Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Gardening and emotional disorder  (Read 5802 times)

Mr. seeds

• Trading Score: 13
  • JSK
Gardening and emotional disorder
« on: July 20, 2015, 05:50:31 AM »

I was wondering if anyone had any anecdotal evidence to support that gardening, botany, and more specific to STS sharing seeds has an effect on emotional issues such as depression or anxiety? I was wondering if there are any specific plants that can help fascilitate a posative effect on one's emotional being. When i ask this last question i'm thinking about the plant's qualities and how it can relate to the emotional gardener's discontent. An example could be how some plants reach towards the sun (which probably doesn't have a big impact on the gardener's emotions unless they actually think about it) or maybe some plant that symbolifies  what the gardener is going through and allows for the gardener to confront their situation.

Edit: is there any evidence based information that could shed light on whether or not gardening has an impact on one's emotional being?
life is like a seed; sometimes in order to grow you have to be dropped in dirt, covered by darkness, and struggle for light. The answer is the light in the darkness...

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
Re: Gardening and emotional disorder
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 06:47:33 AM »

There has been some research into a particular strain of bacteria called Mycobacterium vaccae which is commonly found in soil and it has been found to have potential antidepressant and antianxiety qualities by increasing serotonin levels. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100524143416.htm

chamomeleon

• Trading Score: +31
  • I have a fever...... and the only cure is more cacti
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 04:40:40 PM »

Personally, I think it helps connect people in todays often-isolated world.  Now I know people in other states and other countries that I never would have met before!  And everyone has s sort of laid back, friendly vibe as well.  That, along with getting interesting seeds and plants, is why I love this site.   ;D

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/07/dalai-lama-neuroscience-compassion/397706/

Also, I fount this interesting.  The generosity aspect of it reminds me of almost every gardener I know:  always willing to help out or share, be it food they grew or seeds they saved.
There was a young lass from Madras
Who had a magnificent ass
It was not round and pink
as you might think
But had ears and a tail, and ate grass.

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 02:14:25 AM »

Great link TBM.
Commenting mostly to follow the thread and I don't have any real hard data, just anecdotes and a crazy level of passion.
I reckon gardening is awesome for a whole heap of reasons, so much so that I am in the long and unnecessarily complicated process of getting a not for profit seeds supply for low income earners off the ground. (Would only be able to be for Aussie folks due to legal stuff, and wont be happening for a while yet. The paperwork is a nightmare and it is starting to get pretty expensive, but I am plodding away at it. Should be up by this time next year.)

I reckon that gardening(and specifically giving folks seeds, who may have never seriously considered it, or "can't afford it".) is good for social reasons, like creating a bond in the community, increasing neighbourhood co-operation, sparking interest in self sustainability, and improving diet, teaching work ethic, providing a sense of achievement and self-pride, keeping folks minds active, and teaching them new ways to think by having to adapt to changes in growing conditions.
And, they may even get a feed out of it which is great for the economy and decreases the pressure on the welfare system.

I am not saying that gardening is the cure 100% for everything(though I reckon long term it really might be).

But, for example, I reckon if you got 1000 racists, or physically or mentally abusive folks, or depressed folks, or mentally ill folks, or just lonely folks, and gave them some seeds and said here you go bro, do what ever you want with them. You might get 10% of those folks, actually plant them.  Only 10%, but that's cool.
That's 100 folks.
Out of those 100 folks who plant them maybe 10% successfully stick with it and grow them, learning about patience, having some down time from the stresses of life and having a positive outcome.
That's only 10.
I firmly believe that out of those folks that do feel better about themselves, do feel a sense of pride with their outcomes, do enjoy themselves and take it with them as a coping mechanism for life, you would have to see a lower level of racism and anger, a lower level of frustration and abusive behavior, and a lower sense of isolation and loneliness, or at least more calm hours in the day than destructive hours, in at least 10% of those successful folks.

That is 1 dude, coping mildly better.
Not all folks, and not a 100% fix, but a mild but measurable difference in social and economic dysfunction.

I know that would only be a help to every 1 dysfunctional dude in every 1000, and probably only a minor help, at having a slightly less dysfunctional day.
But to me that seems like a great outcome when you take into account the cost which is bugger all, and the potential for positive flow on effects though out the community which is huge.

Our Australian government throws millions of $ at much more ineffective programs every day of the year, all year round.
Imagine the societal impact of $1m in seeds shared with the public.
Even $1000 would help a couple folks I reckon, and the thing about gardening is it is for life, it is a lifelong skill, that has its own built in "participation award program".
Everyone that participates in gardening gets free food!

Can't say that about programs.
None of them have a physical, tangible, participation reward program, and that is why none of them really work that effectively long term, and they all have huge ongoing costs, and a massive relapse rates upon completion of the programs.

The other thing about gardening, is that it is easy to teach, much easier than trying to teach tolerance, or calmness or sanity, meaning every mild "success story" from gardening is easily relayed and shared to others, along with the physical proof of success(the vegetables) and initial motivation for giving it a go, the free seeds the "success story" grew.

I reckon gardening is bloody AWESOME!!!

« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 02:22:44 AM by fairdinkumseeds »
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 04:20:40 AM »

Horticultural therapy: a pilot study on modulating cortisol levels and indices of substance craving, posttraumatic stress disorder, depression, and quality of life in veterans.

A prospective study of group cohesiveness in therapeutic horticulture for clinical depression.

Garden walking and art therapy for depression in older adults: a pilot study.

Therapeutic horticulture in clinical depression: a prospective study.

There is a wealth of information supporting the correlation between gardening and reduced depression and my own subjective experiences support it.

I started to develop a passion for growing plants around the age of 16. After making a commitment to growing plants I found that my depressive symptoms were greatly diminished and far more manageable than before. Depression, for me, is formed from a feeling of a lack of purpose. Plants give me a purpose in life, a commitment to being a steward for other life forms apart from my own body. They taught me the importance of patience and the age-old wisdom that great things come to those who wait. The denizens of the plant kingdom are my lifelong companions. As they grow I grow along with them.

Gardening and sharing plants with others has blessed me with fantastic friends across the world and in my own community IRL. Giving selflessly to others rewards me with a genuine feeling of content and forms attachments with others.

You are what you eat. Plants and photosynthetic bacteria are extraordinarily efficient solar panels which power the circle of life. Every single human being is composed of plant matter. As such, I consider it a duty of mine to pay tribute to the plant kingdom and all of mother nature's domain by growing plants.

I completely agree with fairdinkumseeds! Gardening is a natural antidepressant and rehabilitative agent with untapped potential. Horticulture brings people together and binds them in peace and care and community. Plants are the glue which holds society together.
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 05:27:06 PM »

Praise is mandatory.

kykeion

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 08:20:52 PM »

I have found that getting out and working with my garden and plants often helps modulate my mood if I'm feeling stressed, angry, frustrated or any number of bad moods.  I don't know if this effect is due to microbes, plant compounds released during contact, or the simple fact that my focus is directed towards something I am passionate about, but the change in mood is palpable.

Mr. seeds

• Trading Score: 13
  • JSK
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 10:52:56 PM »

« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 12:34:34 AM by BubbleCat »
life is like a seed; sometimes in order to grow you have to be dropped in dirt, covered by darkness, and struggle for light. The answer is the light in the darkness...

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 12:34:48 AM »

Took a while to dig up:

http://sharetheseeds.me/forum/index.php?topic=2283.msg16763#msg16763

"Dig up"... Dirt...

Was pun intended? :D

Nope but it doesnt matter much, as a matter of fact  :D