Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Big and Dandy Companion planting thread  (Read 4222 times)

Mr. seeds

• Trading Score: 13
  • JSK
The Big and Dandy Companion planting thread
« on: March 17, 2015, 05:23:42 PM »

help me gather some information for companion planting; what are your experiences and knowledge of this area of interest?
life is like a seed; sometimes in order to grow you have to be dropped in dirt, covered by darkness, and struggle for light. The answer is the light in the darkness...

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
Re: The Big and Dandy Companion planting thread
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 07:11:36 PM »

It's good to have 3 plants growing together.

1. A climbing vine like passionflower or morning glory.
2. A ground cover plant or ground vine like cantaloupe, pumpkin, or alfalfa.
3. A large stalk plant such as corn, dagga, etc.

The large stalk provides a climbing post for the vine and the ground cover holds in moisture at the base. The climbing vine may help stabilize the stalk plant. There are a few plants which are natural pest deterrents. I've spent the winter hibernating so if my information is a little off feel free to correct me. I'm pretty sure fragrant plants such as thyme can help to deter pests.

There are a few reasons why you'd pair plants together. Shade, preservation of ground water, to save space, pest control, and support. Other than that I can't think of any other reasons to do companion planting.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 08:19:00 PM »

I would like to add that some vines can be quite overwhelming, killing anything small, like hops. Hops would quickly deter your Daga of light to choose wisely.

Also be carefull as some plants attract some insects, like mullein does :)

Personally I use artificial climing posts or walls and big trees for climbers.

Be sure the plants that go together have similar likings in lighting, soil, humidity, nutrients...
Praise is mandatory.

Mr. seeds

• JSK
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 10:09:28 PM »

would you be able to deter pests by attracting it away from your garden using mullein?

also do some fungal species pair with certain plants? i know that some fungal species will give nutrients to certain plants but thats more like a large system and stuff from what i read.
life is like a seed; sometimes in order to grow you have to be dropped in dirt, covered by darkness, and struggle for light. The answer is the light in the darkness...

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 03:56:17 PM »

No. Yes.

:D You cant attract them away with mullein I believe, you can attract those in your garden onto the mullein, yes, bit they'll be around. Its like the old "trick" where you burry beer glasses so snails drown... it attracts them first so I can not really say you'll have more or less snails on your plants.

Yes many funghi even need a host plant of special kind, because I sometimes search and gather (wildcraft ? :D ) them I know Tuber is such species, it will only grow at roots of trees and its quiet picky, so I know which trees I dont have to send the dogs under at all because there is none - and I know where chances are high i find my dinner :)
Praise is mandatory.

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 05:17:09 PM »

I think this may have been where I first found this poster, but I can't remember anymore, anyway here it is:

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 01:50:08 AM »

I've read a few places that pumpkins and datura are good friends.

Mr. seeds

• JSK
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 10:39:24 PM »

thanks guys for all the feedback! hopefully this post will continue to grow for general companion planting knowlege.