Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Best plants that can be houseplants?  (Read 7915 times)

reds

• Trading Score: +5
  • Resident Panthiest
Best plants that can be houseplants?
« on: December 10, 2014, 07:27:57 AM »

I've heard Hawaiian baby woodrose will grow indoors.. Will it set seed?

I'm also pretty sure I could get Datura to survive. I've grown passiflora indoors, but it didnt flower.

I keep my thermostat at about 65-70. I don't have any convenient sunny windows, but perhaps I could just direct artificial (cfl) light on them?

I also have an aquarium I could use as a small greenhouse, if there'd be a need.

Any advice?

"I admit that my visions can never mean to other men as much as they do to me.. All I ask is that my results should convince seekers (of) truth that there is beyond doubt something worth seeking."

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
Re: Best plants that can be houseplants?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 09:00:55 AM »

HBWR needs A LOT of root space. I grew one in an 8 inch pot all of last winter indoors under my grow light and it stunted at round 1-2 feet tall. I put it outdoors in the spring after the last chance of frost and it shot up and took over my fence. It must have been 15-20ft long with multiple growth tips. It never did flower this summer so I hacked it at the base and left a few growth tips and brought it indoors in a big 2-3 gallon pot. It rotted and died. :(

Anyways, if you're going to grow it indoors you should use a 10 gallon bucket and have a ton of space for it to climb. Good luck.

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 09:17:05 AM »

Lophophora williamsii will work as a house plant.  If you have a window with bright light.
Cactus = Life

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 02:18:15 PM »

Salvia and psychotrias both seem to do pretty well inside. Banisteriopsis caapi and alicia anisopetala also seem to do fine inside, but you'd need a lot of climbing area.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 07:18:59 PM by Frog Pajamas »

reds

• Trading Score: +5
  • Resident Panthiest
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 12:34:11 AM »

Salvia and psychotrias both seem to do pretty well inside. Banisteriopsis caapi and alicia anisopetala also seem to do fine inside, but you'd need a lot of climbing area.

Sounds good! I'll just fit a corner with a couple trellises and let it take over. I'm not even joking... Suspend some cfls from the ceiling...

Oh, and salvia D. would be nice, but can't really find it anywhere...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 12:39:42 AM by reds »
"I admit that my visions can never mean to other men as much as they do to me.. All I ask is that my results should convince seekers (of) truth that there is beyond doubt something worth seeking."

Ian Morris

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +52
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 01:01:54 AM »

Get a big huge Trich. cutting.  If you have any outside sunshine to put it in the summer it will reward you with about a foot a year.  I keep my biggest in a three gallon pot and nearly every visitor comments on the thing.  Best thing is, once inside and dormant it doesn't need light and a splash of water a month is enough.
-Ian

MirlitonVine

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +23
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 01:52:41 AM »

HBWR needs A LOT of root space. I grew one in an 8 inch pot all of last winter indoors under my grow light and it stunted at round 1-2 feet tall. I put it outdoors in the spring after the last chance of frost and it shot up and took over my fence. It must have been 15-20ft long with multiple growth tips. It never did flower this summer so I hacked it at the base and left a few growth tips and brought it indoors in a big 2-3 gallon pot. It rotted and died. :(

Anyways, if you're going to grow it indoors you should use a 10 gallon bucket and have a ton of space for it to climb. Good luck.

Agreed. If HWBR doesn't have enough root space it won't grow much, much less set seed. What I did is plant the seeds in a huge planter, they grew fast and were twining in 2 months. Idk about inside though. My caapi seemed to love it inside when I brought her in from the cold. Chacruna would make a good house plant as well. Before winter I took a cutting of my brugmansia and brought it in when it got too cold, she liked it as well, her and the caapi are best friends and love growing next to one another.

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 12:14:25 AM »

I'll throw a vote in for Psychotrias too. The Nexus clone might be a better option for those up north as it doesn't seem to need as much humidity as viridis. I'm trying to grow out a bunch so I can share them here.  :D

They are really attractive plants in my opinion and can pass for coffee plants should anyone get too curious.
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

gnosis

• Trading Score: +31
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 01:37:03 AM »

Well from a complete noob the plants that have survived my retartedness are my P. Nexus, Mimosa T., and Phalaris Big Med. 
They have proved to be very tough, and refuse to die regardless of what dummy thing I do.

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 03:05:18 AM »

In my opinion big trichs don't do very well indoors. They will grow, but it wont be to full potential. It'll be slightly (or severe) etiolated growth.  I find trichs do best outside when it's hot and sunny.  Seedlings do okay indoors though.   Like Ian said if you have nice weather outside during spring/summer then you can keep it outside and then make it go dormant during the cold months and just bring it inside/don't water.  That pretty much makes it an outdoor plant rather than a houseplant though.
Cactus = Life

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 03:35:22 AM »

Coffea arabica makes a great house plant. At some point mine became too tall to put on my grow table, or rather, if I did put it on there  I would have to raise my light significantly higher than even the tallest plant in my setup thus making it so that the smaller ones would be unhappy. So instead I set it pot and all in a big pan on the floor next to my table. The light it receives is kinda sorta indirect but direct at the same time. What I'm trying to say is; the light is very weak, because A. It is off to the side of the table and B. The top of it just barely reaches over the top of the table. So despite getting indirect florescent light, it only gets it weakly.

It seems to be growing just fine, thriving even. It is around 2.5 feet tall and 2-2.5ft across. Nice and bushy. Anyways, I'd recommend it as an indoor plant.

chamomeleon

• Trading Score: +31
  • I have a fever...... and the only cure is more cacti
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 11:17:04 PM »

Well from a complete noob the plants that have survived my retartedness are my P. Nexus, Mimosa T., and Phalaris Big Med. 
They have proved to be very tough, and refuse to die regardless of what dummy thing I do.

Gnosis is spot on about the Phalaris.  Grass will grow anywhere you'll let it, and is nigh impossible to kill.  You can put it in a pot next to your wheat grass, and nobody will pay it a second glance! 
There was a young lass from Madras
Who had a magnificent ass
It was not round and pink
as you might think
But had ears and a tail, and ate grass.