Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: To graft or not to graft  (Read 8124 times)

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
To graft or not to graft
« on: September 15, 2014, 03:23:42 PM »

So I guess last night something(cat or kid) snapped a 1-2" baby bridgesii I had growing dead in half. The question is can the top half be grafted? Or do you need it cut more towards the bottom of a baby cactus to work? Feel bad if I can't save her! No big deal really but its a good excuse to attempt a first graft right?
Spreading love!

nahuatochtl

• Mexican spirit
  • Trading Score: +8
Re: To graft or not to graft
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 06:38:12 PM »

both halfs can be grafted bro ;)
I think you should graft as soon as posible, perfect excuse and so small pieces sometimes get infected and dead because they are small.
On top of a mountain i take care of the spirits, and they take care of me.

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 06:46:37 PM »

As long as each side has an areole you can graft them.

New Wisdom
Cactus = Life

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 02:15:31 AM »

If the little piece survives until tomorrow um going for it! Don't have glue or anything just gonna have to press it on well and hope for the best.
Spreading love!

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 07:40:45 AM »

With small seedlings the cactus snot is all the glue you need. Just be sure to put it in a humid, dark spot until it heals.  And don't touch it!!!
Cactus = Life

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 08:55:26 PM »

Oh man idk if that's gonna work lol! Realized a few things. Cactus don't naturally want to stick together and for a younger dude my hand isn't that steady. Knocked them off a few times and had to replant them on top which probably is really bad. Used a lot of alcohol so hopefully it stayed sterile!

Decided to do the little bridgesii tip and sacrificed a LW caes too just to see what happens. Hope I did not kill the little loph for no reason other than shear first attempt blues. Time will tell I guess.

Peace
Spreading love!

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 09:32:08 PM »

First time grafts are always tense. Especially if they are seedling grafts. It can be an exciting process and it can be very tempting to touch it and look at it every day or two to see if it has taken or not. One of the biggest things that I've learned is that the more times you touch it or even pick up the pot to get a closer look, the more of a chance you will have of bumping it and destroying any chance it has of taking. Try to resist the temptation to look until you hit the two week mark.

Other than not touching it or playing with it the biggest tip I can give with my limited grafting experience is to have a clean work area with all your tools and everything you need laid out before starting. Also, work quickly, precisely, and as cleanly as possible as if you're performing surgery. It is best to have all your cutting tools sterilized and to try your best to make sure that each of the cuts are done close together in time, like within 30 seconds of eachother. The fresher they are when you place the two pieces together the better.

If you don't have steady hands it may help to brace your wrist on the table, a book, or something similar for added support. If you've knocked it off a few times I'd recut a paper thin layer off each side before 'replanting' so that the two are as fresh as possible.

Good luck. I hope it takes for you.  :)

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 09:43:02 PM »

Didn't recut a thin layer like you suggested as I was in a rush to get it back on. Even if neither of the two attempts work out I'll have learned what not to do again next time! I have a good feeling but circumstantially the odds are probably low of success. Will try again once the pere tips I cut to do the grafts root and grow a bit. Time to quit being a puss about grafting. After all I want big cacti fast!
Spreading love!