Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Poll

Do you grow organically?

Yes, I grow 100% organic.
- 13 (65%)
Yes, but I use artificial nutrients too.
- 3 (15%)
No, I do not grow using organic nutrients.
- 1 (5%)
No, but I know people who do.
- 2 (10%)
I don't grow organic, but I plan to start soon.
- 1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: April 08, 2016, 07:05:55 AM

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Organic Gardening  (Read 20164 times)

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
Organic Gardening
« on: July 13, 2013, 07:04:07 AM »

A friend told me that he was planning on using miracle grow to fertilize his plants. I started writing my reply to him explaining why he shouldn't and why he should grow using organic fertilizers and after around a half hour of writing later the pm started to take shape. I decided it to be forum worthy. So without further adieu, here it is(It has been added to over the past few days)-

I strongly urge you to NOT use miracle grow fertilizer. You should only use organic ferts.
A friend of mine got me to switch to growing with 100% organic ferts this year. Over the course of the past few months I have witnessed the difference first hand.

Organic gardening has many advantages. Along with increased yield and potency, it also comes with a strong sense of pride.

I like to think of it like this;
Plants you/I grow are like children. They deserve the best most natural food possible and rely on us to provide it. They cannot go out and get it themselves. It is up to us to give them the best possible sustenance we can provide.

Plants consuming miracle grow is akin to us eating an entire diet composed of generic alge fortified with processed protein and carbohydrates. Sure, it will keep them alive, but would you want that as your diet? HELL NO! It is NOT optimal in the least.

You want steak and green beans with butter, etc.!! haha!

Natural nutes like hydrolyzed fish, kelp, composted cow manure, worm castings, dried blood, crushed shells, and composed grass are the plant equivalent to our steak and veggies and miracle grow is the equivalent to our  'generic alge fortified with processed bullshit'.

See what I'm getting at?

Giving plants those things provides the micronutrients that they need, other than the big 3(P-K-N; Phosphorus-Potassium-Nitrogen)

Just as a pure diet of carbs, protein, and sugar, will only get us humans so far, the same is true for a plant on a PKN- only diet. We need macro nutes like iron, copper, and vitamins....and plants need them too.

Giving them things like the aforementioned organic nutrient mixtures will provide the right macronutrients they need to grow to their optimal potential. The result will be a bigger, faster growing, stronger, and more potent plant.
Hell, if I ate as good a diet as I feed my plants, I'd be running a 2 minute mile and benching 50x my own weight. hahah!

At first, organic gardening might seem like more work, more expensive, and overall not worth the time, effort and money. Once you get into it, it is not as bad as it appears. Most, if not all of the natural nutrient sources mentioned above can be made at home or acquired cheaply.

Composted grass is simple. If you take a bunch of grass clippings and amass them in a pile, then cover them with a black tarp(optional but optimal) and water ever few days with the hose. The heat will break it down into rich black soil. At the same time, not only will you be creating composted grass, you will also be providing a prime habitat for worms. The worms will feed from the bottom up and will excrete their castings providing even MORE nutrients to the mix.

Hydrolyzed fish is tricky to make(from what I've read), but it is very doable. Here is a link to a website that explains the entire process of making it from start to finish- http://gilcarandang.com/

Now lets move on to dried blood.

Dried blood is not something people usually have laying around. Unless you're a hunter, your going to have to buy this one. If you are a hunter, you're in luck! For all you need to do is drain the deer or what have you as usual. Instead of doing it on the ground, do it in a bucket. Spread it over a flat smooth surface if possible and let it dry in the sun. Once its dry scrape it up and spread it or mix it with your soil. This will provide a good amount of macronutrients such as iron and an assortment of salts.

If you like what I've written so far, hit the +1 karma button under my name. ;)

Peace
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 09:18:52 PM by 2centprofit »

Seed Collector

• Slow but reliable
  • Trading Score: +93
  • Oklevueha Native American Church Member
Re: Organic Gardening
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 01:23:30 PM »

Excellent post  :)

I think I will try to implement these ideas, as I realize they are more sustainable; the analogy made a lot of sense to me.

Most of those items I think I can acquire without spending lots of $, so it is definitely worth a shot.

Does one need a composting machine, one of those rotating tubs?

Thanks for the great post.

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Hibernating
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 07:03:09 PM »

No, you don't need a composting machine. They definitely help though. If you have the money you can make one. But they are by no means necessary.

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 05:51:42 PM »

Link to a nice story about non-gmo organic farming in India:

http://grist.org/food/miracle-grow-indian-farmers-smash-crop-yield-records-without-gmos/

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:51:38 AM by nobody »
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

Greentoe

• Trading Score: +238
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 03:10:22 AM »

I'll have to give this a try. Both of my brothers hunt so I'll ask them to save their wild animal blood for me. Any suggestions on what kind of quantities you should be shooting for? What would be the ideal concentration?

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Hibernating
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 07:06:14 PM »

Get as much blood as you can. It will dry to way less. Blood is 55% water. I would try to get at least 3-4 gallons of blood.

Once its dry use 1 cup of blood meal per 10 square feet of garden. All you need to do is spread it on the soil and water it in.

Mandrake

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 01:08:51 AM »

Just leaving an interesting resource for organic users based in the US :)

Organic Plants, Seeds and Supplies Mail-Order Vendors

Here you will find mail-order garden companies that specialize in providing organically grown plants and seeds, as well as supplies for the organic gardener. These companies are also listed under their areas of speciality, so you will find them in such categories as General, Vegetables, and Supplies.

Thanks for the thread,

Mandrake

Greentoe

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 01:37:54 AM »

Do you have to dry the blood out or could you just water your plants with blood? Would it need to be watered down?

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Hibernating
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 04:15:29 AM »

I'm not sure. I have never heard of anyone using fresh blood.

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 03:47:13 AM »

Blood like manure should never be used fresh, it will burn your plants. If you must add blood or manure to soil while still fresh you should allow it to mellow for at least a month before planting anything.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:47:49 AM by nobody »
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Hibernating
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 05:05:15 AM »

I was reading yesterday that fresh blood will also attract bugs.

Greentoe

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 05:37:45 PM »

That makes sense. I was just thinking about how strange it would look watering my plants with blood.

On the subject of manure, is there anything special you need to do to it or can I just pick up any old sun baked cow turd and its ready to go?

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Hibernating
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 07:10:38 PM »

Crushing it into a powder would make it easier to disperse it more evenly. Other than that, I would only spread it around adult nitrogen loving plants or adult plants displaying signs of nitrogen deficiency, not seedlings.

Mandrake

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 01:59:35 PM »

This thread has been moved to the new Eco-Garden section :)

Kind regards,

Mandrake

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 07:29:17 PM »

Very awesome thread! I only do organic and wouldn't have it any other way! Don't forget the one we produce for free all the time...pee! Mix it a 20:1 water to pee for cacti and such or mix at 5:1 or 3:1 for veggies and flowers. Works good if applied two to three times weekly as it is not that potent and won't burn if done correctly. Peace
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 07:34:51 PM by MadPlanter »
Spreading love!
Pages: [1] 2 3