Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Poll

Do you grow organically?

Yes, I grow 100% organic.
- 13 (65%)
Yes, but I use artificial nutrients too.
- 3 (15%)
No, I do not grow using organic nutrients.
- 1 (5%)
No, but I know people who do.
- 2 (10%)
I don't grow organic, but I plan to start soon.
- 1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: April 08, 2016, 07:05:55 AM

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Organic Gardening  (Read 20166 times)

Saros

• Trading Score: +48
  • (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
Re: Organic Gardening
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2013, 07:05:36 PM »

Not sure about snails... but they do eat slugs. At least the ducks do.. Maybe my chicken are picky, but they aren't too keen on slugs. Though, occasionally they will eat them.

I relocate pests or give them to the ducks/chickens if they're around. It still makes me feel guilty for throwing them on the ground to be eaten.. but I figure they sort of have a chance.. sometimes the birds aren't interested or paying attention... and if they do get eaten, then it's helping my chicken live.

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2013, 07:32:44 PM »

I've heard a few times before that slugs and snails love the smell of beer so much that if you leave a plate of it out in your garden they will climb onto it, become drunk and drown, effectively resolving pest issues without chemical pesticides or squishing them with your feet... but I have never had issues with snails or slugs so I've never had the chance to test that out personally... also idk if it would be good to then feed those to ducks/chickens...

Cane Blossom

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +9
  • vibrational awareness
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2013, 12:48:17 PM »

i find it works best to use a cup (i use a dixie cup) that is buried to the point to where a snail could easily climb into it.

works wonders, many cups had a surprising amount of snails in them.
0 = -1 + 1
no thing = thing + unthing.
an infinite fractality of duality divided out of nothingness.
Ex nihil panton fit

cogito, ergo... cogito

the bong is my wind instrument

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2013, 04:36:54 PM »

A band of copper will keep them off your plants, or away from whatever you want forever.
Most slugs snails cant cross as it if its more than about 1cm wide, as its makes like a battery when they try.
Instant Electrolysis.
As soon as they touch it they just curl up instantly, then the come out in a minute or so, and cruise the other way unharmed.
I knew a French lady that "farmed" them in the city years ago as a protein source and its how she kept them in.
Cheap, sustainable and provided you purge them on bran diet for a week before harvest they are quite ok with white wine and garlic sauce....
No worse than mussels or clams.

If you have raised beds just a band around the base is enough to keep them off, and copper lasts for years and years, so its a good investment.
Doesn't work 100% well in really hot dry weather(no snails then anyway) but in humidity its awesome.
Next time you see a construction site raid the bins for water pipe and hammer it flat, wrap it around the base or the beds, tables/bench legs, put a strip across the ground leading into the greenhouse or whatever.
Or buy it, but there is heaps of waste in construction and I'm too tight to buy stuff like that.
Cheap and 99% effective.
And no bad karma, which is a bonus! (provided you don't eat them that is)
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact
Pages: 1 2 [3]