Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How can I tell my cacti to pop more heads?  (Read 16873 times)

Radium

• Trading Score: +2
  • When I die, plz compost me :)
How can I tell my cacti to pop more heads?
« on: June 20, 2015, 06:21:51 PM »

I have this headless cacti, which has very good developed roots, and recently popped a new head (what's the correct name for this little baby heads that pop from the fresh of a mother plant?)

The baby head is growing very fast, but I would appreciate a few more heads, at least two more.

Questions:
  • What can be done to make the cacti pop more heads?
  • Does the growing power divide between heads? I mean if for example 2 new heads pop, will the current head lose 2/3 of it's growth rate and share it to other heads?
Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
Re: How can I tell my cacti to pop more heads?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 06:26:50 PM »

I am curious about this too, the term is Pupping.

All of my well established cacti have sprouted 2-3 pups each. Most along the base. These cacti are typically about 2' tall and pup at the base near the soil. I was curious why... Its been great weather wise... we get occasional monsoons with like 2-7" in a couple of hours, then 88-95*F temp daily was wondering if that had an effect.

Psylover

• Hobby ethnobotanist
  • Trading Score: +82
  • Love for all life.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 07:28:31 PM »

Try and check this thread from nexus it might answer some of your questions.
https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=43032
Be good. Be evil. Just remember there's a balance jing and jang. good is only good because of evil. Evil is only evil because good.
So removing all evil would be removing all good?

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 08:38:02 PM »

Ive also heard that watering with coconut water will encourage pupping, but have niried it personally. I think multiple growth points would mean slower growth per pup, since the energy is divided.

Are your cacti up on the roof?

Radium

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 09:30:34 PM »

The cacti is located at the tip of the balcony, it receives around 4 hours of sun daily.

Here's a picture of the plant and her lovely pupping.
The pic is around a week old, the lil' girl has become a lot bigger now!

How about doing damage to the cacti? although even if it works, I might not consider doing it, because I will feel like a tyrant slave-holder then.

Regarding the energy required for growth:
Sometimes a lot of energy is available in a project, but fewer than needed manpower makes it to go slow.
Imagine you're building a house.
You've bought all of the materials, but you only got 1 builder, obviously the more builders you have here, the sooner your house will be ready.

The "builder" in that analogy is comparable to the "growing tip cells" of the pupping.
They can only divide at a fixed rate, no matter if there's so much excess energy/nutrients available, cell replication is so complex and takes some time.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 09:37:37 PM by Radium »
Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 09:53:49 PM »

Miracle-gro is good for inducing pupping in trichs. Dunno what's in it that does that but old time trich growers have used it for years, used at half-strength.

Osmocote for growth and Miracle-gro for pupping was the standard treatment. At least for those who weren't too fussy about being 'organic'.
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 12:46:50 AM »

Miracle-gro is good for inducing pupping in trichs. Dunno what's in it that does that but old time trich growers have used it for years, used at half-strength.

Osmocote for growth and Miracle-gro for pupping was the standard treatment. At least for those who weren't too fussy about being 'organic'.
I have been using miracle-gro cactus soil and fox farm... who woulda thought. I come from a group of "growers" who hate on miracle gro for other plants LOL

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 09:33:48 PM »

Benzylaminopurine (6-BAP)

Psylover

• Hobby ethnobotanist
  • Trading Score: +82
  • Love for all life.
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 09:38:50 PM »

Have you tried it Hcc? I already posted a link to a thread that shows i guy using it, but not really sure about the results?
Be good. Be evil. Just remember there's a balance jing and jang. good is only good because of evil. Evil is only evil because good.
So removing all evil would be removing all good?

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 09:40:07 PM »

I tried it once but it didn't work for me.

I think New Wisdom and a few others have had success though.

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 09:47:39 PM »

I wouldn't try to force pupping to be honest, but you can use what HCC said. BAP works great as long as the plant has the energy to do so. Although it's not on the plants terms so you can overstress a plant by forcing pups.  I used to make cream out of anhydrous lanolin and BAP to force pupping. I've realized it's best to just let the plant pup on it's own when it has the resources to do so.

If I were you I'd just give it some sun and nutrients and let it do it's thing.

New Wisdom
Cactus = Life

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 09:57:03 PM »

By the way, how I would apply it was to take a sterile scalpel blade, cut a very very shallow cut just to get through the skin, then cover that cut with the BAP cream.  And a pup would usually emerge between 1-120 days after application.  You do not have to cut the skin, but I had better results this way.

Also, I believe the concentration was 1.5-3% BAP in the lanolin. I don't remember exactly though.
Cactus = Life

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 03:50:52 AM »

Just to clarify a bit, Miracle grow induces basal pupping, which is how most trichs prefer to grow anyway. With BAP you can force it to pup at any areole you want it to.

And I'll second the remarks about forcing pups. The plant needs sufficient root structure to support the new growth. Better to have one or two big pups than multiple small ones that can't grow because they are trying to suck more resources than the rest of the plant can supply.
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

Radium

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 05:26:21 PM »

Hmm, too bad, here we only have this obscure Indian powder product labelled "Root growth hormone", and no indication of the ingredients.
And lanolin is not available here.
Can I use vaseline or veggy oil instead?

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 05:42:54 PM »

I bet you'd get more pups if you could just increase the amount of direct sun per day. Maybe put them up on the rooftop garden while you're still in your current apartment?
Pages: [1] 2