Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Removal of seed coat "hats" without damaging shoots, and other Wolffia uses.  (Read 3300 times)

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......

3 awesome Wolffia uses. I figured this might come in handy for someone.(not sure if this is a good spot, feel free to move it  :)  )

1. Removing hats.
I have noticed that with some species like Iboga, Psychotria, Coffee, Erythroxylum etc the seed often doesn't pop off properly during the sprouting process, and it won't come off without a little help.
Spit, careful cutting or regular misting works, but with my clumsy, shaky hands, and lack of time/patience/commonsense, there are always fatalities...

But I have found if you just get a blob of Wolffia, and wack it ontop of the seed coat, it keeps the shell moist and soft, continuing to stretch open all day, even in the heat.
Come back tomorrow or the next day and a little nudge is all that is needed to remove the shell.

As it takes several days(more than a week in the shade/greenhouse) to dry out, and as each little caviar like ball is independent/unattached, it doesn't gum up or go gluey as it dries. Works really good.
Can just rinse it off later, and it doesn't go mouldy like some stuff does(no idea why?)

2. Holiday and emergency irrigation.
The other thing its great for is if you go away for a few days and won't be able to water.
Just chuck a good handful in each pot, and it works like a super slow release dripper, and when it does eventually completely die after a week or so, it makes great fertilizer for your plants.
They may not look healthy when you get back, but they won't be dead, unlike the stuff without the Wolffia.
I don't recommend putting it directly on the hard woody stems of the plants, just as a ring of sludgy mulch around the base, near the stem.
I just slap it on and never had rot issues or mould but logic says it might happen if the stems are covered or wet for too long?

3. Food.
You can eat most species, more productive than lettuces, more nutritious than most vegies, taste like chlorophyll caviar.

Easy to grow, wild in most countries, I recommend having some on hand.
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact