Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Plants Can You Propagate From Cuttings  (Read 6677 times)

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
Plants Can You Propagate From Cuttings
« on: March 27, 2014, 12:49:49 PM »

Succulents
Succulents, such as the jade plant, are propagated using leaf cuttings. Leaf cuttings on succulents are produced by simply breaking a leaf from the stem, dipping it into a rooting hormone and planting one-third of the leaf into the rooting mix. Once inserted, maintain the rooting mix in a damp condition making sure not to overwater. Perlite and vermiculite can also be added to the root mixture to encourage growth and prevent rot.

Bromeliads
Bromeliads include plants such as the pineapple and are known for their superior adaptability, sometimes even finding growing room on telephone lines. Bromeliads including the pineapple can be grown from leaf cuttings. These cuttings should be placed in water and given full sun. Once shoots reach about 2 inches, the plant can be transplanted into well draining soil with fertilizer.

Gesneriaceae
The family Gesneriaceae include flowers such as the African violet. These flowers are also propagated by leaf cuttings. Leaf cuttings should be taken in the spring. Plant the leaf one-third of its depth in sand. Keep the sand well watered to see small plants springing from the cutting within two to six months.

Salicaceae
Salicaceae include willows and cottonwood trees. This family of trees and shrubs produces flowers and fruit but can also be propagated through cutting of hardwood stems from new growth. Cut in winter or late fall, when moisture loss is at its minimum and cut a recent length of stem that exhibits fresh budding. Remove any buds at the base of the stem and cut a 1-inch slice along the side of the bark at the base of the stem. Apply root hormone and plant in root mix including vermiculite to achieve optimal growth.

Rosaceae
Roses are propagated not by leaf or hardwood cuttings, but by stem cuttings. Cut the stem from a recent bud that still has flowers fading on it. Pick a stem that has leaves attached to promote immediate photosynthesis. As with the willow cutting, wound the cutting an inch from the base and clear off any buds within 2 inches from the base. Roses create a chemical called auxin that provides root stimulation without the need for root hormone.

Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

zeker

• Trading Score: +1
Re: Plants Can You Propagate From Cuttings
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 03:19:24 PM »

the willows got to be one of the easiest there is to propagate .. as well as most poplars.. I have dapple willow and corkscrew willow that .. even I... can make new starts..

btw.. goji are another extremely easy to propagate from cutting. very healthy for you too.. lotsa vic and good stuffs

cantharis

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +15
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 03:32:48 PM »

Many years ago, when I was about 10, I was walking home - saw a lavender bush in a garden - pulled a tiny sprig off.  I pushed it into my father´s garden and forgot all about it.  A couple of months later there was a small plant which quickly grew into a large bush - then there were 10 bushes!!  It totally blew me away !!
Earth has enough for man´s need - but not for man´s greed  -  Ghandi

AcaciaAve

• West Coast Zone 8b
  • Trading Score: +166
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 07:24:46 PM »

My pup ran over a gleditsia triacanthos inermis(3ft) seedling and 3 medium sized branches with A little bit of green fell off.
Put them in water and left for awhile
Returned and they all have more foliage than the mama seedling.

So Honeylocust
Gleditsia Triacanthos inermis
May be propagated from cuttings
Grow Phalaris grass
Climb Acacia Trees

Carnival

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +1
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 05:12:08 AM »

Lamiaceae

This is the mint family, to which S. Divinorum, C. Blumei and common mint belong. They're generally pretty easy to propagate by cuttings, I've done all three. There are tons of teks online, but the gist of it is: get a stem 4-8 in long, remove all but 3-4 leaves, place the stem root-side down in distilled water and use a rubber band to affix a plastic bag over the mouth of the vessel you're rooting in (for a humidity tent).

Honestly, for common mint and Coleus, you don't really need the humidity tent.

I've also gotten C. Zacatechichi cuttings to root pretty effectively from cuttings as well.
Anyone with an interest in toxic plants should message me!

Ian Morris

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +52
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 09:25:41 PM »

Basil -

I am not 100% that they are all this easy but Thai and Common can both be rooted by simply cutting a stem and sitting it in water. 

I keep refreshing my supply over the year by doing so and in a south facing window they even strike roots in winter.

GeeLucy!

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +7
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 03:33:12 AM »

Starting grabbing cuttings from my mother passionflower in preparation for the fall. Roots have started in plain water no problem, haven't moved to pots yet....

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 05:33:03 AM »

Mint, Salvia, dagga, passiflora, basil, kanna, trichocerus and coleus all root easily with just plain water or water soaked sand in my experience. Mint and dagga can be pretty invasive just so you know...

Some that I've heard can be propagated from cuttings but I've failed with- Kratom, HWBR, Rubber tree

I'm currently trying to root coffea arabica and a few others...

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 01:46:30 AM »

So when you say leaf cuttings from pineapples how exactly?
Do you mean the whole top planted like they do on the farms, or can you get a single leaf to root as well?
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 07:52:17 AM »

It's probably similar to the first thing in this video I posted a while back http://sharetheseeds.me/forum/index.php?topic=1193.msg7981#msg7981 according to the video it takes 18 months after it is planted in soil.

I can also say that Ficus can be started from cuttings, I have a small Ficus roughly a foot tall (unknown which species) that was started from a cutting by my aunt; I'm pretty sure I remember her saying that she doesn't need to use rooting hormone, just cut the branch below a node at a 45° angle and root it in water.

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 06:47:43 PM »

So when you say leaf cuttings from pineapples how exactly?

Pineapples root very easily, but when I said by leaves I mean the crown.

After cutting  the crown at the limit of the Fruit, you will then have to remove lower leaves to reveal the stem. Then placed it into a container with water that covers the lower stem portion.

In the right conditions, mainly high temperature, the roots can grow approximately 1 inch long after 12 days. Transplanting the pineapple cutting into a pot will require the roots be 2 or more inches long.

But you gave me an idea for an experiment: I'll try this method with single leaf and see if it works. ::)
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

• Trading Score: +2
  • ___/23\___/23\___
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 01:22:13 AM »

I'm rooting 3 kiwi regrowths but its a difficult, it's week 2 and still no roots
Zone: Caput Mundi

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 01:27:07 AM »

Awesome 23! How are you trying to root them? :)

I am totally going to try the pineapple thing. I had no idea that you could do that.

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 05:11:04 AM »

On the farms, up north they cut off the tops and chuck them in big cages, pretty much just a huge shopping trolley.
Then 6-12months later they just shove them in the ground, points facing up.(Well actually the backpackers do that for minimum wage  :P ).
Stinking prickly job, but 90% grow roots and survive, even though there is lots of rot and rat chews in them.
Very cool really, to come back a couple months later and see all the new green growth.

I got all excited for a minute about the thought of 1 leaf making one plant, and doing away with that poorly paid, stinking, Leptospirosis attracting job.
Had beautiful images of a tray of 100 nice clean freshly cut tops, in a lab/cleanroom somewhere, instead of 10 or 20 rat infested stinking rotten bins full on every farm.  ::)
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact