Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hello Everyone  (Read 2538 times)

GeeLucy!

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +7
Hello Everyone
« on: July 18, 2014, 04:09:02 AM »

I remember hearing when this site first sprung up about a year or so ago on another forum? and finally decided to join up, mostly for tips on caring for what I have/learning how I might be able to expand in my climate (Zone 6a/6b and indoors), but also to share some of the extra plants/seeds I will have in the near future and maybe diversify my small garden in the process.

At the moment my head garden pales in comparison to my stomach garden, but I have going good a bit of the common stuff:

The heavenly blues that were taking over the railing by my steps last year are now about 2-3x the size they were then with the help of a new trellis and deliberate planting of some of last year's seeds. Last year I think I got somewhere around 2k seeds total between August and October and I don't need that many, so about that time this year I will have plenty fresh seeds/cuttings available (in reasonable growing quantities) for anyone interested.

I have something like 4 valeriana officinalis plants that are starting to look like bushes which I plan to harvest for root around the same time, so anyone with experience propagating this and cleaning/drying/storing roots I am interested in talking to you. Also I do have a few seedlings and several seeds from last year left over, if they are still viable and anyone is interested. Nearly every seed of this I have planted has grown and small plants I kept in small cups over the winter have grown incredibly quickly when given a patch of ground so these are likely still  fine.

I have two small passionflower plants (sold as "blue/white flowering", I really can't take a guess to specifics until they flower and that probably won't happen at least this year where I live) that are slowly taking a corner of my fence, and a few of my baby nicotiana rustica are about ready for their own small pots.

I don't have nearly as much time or space as I would like to dedicate to those plants I owe a lot to, but it seems there are enough skilled apartment gardeners on here to fully discredit any of the complaints I have about my small yard. Any help these folks are willing to offer with respect to plants I can try indoors I would love to hear. Thanks everyone!

Greentoe

• Trading Score: +238
Re: Hello Everyone
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 05:12:44 AM »

Welcome to STS!

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 06:02:49 AM »

Welcome to STS! When your passionflower blooms you can post a picture onto the Plant Identification Thread located in the Botanical Information subforum, passionflower is such a popular one to grow someone is bound to know which species you have (it sounds like Passiflora caerulea)

GeeLucy!

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +7
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 06:09:53 AM »

Thanks a bunch! I'll be sure to post once that occurs.

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 04:11:01 PM »

Hi, welcome to STS. Looking forward to sharing with you!

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 02:45:12 AM »

G'day GeeLucy!
Hope you enjoy your stay!!!
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

nahuatochtl

• Mexican spirit
  • Trading Score: +8
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 10:17:59 PM »

Welcome my brother, you will find this people is very generous and full of wisdom. Hope you enjoy the site.
On top of a mountain i take care of the spirits, and they take care of me.

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 12:44:21 AM »

Welcome to STS my friend!
Cactus = Life