Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: On colonizing space and the future  (Read 2950 times)

Mr. seeds

• Trading Score: 13
  • JSK
On colonizing space and the future
« on: December 21, 2016, 04:02:02 AM »

So, space is infinite... but so is reproduction; that means everything from fungi to animals to plants... I have a feeling one day "aliens" will just be the species on Earth that survive; and eventually I think that if we colonize space; perhaps even got asteroids and planets and physically move them to the area that's considered "habitable". No need for worrying about overpopulation; no need for worrying about the extinction of everything we know; at least for a few billion years...

Plus, I bet as we enter into that "era" we'll start seeing extremely large lifespans for most species; I think that the trees that can live to be a few thousand already possess that potential! They already have within them something pretty interesting and badass; if you ask me at least :D

As we colonize space though; we need to start thinking about space ecology; which I can only assume is incredibly more complex than Earth ecology.
life is like a seed; sometimes in order to grow you have to be dropped in dirt, covered by darkness, and struggle for light. The answer is the light in the darkness...

Mr. seeds

• JSK
Re: On colonizing space and the future
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 04:04:12 AM »

Instead of having these huge wars and propaganda campaigns; lets be honest with ourselves... in the form of a question; where do we all want to be ten years from now? What would be pretty cool to see?
life is like a seed; sometimes in order to grow you have to be dropped in dirt, covered by darkness, and struggle for light. The answer is the light in the darkness...

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 03:15:44 PM »

So, space is infinite... but so is reproduction; that means everything from fungi to animals to plants... I have a feeling one day "aliens" will just be the species on Earth that survive; and eventually I think that if we colonize space; perhaps even got asteroids and planets and physically move them to the area that's considered "habitable". No need for worrying about overpopulation; no need for worrying about the extinction of everything we know; at least for a few billion years...

Plus, I bet as we enter into that "era" we'll start seeing extremely large lifespans for most species; I think that the trees that can live to be a few thousand already possess that potential! They already have within them something pretty interesting and badass; if you ask me at least :D

As we colonize space though; we need to start thinking about space ecology; which I can only assume is incredibly more complex than Earth ecology.

Someone been reading some Leary/Wilson?

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 06:00:44 PM »

The current official standpoint on ecology and space is: NO ! Probes, sattelites and such are intensively sterilized to avoid accidential contamination, should it come across anything unexpected.

In a closed environment, like a geodesic dome, everything is possible, in some cases even without, all just a question of technology, ressources and motivation.

If fascism and pollution go on as before the motivation will not fade.
Praise is mandatory.

Mr. seeds

• JSK
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 07:39:27 PM »

I think ahead of myself a little too much lol; actually I've been listening to a wee bit Alan Watts rather. Also I think we'll first need to restore the Earth to its once proud glory :) I dream of a day when our planet is much more vibrant than it is now <3

Greenwhale

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 10:16:51 PM »

Something I think about constantly! If you haven't checked out Elon Musk's plan for colonizing mars you should as it relies heavily on bacteria and plants to make human life suitable! When it comes to space colonization and managing earths population, the most valuable knowledge will be that of botany, making our passion that much more crucial!