Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Rauwolfia Serpentina germination  (Read 4280 times)

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
Rauwolfia Serpentina germination
« on: September 24, 2015, 02:20:32 AM »

Rauwolfia Serpentina
Did a little trial after seeing that in India they soak the seeds in cow urine for a few days before planting to improve germination.
Didn't want to chase a cow around with a bucket, I had a heap of seeds and was willing to try anything, so I volunteered myself.
Mrs wasn't real impressed, but hey, science!

25seeds total from 3 sources used in each sample all planted on the 25/07/15.

Sample A.
Seeds in dirt, nothing fancy. 4seedlings. Very thick and strong.

Sample B.
Seeds in dirt in a plastic takeaway container, 12seedlings.(removed and repotted immediately to stop fungal issues).

Sample C. Seeds soaked in water for 3days, then planted in dirt. 15seedlings.

Sample D. Seeds soaked in Ga3(Not sure how much, just a pinch given as a freebie sample with another purchase) Rinsed then planted in a plastic take away container. 20 seedlings.  Very fast germination, but weak lanky plants. Too much Ga3 I guess. 3 have died, fallen over, snapped. Maybe 12 healthy, the rest quite twisted.

Sample E. Seeds soaked in my undiluted slightly dehydrated bright yellow pee for 2 days, then rinsed very well and planted in a plastic takeaway container. 15seedlings!

Sample F. Seeds soaked in a 50/50 Rainwater and my pee mix for 2 days, then rinsed very well and planted in a plastic takeaway container. 21seedlings!
Very regular slow germination, one every few days. All healthy and strong.

In conclusion my recent studies have conclusively proven that serpent wood is a kinky bastard that likes golden showers.  :P

I am out of seeds, but would love to see any other folks results with these guys.
Germination is meant to be very poor, and one lot of seeds in the mix was at least 6months old.
Still great rate for all methods.

Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
Re: Rauwolfia Serpentina germination
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 03:13:52 AM »

To find out if its kinky or just "planty" one should consider doing a series of control groups with different seeds and the same treatment to see if it does something good for other species too.

Maybe you have found the "golden enhancer" for general seed germination :D
Praise is mandatory.

sporehead

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 05:55:36 AM »

Thanks for the contribution. This isn't a plant I've looked at much, though I am aware of it. It seems that I develop more interest in some plants when I see others having success. I have a steady supply of urine so if I get seeds that's just what I'll  do  :)

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 03:13:15 AM »

Well here it is the following year and I am getting the first few flowers.
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

oplopanax

• Trading Score: +139
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 03:41:43 AM »

I think I might have killed the Rauvolfia vomitoria that I grew, but maybe it is going to make it. The roots make a very nice medicine, best BP lowering herb that I have ever found...
No living organism should be illegal.