don't really care. Any idea?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 03:55:25 AM by Psylocke »
Undergoing the formality of being alive.

danzick

• Trading Score: +238
  • So many seeds, so little time.
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 04:36:07 AM »

That mud snake is beautiful, nice markings.  Are they hard to keep in captivity, given their specialized diet?

Radium

• Trading Score: +2
  • When I die, plz compost me :)
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 09:04:31 AM »

Aren't you afraid of being bitten when walking in grasses in your garden?  :o
Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 04:24:05 PM »

Psy actually not sure what that snake is but I can say for sure its not venomous.

Yes Dan the mud snakes are easy to keep but yes the main issue is getting eels for them. Otherwise they are very non aggressive and cool looking.

On another note plantlight I was thinking the snake you posted could also possibly be a western striped racer.

Never afraid of being bit by non venomous species. Not usually worse than a shot at the doctors. Now anything venomous definitely worries me especially up here as there's tons of poisonous species. However it is what it is in my mind a snakes life is just as precious as any other being and has its rightful place in nature and I never kill any venomous species.
Spreading love!

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 05:51:43 PM »

Very nice! It is definitely a garter snake or perhaps a very large ribbon snake.

Looked up ribbon snake after you replied and now I'm leaning toward western ribbon snake.  Has that bluish stripe.

http://www.birdsandherps.com/bvsnakes/tproximus.html

Wikipedia doesn't have info on the western but ribbon snakes range fro 18 -35 " in length.  This on was closer to 35".  What do you think?
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

Radium

• Trading Score: +2
  • When I die, plz compost me :)
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 06:18:47 PM »

Is it possible to deter snakes from your land by planting a "fence" of certain odorous plants around your land?
Like Mentha pulegium?

To avoid hijacking this thread, let's discuss the deterring business here:
http://sharetheseeds.me/forum/index.php?topic=3922.0;topicseen
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 12:46:06 AM by Radium »
Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 03:41:02 AM »

Pics from the crazy snake migration happening at one of our parks the last few nights. These are FL green water snakes. Not poisonous but very quick to bite! I got tore up something fierce but its all in a days work for a reptile guy like me!
Spreading love!

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 03:43:34 AM »

...and more.
Spreading love!

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 04:46:37 AM »

Pics from the crazy snake migration happening at one of our parks the last few nights. These are FL green water snakes. Not poisonous but very quick to bite! I got tore up something fierce but its all in a days work for a reptile guy like me!

How in the hell were you able to catch those little black bastards!?!?!? Every single one i've tried to chase down got away.
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 04:50:49 AM »

I've been doing it for years. Grew up with hundreds of snakes and have caught thousands more just for fun these days but used to sell them into the pet trade. Don't sell anymore though. Catching them is just my thing.

Found out it was happening because the big lake across the way was drained. So their all scattering toward the other lake.
Spreading love!