Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Datura ID Help  (Read 3405 times)

XDX

• Trading Score: +72
Datura ID Help
« on: September 16, 2016, 08:33:47 PM »

Hi all!
Just relocated, and found a bunch of dead dried datura in the backyard! Just would like some second opinions on this ID. Don't have much left to work with, but I'm thinking Datura stramonium as it looks like the pods grew upwards. But I thought stramonium had dark shiny seeds... Are these not mature? Or is it a different species? I've grown Brugmansia for years, but don't really know how to identify the different datura species too well. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

XDX

• Trading Score: +72
Re: Datura ID Help
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 08:44:26 PM »

And then, idk the best place to post this, so I'll just include it here...
There's this cute lil wooly cactus here as well. I know they are not trichs, but still cool cacti and I'd like to give them the proper care, so I need an ID... My thoughts are Cleistocactus vs. Cephalocereus vs Espostoa.... Or something else entirely?? What's the difference between all these?? Clearly I'm not the cactus expert either ha...
Thanks again!

rakeandbake

• TF Mod
  • Trading Score: +181
  • In the moment.....
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 07:36:07 PM »

I am by no means a Datura expert. I have only recently started researching these myself and collected wild seeds but yet to grow then. I believe only the Datura stramonium have the upright pods. Also while collected wild seeds of my own the other day it appeared the darker seeds you speak of are more mature seeds. That is based only upon my visual experience and my own research so please don't regard it as fact but merely an educated guess. If you decide to germinate and grow some I'd love to chit chat and share personal growing experiences along the way. PM me if interested.
Everyone carries a piece of the puzzle. Nobody comes into your life by mere coincidence. Trust your instincts. Do the unexpected. Find the others.
~Timothy Leary~

Leopardgecko44

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +21
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 01:45:08 AM »

These are Datura stramonium for sure. You should know there are a few varieties of stramonium, I grew a monster 2 inch thick stemmed datura stramonium var. tatula last year that threw out over 5000 seeds id say . Seeds can range from light brown to Black.

rakeandbake

• TF Mod
  • Trading Score: +181
  • In the moment.....
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 03:00:58 AM »

I had no idea there were different varieties. Do you have an easy way to distinguish them? Thanks!
Everyone carries a piece of the puzzle. Nobody comes into your life by mere coincidence. Trust your instincts. Do the unexpected. Find the others.
~Timothy Leary~