Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: fermented homemade hot sauce  (Read 14197 times)

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
Re: fermented homemade hot sauce
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2014, 07:06:59 PM »

Yeah man, probiotic, and also if fermented sauce is sterilized its just waiting around for some random microbe that can tolerate the acid and salt to colonize it. A live culture can fight back.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2014, 09:47:31 PM »

Yep, and thats the idea why the jars should be a size matching consumption habbits - it will behave like everything else thats canned, after shelf time one can consider it gone bad. Eat it before that time comes, open the next one, all is fine.
Praise is mandatory.

bluespottedfrog

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +20
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2014, 10:33:55 PM »

so, after i let the mash set on vinegar for a week, then i strain...   then should i put in jars and hot process?
the devil made me do it...  it was so much fun

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2014, 10:42:13 PM »

It seems we are seperated when it comes to that question :D decide yourself

But I think I should mention that I am not absolutely sure, but as far as I know, and I am familiar with fermentation processes by profession, the lactobacillus wont fight anything much. Yeast and Lactobacillus will convert sugar to acid or alcohol wich can stun or even kill invaders. This feature wont be lost if heated in an enclosure (as far as I know) look at it as you look on a store bought sauce (Tabasco), it doesnt really turn bad, but it was heated. If it was still alive you could use a drip of tabasco to start your own sauce :D

Uh little update regarding the fighting storage methods. the things simply is: canned after fermentation gives me longer shelf life before its opened, thats sure and I want hot sauce all year round until next harvest. Also since the lactobacillus converted our carbohydrates theres nothing much left possible invaders are interested in, dead or alive don't matter. But yeah no reason to can fermented products you're going to use in the next few months, but until next years first harvest its a good 3/4 year and in that case id rather can smaller amounts to store and use them after opening in a short time. Right now I started a few of this years batches and I still have the super hot one from last year that was fermented, canned but opened way before winter, its still fine. despite being on the table on many occasions. i also want to encourage everyone to ferment everything that contains carbohydrates, food with lactobacillus and drinks with yeast.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 01:12:28 AM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.
Pages: 1 2 [3]