Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Building a greenhouse  (Read 7626 times)

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Trading Score: +56
  • Howdy Y'all
Building a greenhouse
« on: November 23, 2015, 11:57:02 PM »

Just wanted to share some pics of the greenhouse my dad is building. He has been doing this for the last few years, but is trying to make one that will last at least a few years this time. It is a hoop house made out of PVC pipe. The frame is 2x4 with 2x6 beam across the top and 4x4 at the base. It is about 20 ft wide by 40 ft in length. Today we got the plastic stretched over the top and one end. Tomorrow we'll get the doors, floor and electrical done. Then we have to move all the pants in. He has a crap ton of tropicals. More pics to come!
Undergoing the formality of being alive.

steveoi812

• Trading Score: +13
Re: Building a greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 03:48:22 AM »

very very nice...pops is doing it up eh? Taking his making sure things are right..measure twice cut once...sounds and looks GREAT

Ian Morris

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +52
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 05:36:35 AM »

Two questions:
1) why is the pvc painted?
2) why is the pvc cut into sections instead of just using the entire length?  Im no engineer but it seems like it would be stronger from a single length, plus you would use less zip ties

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 07:06:24 AM »

I do think its kinda hard to explain why the pvc was tube notched (beautiful work here) as it appears rather obvious. But I am with Ian regarding the zip ties, PVC can be welded (hot air + PVC filler rod) or makes perfect bonds when clean (little rubbing alcohol) and bonded with the right adhesives. But since its not finished yet its hard to tell if the creator doesnt have something like that on his mind and the zip ties are a test fit.

Awesome tube frame anyways.

Edit:

you get the idea, hot air gun + spare pvc: https://m. thats way overkill and probably result of a individually present or absent obsession about beautiful welds on tube frames and such
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 07:12:27 AM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

FewTrueSeed

• Many Meiosis
  • Trading Score: +134
  • Fungophile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 12:35:14 PM »

My first green house was of similar design. I have since built my frames out of wood for one reason. Wind. A tornado nearly touched down near us last year and between wind and hail ripped and tossed my little greenhouse around like a rag doll. I like the idea of doing cathedral style like Paul stamets.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 12:40:58 PM by Tragicfalacygtr2 »
Never portray yourself to betray yourself, there is no I in self.

https://mycotek.org/index.php?members/fewtrueseed.1965/

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 04:15:51 PM »

I like the idea of doing cathedral style like Paul stamets.
Are the frames of wood in those photos?  I like the cathedral style too but I know little about greenhouse construction and nothing about curved wood applications. 
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Howdy Y'all
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 02:34:38 AM »

The pvc along the length of the structure is cut into 3ft sections and tied together since this allows the for more flexibility kinda like the way a sky scraper is built to sway. Last year it survived 70 mph winds and this year's model is even more sturdy. We are not quite sure the reason for the great paint, but it was recommended by the place that we purchased the plastic from. They said that unpainted pvc would somehow be bad for the plastic but I'm not sure why. The frame is all wood with 4x4 and 4x6 at the base and most of the Arial parts are 2x4 or 2x6.

Today we put landscape plastic in the floor to keep  weeds at bay, plumbed water for the drip system, and got both ends put up. Then we bare rooted some of the larger plumeria  trees and moved them inside. Tomorrow will be doors and electrical. I should have pics of the finished structure tomorrow.

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 02:55:12 AM »

They said that unpainted pvc would somehow be bad for the plastic but I'm not sure why.
Apparently, exposed unpainted PVC is subject to degraded impact resistance due to UV radiation from the sun's rays. :-\.  Good to know!

http://www.nacopvc.com/c/tech-info--forms/the-effects-of-sunlight-exposure-on-pvc-pipe
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 05:48:11 AM »

So are the zip tie's,  Electrical conduit PVC is about the same price and has some degree of UV resistance   

harbor feright sells a cheap-O plastic welder, but its not eazy to use at all, Even then the joints may be water tight but brittle

2'' PVC fits like a glove over 1.5'' so you can make something like a clamp to hold it together tightly.  (Inside or Out)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 05:55:34 AM by LIBERTYNY »
III%

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 07:40:32 AM »

A plastic welder is nothing but a hot air gun with a fine nozzle, actually you can find such attachement for a standard hot air gun or make one. Personally I find it to be very easy, just like you combined the benefits of acytelene and TIG welding ... only that youre welding plastic.

But yeah I'd just consider a adhesive like maybe epoxy, poly, vinyl ... gotta read, compare and decide for your application, secure the joinds with it and paint whe whole thing.

But your PVC will take long to degrade, even longer under the plastic cover.
Praise is mandatory.

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Howdy Y'all
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 07:26:51 PM »

Starting to fill up. We've got most of the big plants in now. Plumeria, hibiscus, bananas, ti plants and lots more.

berserkerofoden

• Looking to expand my garden and make friends
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 04:59:02 AM »

What sort of climate you live in? Do you have a harsh winter?
The giant in front of us is not as big as the gods within us