Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Obviously I am new  (Read 6728 times)

DukeLiam

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +5
Obviously I am new
« on: June 09, 2013, 11:43:10 AM »

When I heard about this site, the idea caught my interest quickly. I stopped by and looked around a bit, to come out please and wanted to join. I do not have a lot of experience, but I have always enjoyed plants. I find them beautiful, interesting, needed, and sometimes useful.
I have always wanted to start growing my own and even though I have had experiencxe with basic house plants and others that grow in my home area(a dessert), I want to try some new plants I have found while searching the internet.
I am looking for some dessert plants with color that do not naturally grow near me.
I dont believe I could grow all of the plants I want to without making special environment areas around my home for the plants I would really like to(I love the beauty of acacias), but there are others that I would like to start with that should be easier. If anybody has any ideas as to good plants to start with, I would be most pleased for advice.
I do not want to just grow the basic garden variety I could find at a regular store.
Besides acaicia, I am interested in Mimosa and Phalarus, but I dont think I will get into those untill I move a couple years from now. Desmanthus I figured would not be a bad place to start in my new garden and they dont grow near me, so I believe it definitely would be a pleasant start.
Well being a little uneducated(excluding basic gardening), I hope I can fit it.
Thanks for readin
Beggining, assisting, and nursing life in our world.
Grow your seeds!!

Mandrake

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +13
Re: Obviously I am new
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 02:27:22 PM »

Hello DukeLiam,

thank you for your post and for joining. If you want to grow plants that thrive in a desertic or semi-desertic climate, you actually have more choices than it might seem at first. Besides succulents, many hardy perennials (including a bunch of interesting Fabaceae species to boot) are suitable with a little care. And of course you can always set a little indoor/greenhouse space for plants that require a different environment, as you suggest.

Looking forward to hear from your growing.

Welcome to STS!

Mandrake

DukeLiam

• Trader
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 03:55:25 AM »

Thank you for the information. That should help me as a good place to start.
Grow your seeds!!

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 11:17:44 PM »

Welcome DukeLiam.  You should grow some prickly pear or some blueberry cactus!
Cactus = Life

DukeLiam

• Trader
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 12:08:50 AM »

Prickly pear is on my to do list. The pear is hard to eat though. I havent figured out how to take of the pricks well yet without pricking myself
Grow your seeds!!