Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Poll

Would you recommend using LED lights?

Yes
- 6 (40%)
Yes, but only as supplemental lighting
- 2 (13.3%)
No
- 0 (0%)
I have considered using LED lighting, but haven't yet for whatever reason
- 7 (46.7%)
I have not considered using LED lighting
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: To those who have experience growing under lights  (Read 13228 times)

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
Re: To those who have experience growing under lights
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 12:53:11 AM »

The main point tho, is that if you look at the device it becomes obvious that it uses sunlight that hits a surfsce that equals its surface area at the roof, channels it down where you can expect some losses (more or less for each wavelength see above) and the lower part of the device is designet to give a great angle of irradiation.

Unless you lived in a glass house  ;) :D ;D

In all seriousness, you're completely correct. The area of the collector would be the maximum area of grow space with "full sun" conditions.

Hcc
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 12:55:22 AM by happyconcacti »

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 01:29:34 PM »

The area of the collector would be the maximum area of grow space with "full sun" conditions.

And even smaller if someone tried to exceed outside conditions (wich is what we try I guess since if we wanted outside conditions we could just put the plant outside, a usefull place presupposed.
Praise is mandatory.

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 05:23:59 AM »

Thanks for everyone's input and vote! I've opened up viewing the results of the vote to anyone including those who haven't voted yet.

Skautroll

• Happy Hoarder
  • Trader
  • Trading Score: +31
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 11:32:45 PM »

I have used setups fitted with 3w leds for three years, its an incredible tool for boosting growth.
Whether you want to stimulate height, stem thickness, branching, salvage cuttings, kick-start seedling growth, grow cacti seedlings faster than vegetables, wake up dormant cacti, stimulate flowering and so on.

I ordered parts from China and put 5 led-lamps together myself last month, its fairly easy once you get used to the soldering.

"Taking yourself too serious, is a serious sign of psychological illness"

delta9hippie

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 06:54:45 PM »

I have used setups fitted with 3w leds for three years, its an incredible tool for boosting growth.
Whether you want to stimulate height, stem thickness, branching, salvage cuttings, kick-start seedling growth, grow cacti seedlings faster than vegetables, wake up dormant cacti, stimulate flowering and so on.

I ordered parts from China and put 5 led-lamps together myself last month, its fairly easy once you get used to the soldering.

Do you use them exclusively, or with other lighting as supplement?
I kind of like plants because they made the Earth inhabitable.

Skautroll

• Happy Hoarder
  • Trader
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2014, 11:03:33 PM »

I use them as main source with daylight as supplementary, I have used them exclusively before. They work very well alone, you can also fit beam lenses on each diode to tailor the intensity profile

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2014, 11:53:09 PM »

Skautroll, can I ask you to show or explain the way you approach cooling, since I'm concerned what I designed (and am fabricating at the moment) is way overengineered (because I have calculated creepy values for W/m•K in the heatsink compound - because its new to me and I dont trust it).

Also I'd be interested if you employ any means of limiting current, or if you simply let it draw what it draws at operating voltage ?

I should get a thermometer most likely, it will not only benefit my experimentation here but also the plants.
Praise is mandatory.

Skautroll

• Happy Hoarder
  • Trader
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2014, 01:45:27 AM »

I use aluminum pcb, aluminum finned heat sink and cheap thermal paste.

The leds need active cooling, (forced convective cooling) but they dont produce a lot of heat. Its more that they are vulnerable considering they start to decompose from around 70C and upwards depending on brand.

Led power drivers are cheap and they have automatic current outputs, I just order them on aliexpress.

Calculating heat flux for every led is time consuming to get accurate, you'll get better results with a practical approach and rough estimates. I just let them run for a while then run my fingers over the pcb to check that it gets a little warm at most. If I know roughly the amount of heat being generated and temperature readings are fine then I wont bother with calculating heat transfer because I know it takes a lot of measurement cycles to get accurate.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2014, 02:16:18 AM »

Chinese thermal paste with a yellow label "Heatsink plaster" ? :D I got a sample for myself and I consider using this.

It appears I must limit the current, mine get freakishly hot even with a tricked out cooling system (that dumps way more wats than they should actually draw alltogether).

I fear I'm not on the right path without a propper limited power supply :D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 02:18:51 AM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

intotheimpossible

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +10
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2014, 12:19:01 AM »

Ive always wanted some sort of fluorescent lighting fixture to keep my globular  and seedling and seed starting going during the winter, I just hav  never kno  what the optimum output of a fixture would be. So in everyone's own opinion what do you think would be a sufficient amount of light in watts for a fluorescent fixture to keep most things goin  in the winter?

delta9hippie

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2014, 10:07:53 AM »

Ive always wanted some sort of fluorescent lighting fixture to keep my globular  and seedling and seed starting going during the winter, I just hav  never kno  what the optimum output of a fixture would be. So in everyone's own opinion what do you think would be a sufficient amount of light in watts for a fluorescent fixture to keep most things goin  in the winter?

Well, if you are talking fluorescent tubes, then just get a couple T5 tubes in a fixture. You can keep them very close to the plants' canopy; in fact, you have to, in order to supply enough light to prevent the plants from stretching. Fluorescent lighting is great for seed/seedling and cloning stages, or for shade-loving plants, but don't expect rapid growth as you over-winter with them.
I kind of like plants because they made the Earth inhabitable.

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2014, 12:26:26 PM »

With flouros and cacti go with 6500k temp bulbs.
Cactus = Life

intotheimpossible

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +10
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2014, 06:34:56 PM »

Okay thank you guys I rele want to do this so I can start allot of seeds so I get a bigger range of species going, but how does wattage come into play with this?
Pages: 1 [2]