Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Experimental ideas/theories to be tested or discussed  (Read 4572 times)

modern

• Trading Score: +199
Experimental ideas/theories to be tested or discussed
« on: June 07, 2015, 06:32:56 PM »

I've posted a similar thread to this on another site which related to cacti and lots of experiments to induce crested/monstrose and other results with cacti.

This thread I hope to be similar but can also include just random ideas that you would like to see tested on plants; unlike the other thread where we mostly just discussed the ideas I'd like for us here to actually attempt a few that seem likely or includes a common plant which many can easily test all at once.

So lets hear your ideas, even ideas that may not be possible (grafting a cactus onto a tree) may lead to an alternative that can be done. Include grafting combinations, inducing via chemicals, in vitro plant experiments,  whatever comes to mind.

---------------

The first idea to be discussed is grafting Psychotria viridis. This has has been done according to reports from other growers by grafting onto P. alba or another Psychotria.  The idea of grafting would be to provide faster growth and hardier plant but maintain the profile of the leaves.

The idea I've had is to graft P.V. onto Kratom (Mitragyna speciosa). The closer the plants being grafted are to one another, the higher to success rate. Plants of the same family tend to be successful and Kratom is in the coffee family as well, Rubiaceae. Sunshine and I were briefly discussing this on the shoutout box and Ss mentioned that it may fail do to kratom being woody, however fresh growth is softer and PV also has woody growth when older so perhaps a traditional tree graft would resolve this.

Both of these plants are relatively easy to propagate so you wouldn't risk losing the genetics and cost is lower. I will test this in the future once my P.viridis seedlings are larger and I can obtain a kratom clone. A whip and tongue graft seems like it would have the most success as most would likely be grafting on thinner/newer growth rather than tree stumps.
Best time to sow is 5 years ago...

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
Re: Experimental ideas/theories to be tested or discussed
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 07:19:25 PM »

If you want to experiment, theres one established and effective technique I've never seen exploited in entheogens: graft induced genetic variant breeding.
Remember how in school you were taught that there is NO genetic cross-over in grafted plants? Most people are taught this in highschool and for me it was even repeated in college. But a breeder can force exceptions to that rule!
A mature plant is obtained and little seedlings from the same, or a similar, species are grafted on all over the thing. As soon as the grafts take hold flowering is induced. Some of those little grafted seedlings make fruit and in 0.1 to 4% of cases they 'absorb' anywhere from 1 to 40% (usually closer to 5%) of the genetic material from the grafting stock into the ovule (the 'egg' that makes the seed). By that method researchers that dont mind doing a ton of work can pick up individual target traits without making a traditional hybrid. There are dozens of scientific papers published on this, its real, its just obscure because by the time it was perfected and started to come into use recombinant genetic engineering was invented and took over all the funding and interest, so to the big boys this grafting technology is crude, quaint, and not profitable. But its still a viable technology.

modern

• Trading Score: +199
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 08:26:04 PM »

Auxin that sounds very interesting and would indeed be nice to experiment. So just to get an idea of what your saying I could have a flowering/mature Psychotria viridis and graft say a Coffea arabica and it MAY get a 'hybrid' in the seeds from that branch; instead of attempting to cross the incompatible species?

This is indeed very interesting and I will look into it more.
Best time to sow is 5 years ago...

Auxin

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 09:06:43 PM »

That would be a pretty wide cross. More likely would be grafting loads of P. viridis seedlings on P. carthagenensis in an attempt to get a P. viridis thats easier and faster to grow.
The scion has to be a seedling, and has to go into flowering very soon after grafting. Those are the two most essential components of the technique. Even then, researchers typically do at least 1,000 grafts- consider, a 1% chance of cross-over and then a 1 in 20 chance of the right trait going over, its always an ambitious project lol

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 03:46:39 AM »

Well, I think the original idea is just to supply a grafting base to speed up growth. Cross-over is as good as impossible in our users scales. Also yeah, the chance of getting anything favourable is just as low again, so I wouldnt speculate on that but eho knows maybe a very lucky shot + a fast growing PV that ypu'll get anyways.

I once read a document about a method to imrpove chances of crossing genes over in a cut drastically, but neither do I remember where I read it nor what it said but I know its out there. I think callus was extracted from the actual area of the graft and then multiplied in microculture and raised to be nice plants. Now turning callus growth into a self sustaining plant is something I have never tried and I know its fairly labor intensive.
Praise is mandatory.

Auxin

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 05:40:43 AM »

Never underestimate how determined and/or fanatical people in the ethnobotany scene might be  ;)
For instance, I found it bothersome that I had no fresh vegetables in my garden in february. So I'm breeding mustard and tatsoi to grow right through winter, thats 400 tatsoi plants and 600 mustard plants each winter, along with a few other vegetables.
And I like blueberries so I'm growing 500 blueberry bushes looking for the few that might thrive in my pH 8.2 desert climate... and thats just for snack food!  :P

Not to mention that if a truly improved, say, Psychotria viridis were made the person could get a plant variety protection certificate on it and get royalties from anyone who sells it. I know I wouldnt mind getting a dime for every Phalaris AQ1 sale that has ever occurred...

If anyone will make hundreds or a thousand grafts, I dont know, but modern asked for far out but viable ideas 8)