Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Stipa Robusta Germination  (Read 3822 times)

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
Stipa Robusta Germination
« on: May 30, 2015, 05:46:57 PM »

Genus - Stipa
Species - Robusta
Common name - Sleepy Grass
Other names - Achnatherum robustum
Pre-Treatment - Required, (30 days cold moist stratification)
Hardiness zones - 3 - 9
Height - 5' / 1,5m
Spread - 2'-3' / 0.6m - 1m
Plant type - Perennial, Decorative Grass
Vegetation type - Deciduous
Exposure - Full Sun, Partial Sun
Soil PH - Acidic, Neutral, Alkaline
Soil type - Clay, Loam, Well drained
Water requirements - Drought Tolerant, Average Water
Landscape uses - Accent in meadows, close to your house or in dried arrangements.
Germination rate - 90%
Leaf / Flower color - Green / Light Green
Plant growth rate - Medium

Stipa robusta is a perennial grass and is quite frequently infected with acremonium fungus. This fungus contains compounds that can cause drowsiness and stupor in grazing horses, which has led to the nickname “sleepy grass”.  Aside from this name, species in the genus stipa are commonly known as “feather grass”, and they are grown ornamentally for landscaping purposes.

The germination instructions that came with the seeds claim that this specie need a cold stratification for 1 month and they should be placed in a dark place to germinate successfully. It happens that I decided to try a different approach. While the seeds are in the fridge getting a cold treatment I placed  6/8 seeds in a regular soil mixed with perlite, at  20°C ( 68 °Fa) in a humidity tend on a sunny spot.

After 6 days most of the seeds germinated  ;)

In a couple of weeks I'll germinated the stratificated seeds and compare the results. So far I'm happy with this method.

Does anyone have experience growing this specie? There's a lack of information about it online.. Only found This

Thanks for reading!
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.