Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Greetings from me :)  (Read 11405 times)

Buttons

• Trading Score: +2
Greetings from me :)
« on: September 04, 2013, 11:13:25 PM »

Hi peeps, its nice to be here and thanks for having me. I hope i am able to help out where i can regarding info and so on and possibly add to this great resource in as many ways as i can.
 A bit about me : Im a Lophophora collector/grower in the UK and have been a cactophile for a long time (not giving my age away lol), I have a collection of both established plants of each specie of the genus ( although my Koehresii seemed reluctant to flower this year) from which i am able to collect seed as they fruit. I also have a collection of Lophophora with habitat data which i intend to construct a study of as they grow and record differences in annual stages as this seems to be something few have ever achieved.
 I would also like to share with you at some stage my oddities, IE mutant/ hybrid plants i have bred and obtained over the time i have been growing.
Once again its great to be here and anything you wish to know just ask

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
Re: Greetings from me :)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 11:48:38 PM »

Welcome to STS. I am a cactus enthusiast as well.  You have a beautiful collection!! 

Check out the FAQ and rules and make youself compfy. Glad to have you here!

How long have you been growing? (you don't have to tell me) :D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 02:32:11 AM by New Wisdom »
Cactus = Life

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 12:08:59 AM »

Wow
That's a lot of cacti.

Greentoe

• Trading Score: +238
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 12:21:31 AM »

Welcome to STS. That's quite the collection you have there.

Seed Collector

• Slow but reliable
  • Trading Score: +93
  • Oklevueha Native American Church Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 12:33:06 AM »

Buttons, I must say that I am glad we have a member with such a large and beautiful Lophophora collection.

I would be interested in any comments that you could add to the germination of Lophophora (thread here somewhere about it).

Welcome to STS.  :)

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 12:55:12 AM »

Welcome to the forum Buttons! Impressive cacti collection to say the least! Be sure to add anything applicable to your growing, share, and wish lists located on your profile page.

Mandrake

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 01:24:20 AM »

Hey buttons,

thanks to you for joining - looks like we're on our way to have a real lophophora think tank here :)

Looking forward to your contributions, I hope to see you around in the forum.

Welcome to STS,

Mandrake

gator

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +12
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 02:22:38 AM »

That was a great introduction, Buttons.
I look forward to the day you share your oddity mutant plants, and studies with us :)

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 08:41:36 AM »

Welcome to the forum, nice collection. How long is the dormancy period in the UK?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:35:45 AM by nobody »
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

nahuatochtl

• Mexican spirit
  • Trading Score: +8
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 05:15:13 PM »

Holly lophophora army you ahve there my brother, very nice.
On top of a mountain i take care of the spirits, and they take care of me.

Buttons

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 10:47:46 PM »

Buttons, I must say that I am glad we have a member with such a large and beautiful Lophophora collection.

I would be interested in any comments that you could add to the germination of Lophophora (thread here somewhere about it).

Welcome to STS.  :)
Thanks Seed Collector, it was a much bigger collection and many of my surviving plants are in the recovery stage still but thats another story ;)
 As regards germination i use 'hermetic germination'. Where the seeds germinate and grow in an airtight container, but i will do a post on that once i get allowed to venture a bit further than the welcome mat.  ;)

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 10:54:14 PM »

I'd really like to hear about this hermetic germination. Sounds very interesting! And what happened to your collection?
Cactus = Life

Mandrake

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 11:14:21 PM »

As regards germination i use 'hermetic germination'. Where the seeds germinate and grow in an airtight container, but i will do a post on that once i get allowed to venture a bit further than the welcome mat.  ;)

New users are more than allowed to venture a bit further than "the welcome mat". You can access and post in the whole Gardening Area, in case you had not realized yet.

Kind Regards,

Mandrake

Buttons

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 11:17:15 PM »

Well cutting a very long story short : I split up with the ex and had to leave my greenhouse for a few weeks while the dust settled, it was winter, she unplugged the heating as revenge and i lost a few prized big L.koehressii , my best L.diffusa and fricii plus many other mid sized plants and some rare and valuables like Aztekiums, Astrophytums blaa blaa blaa Sob sniff (Wipes teary eye),  also following this split i had to house my surviving plants in an upstairs bedroom with nothing but a small window facing north for nearly a year until i got a greenhouse again and this resulted in a nasty spider mite attack on a few plants including a 13 rib L.fricii and some very hard to obtain Swobodiana and kubesai types :( They on the road to recovery now but it has set them back a lot but the growth was good this year and some even flowered so i may have seed available soon if pollination worked.

Regarding Hermetic Germination:
 You will need, Very small pots i use 2" pots, a jam jar with lid, suitable growing medium for your seeds, seeds and very important - Armillatox (a coal tar based anti fungal soil steriliser now sold as outdoor cleaner), Available in the US as of recent and also in the UK. So water the soil with a 50:1 dilution of armillatox sow the seeds into the now sterile soil and then stand the pot on the jam jar lid and cover and screw down the jam jar onto the lid , label the jar and place in a warm place away from direct sun. the jar should steam up  if hot enough. if the soil seems to start to dry out then check the seal on the jar and water again with armillatox. If the armillatox has done its job then the seedlings wont need watering for many months and no algae or fungal problems should arise due to the sterile conditions inside the hermetic jar .  The pllants will need potting on as it gets too cosy in there ;)

Buttons

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 11:20:02 PM »

New users are more than allowed to venture a bit further than "the welcome mat". You can access and post in the whole Gardening Area, in case you had not realized yet.

Kind Regards,

Mandrake

Thanks Mandrake A few times i try to venture here or there i keep getting out of bounds messages, but i will just be patient , Lopho growers are patient souls, case of having to be ;)
Pages: [1] 2