Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 35

Author Topic: Plant Identification Thread  (Read 188908 times)

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
Re: Plant Identification Thread
« Reply #225 on: June 01, 2015, 12:32:54 AM »

I thought this was an acacia floribunda but idk now any thoughts?

This looks like it maybe a very poisonous Oleander,
and the tree might be a Cypress, but just guessing.

If it is an Oleander thats fantasitic looks beautiful! I havent seen the flower. But I'll post it if I see it.
I think you might be right, Cypress makes sense... THANKS!!!

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #226 on: June 01, 2015, 02:24:45 AM »

I have something, hope it belongs here, sadly I have only a vague description so far.

There is a plant that is eaten in china (and other asian countries ?) and its called something along the lines "cool salad" or "ice salad" or "frozen salad". Its said to be rare and so far only growing in the wild and not possible to domesticate (we shall prove them wrong).

All I have seen so far was what was on my plate so many times: Green leaves with raised "spots" that appear like water droplets but are more "solid" they dont run of they are part of the plant and stay in place. Theese droplets are on the stems of the leaves and the leaves.

Anyone familiar with chinese cuisine ?

Needles to say: I am loving it, if I was to only eat one thing, maybe the above !
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 03:00:54 AM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

sporehead

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #227 on: June 01, 2015, 02:57:39 AM »

Right. So any idea what it could be then lol.

Here's something else Idk what is

I'm hoping to have most of these beautiful plants IDed, been wondering what they are too long.

Taxodium distichum, or bald cypresss

Botanicus

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +163
« Reply #228 on: June 02, 2015, 05:32:11 PM »

I thought this was an acacia floribunda but idk now any thoughts?

Podocarpus
"We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden"

sporehead

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #229 on: June 06, 2015, 02:09:01 AM »

What is this is? Came from residential landscape. It's a vine. Woody growth in age, purplish vegetative type when young. Got some cuttings :)

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #230 on: June 06, 2015, 02:12:31 AM »

Could be many things, like Ampelospsis, Humulus ... nah no Humulus now that I see the things in the background, I highly suspect aaaany Vitaceae :D
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 02:17:56 AM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
« Reply #231 on: June 06, 2015, 08:41:50 PM »

It looks like variegated Ampelopsis brevipedunculata

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #232 on: June 06, 2015, 08:43:45 PM »

Or a sick one ...
btw if its an Ampelospsis im still looking for one !
Praise is mandatory.

Auxin

« Reply #233 on: June 07, 2015, 09:11:24 PM »

Found this critter in with my leeks, my instincts say its burn medicine and I want to know if I'm right, lol

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
« Reply #234 on: June 07, 2015, 10:48:35 PM »

Looks like some sort of Speedwell http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veronica_%28plant%29 but idk which one. Possibly a tonic..

"About Common Speedwell; The plant has diaphoretic, alterative, diuretic, expectorant and tonic properties,
was formerly employed in pectoral and nephritic complaints, haemorrhages, diseases of the skin and in the treatment of wounds.
Modern herbalists still consider that an infusion of the dried plant is useful in coughs, catarrh, etc., and is a simple and effective remedy in skin diseases. "

Good call on guessing burn medicine! Though you should probably identify exactly which Veronica Sppecies before using it.
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

Auxin

« Reply #235 on: June 07, 2015, 11:30:16 PM »

Thanks! Thats just what I needed, dichotomous key did the rest.
It appears I have Veronica anagallis-aquatica  :D
lol, from pfaf.org:
The plant is bruised and applied externally as a poultice on burns, ulcers, whitlows, etc[240].

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #236 on: June 11, 2015, 06:25:37 AM »

This took me a while to figure out but it is figured out. Still I post on here its the ID thread and I think its helpful. Its about the identification about three species of that I am absolutely sure I have seen and in posession two, maybe all three. Namely: Fragaria Vesca, Potentilla Sterilis and Potentilla Indica

Fragaria Vesca

Fragaria Vesca is the original and natural strawberry that I absolutely love since ever, as they always grew in my area and they are heavenly delicious, tasty, fragrant and aromatic. Yet small :)
It is easy to tell one is looking at them, first of all they generally resemble strawberries with trifoilate toothed leaves, spreading by runners and so on. Most obvious would be: The fruit, as described above, sadly the fruit wont always show up, in that case it can be distinguished from Potentilla Sterilis by the leaves: The terminal tooth on the leave, so the last tooth opposing the leaves stem, extends beyond the ones on either side of it, as opposed to P. Sterilis where the last tooth will be extend only so far to level out with those on either side or even be shorter. In my experience its best to tell from new growth because the teeth on the leaves might show signs of burn. Then also Fragaria Vesca has petals that are close to each other whilst P. Sterilis petals barely touch sometimes even dont touch at all. The sepals of Fragaria Vesca will be shorter than those of P. Sterilis and barely visible in front view because of the perals covering them, in P. Sterilis the longer sepals can be seen on between the petals again, because of the petals spacing.

Potentilla Sterilis

I could not find any use for P. Sterilis yet, still, to identify it there is several clues additional to those above. Especially P. Sterilis does not produce true runners and also you will find more of an orange in the flower while the Fragaria Vesca is yellow, also the shape of the flowers center appears to be different. Whilst Fragarias center is a round filled bump the Potentillas center is a hollow circle.

Potentilla Indica

Potentilla Indica is an asian species that is invasive in many areas and produces fruits that resemble strawberries at first glimpse, but: The seeds arent recessed in the "berry" but raised above its surface and also the seeds will be red instead of the usual yellow. The fruit will be protected by an arrangement of leaves that will later fold back, unlike as in Fragaria Vesca. The fruits are white inside, the fruits are edible but taste close to nothing.  I found the Potentilla Indicas terminal tooth to be longer than the neighboring ones and the leaves are used as skin eczema treatment.
Rose that might be the solution to your intimate problem btw, and what does "secret" mean ? :D

I have no own 100% sure picture of a P Sterilis as I'm not sure if I have yet ran into one. At least two of these are of some use so keep your eyes open for fruits, tea and so on. Uuuuhhh and I can supply #1 and #3 :)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 02:47:57 PM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #237 on: June 20, 2015, 03:54:57 AM »

Unknown Acacia of some sort from Hawaii. Any ideas?
Hoping for Acacia confusa and figure someone here will know for sure.
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #238 on: June 20, 2015, 05:29:29 AM »

Yes, it is Acacia confusa.  :)
Do you know what island it came from?

nobody
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #239 on: June 20, 2015, 08:06:20 AM »

Thanks nobody!
From Oahu.
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 35