Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Need help dealing with white fly menace  (Read 11514 times)

kykeion

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +13
Re: Need help dealing with white fly menace
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 10:25:36 PM »

Well like I said, folklore, and I've never tested it. 
Of course now I can't find any such reference in trying to back up my claim and make sure I got the "recipe" correct.

FewTrueSeed

• Many Meiosis
  • Trading Score: +134
  • Fungophile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2015, 02:54:03 AM »

The name fly aminita is appropriate. The flies are in fact attracted to the fungus and are stunned by the toxicity of the mushroom. A tea with milk is the traditional approach. Paul stamets has put a great deal of research into fungi as pest control. Especially using cordyceps as they parasatize the insect and can infect entire colonies at the source. It happens in nature all the time. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 09:33:53 AM by BubbleCat »
Never portray yourself to betray yourself, there is no I in self.

https://mycotek.org/index.php?members/fewtrueseed.1965/

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2015, 03:36:30 AM »

I decided to reformulate my potion to include only a few mililitres of neem and dr. bronner's (previous potion was a bit too strong). I am applying it to all my plants and juniper hedge every evening. Is once daily administration good enough? I cannot wake up early enough to get at them before the sun dawns and already after the last spraying I saw fewer flies than before :)
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2015, 01:31:28 PM »

Check every species for acceptance first. Otherwise you'll ent up like me with a Hovenia Dulcis that refuses to grow. Also read the packing slip (?) that came with your neem and the other product. It will tell you how frequently to use at the max.

Lastly: Please try using one of the products at a time and see if it has satisfying effect on its own, as you dont exactly know what will happen if you mix two mostly unknown substances together... and how it will affect your plants.
Praise is mandatory.

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2015, 01:20:05 AM »

Welp,

I've been spraying my plants with a dilute potion of dr. bronners and neem daily and so far I have yet to see a single white fly in my garden!! VICTORY IS MINE

I will continue to spray once in the evenings for a little bit longer and will stop soon and see if they come back. If the plague returns, this may have to become a regular thing.

some of my daggas died but some are alright. Lemon balms took a beating and pineapple sage is in remission albeit still alive (pineapple sage had the worst white fly infestation). I will take a little break for the sake of their survival and use it when necessary.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out,
-Mangrove
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

trichocereus

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +10
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2015, 11:01:28 PM »

Stonehenge

• Trading Score: +53
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2015, 11:19:43 PM »

White fly can not be controlled with yellow sticky traps, they only serve to show you have an infestation.

Any type of soap will kill them, they are not hard to kill. The problem is keeping them away. Spraying the underside with something like safer's soap will kill them but you have to do it every day on every leaf hitting the underside the most. Tough job, they are the borg.

Another thing to use is beneficial bacteria like thurigensis. Add it to a spray bottle with a little soap to help it spread out. The bacteria kill the crawlers after the eggs hatch and stop the infestation. hopefully.

Other ways include horticultural oil which smothers them as well as various poisons.

As for beneficial insects, there are lady bugs, lacewings and others. You can buy them in bulk for not too much money. That works best indoors since they will fly away outdoors but will do some good. There is also a type of fungus that kills them. I don't recall the name but its supposed to kill even whiteflies resistant to everything else.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 06:48:01 AM by happyconcacti »

trichocereus

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +10
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2015, 09:54:56 PM »

Encarsia formosa works really well but need 16 hrs of light for them to reproduce effectively.

Urban Elements

• αγρότης κάνναβης (50Tree)
  • Trader
  • Trading Score: +21
  • Organized Confusion!
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2015, 10:16:46 PM »

In the past I have had great success with "SNS 209 all natural systemic pest control". It's a drench made from rosemary extract 10%, rosemary oil 0.23%, water, quillaja saponin & humic acid.

Sierra Natural Science  (SNS)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 02:44:00 AM by Urban Elements »
“Animals are something invented by plants to move seeds around. An extremely yang solution to a peculiar problem which they faced.”
– Terence McKenna

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2015, 06:49:11 AM »

There is also a type of fungus that kills them. I don't recall the name but its supposed to kill even whiteflies resistant to everything else.

spinosad maybe?  Saccharopolyspora spinosa

Stonehenge

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2015, 10:36:16 PM »

No, that might work fine but its chemicals derived from bacteria. A fungus approved by fda for killing whitefly is called Beauveria bassiana trade name Mycotrol-WP

Another possibility is Aschersonia. There are also predator mites and flies that will eat them.

Lady bugs are cheap, I've seen ads on ebay or amazon for a bunch costing around $10 to $15 delivered in usa. If you use them outdoors, place them late in the day at dusk so they don't fly away. Indoors that is not a problem. You might split an order with someone since you only need a few dozen for the typical indoor garden. They will lay eggs and produce more ladybugs.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2015, 10:53:24 PM »

Im fond of theese things lately, so:

Yellow plastic cards with sticky glue on them help against whitefly. In sicily the whitefly on tomatoes is kept at bay with the yellow cards.
Praise is mandatory.

Stonehenge

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2015, 06:33:01 PM »

I've never had much luck with yellow sticky cards. They are mostly for detection, they tell you what is in the garden. I have put them up and they get coated with thousands of flies but thousands more are still in the plants so it will not stop them.

Use the sticky cards to find whiteflies but then use something to get rid of them like ladybugs, lacewings, or that fungus. Do not rely on yellow cards to stop them or keep them from multiplying. Just my opinion.
Pages: 1 [2]