Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Salvia Divinorum seedlings from propagated seeds  (Read 45458 times)

When

Re: Salvia Divinorum seedlings from propagated seeds
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 05:52:54 PM »

Day 11 photo shoot
The other little guy is starting on the first true leaves, so tiny... sorry not seen in pic

When

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 08:42:59 PM »

60x magnification of Salvia D seedling leaves

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 08:43:50 PM »

You have got Salvia on your dust. ;)
Praise is mandatory.

When

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 09:15:22 PM »

You have got Salvia on your dust. ;)

Hahaha, ya that little thread of dust is so small I can't see it, until I take a picture. :)
I'm not messing with it.  ;)

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2015, 07:09:44 PM »

Huh, I thought I had commented on this thread before but I guess not. I seem to be one of the few that got their salvia plants to flower as well. I had a beast of a mother plant that I was taking cuttings from which I eventually just let grow out. She must be 1.5-2 feet tall and is branching out like crazy due to all the supercropping/cutting taking.

Anyways, I have her growing under florescent lights and during the winter at one point she was only getting 5-8 hours of light max a day. She started getting those tell-tale signs of flowering so I kept her at those light hours. I do not think age is a factor which plays into flowering. I really think uninterrupted hours of darkness is the defining factor. (14+ hours of pure darkness being needed).

Temperature may play a secondary role, mind you I'm only speculating on this. The temperature in my house can drop pretty low in winter due to inadequate heating and just the fact that it's an old house and doesn't hold heat all that well. I'd say it dropped no lower than 55F, but probably hung closer to 65F during most of the winter.

So anyway, the mother plant flowered and I must have gotten 10-20 or so pods of the plant. Each pod had 4 seeds iirc. The flower would stick out it's style(the white part that catches pollen I presume), and fall off within a day or two max and leave the bottom part; the seed pod, on the plant. The seed pod would take no more than a day to fall off and only several hours to dry out most of the way.

So in the excitement, I started planting the pods at all stages of development. I planted them before they fell of the plant and after, and before they dried out and after. I had never thought to put some in a bag and let them sit for a while before planting. I just presumed they lost viability very quickly like caapi or iboga.

All the while, my coleus was flowering at the same time. So I got the idea to try and make a salvia-coleus cross in the hope that since they were from the same family that they'd at least make a sterile hybrid. No luck though. I think what actually happened is that the one 'seed' that actually did sprout was just a coleus seed that found it's way into where I was planting the salvia seeds.

Fast forward to today, the seeds have been sitting in moist moss for months now. I was looking at your pictures, and the seedlings you have happen to look identical to the ones sprouting out of where I planted the salvia seeds. They didn't sprout until this past month. So here's to hoping that they're salvia seedlings. :D

« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 07:12:03 PM by Sunshine »

When

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 02:16:52 AM »

Hi,
Thanks for taking the time to comment and to tell your story. I hope you have positive results from your salvia and possible seedlings!
 :)

When

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 02:25:04 AM »

Wow, time is flying by... The little ones are progressing well, slowly but healthy. The growing conditions haven't changed and they are responding well to the natural light. I think there might be faster growth now that they've had a few weeks to develop their root systems.

Here's an update from day 22

P.s. Hey Bubblecat, no more dust fuzz !!  ;)

« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 02:31:03 AM by When »

SlowGrow

• Trading Score: +7
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2015, 02:34:10 AM »

looking great so far, but they really are close  :'( :'( :'( :'(

When

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 03:08:18 AM »

looking great so far, but they really are close  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Thanks  :) I think they'll be ok, I don't have any intentions of separating them risking potential damage. They are aware of their close proximity and are growing apart, I'm hoping their competition will be a beneficial one.
Stay tuned  :)

Radium

• Trading Score: +2
  • When I die, plz compost me :)
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2015, 01:03:40 PM »

I really would appreciate a few Salvia D seeds.
My country doesn't allow cuttings to enter.
They only allow seeds to pass the border.
I am willing to trade a few seeds with Mod Edit.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 06:53:48 AM by happyconcacti »
Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2015, 01:47:31 AM »

This is pretty awesome to see!! I wish the best for your little salvia babies.

New Wisdom
Cactus = Life

When

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2015, 07:51:57 PM »

This is pretty awesome to see!! I wish the best for your little salvia babies.

New Wisdom

Thanks NW  :)
They're quite a sight up close, I never thought I'd have this opportunity to grow salvia d seedlings, I'm so careful not to interfere with their progress.

Day 25
Sophia has decided to throw a root out above soil level, neat.

sporehead

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2015, 02:13:03 AM »

I'm so happy for you! This is quite monumental. I do hope these babies make it. Hopefully you found some magic genes that allows viable seed setting for this plant.

When

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2015, 09:25:58 PM »

I'm so happy for you! This is quite monumental. I do hope these babies make it. Hopefully you found some magic genes that allows viable seed setting for this plant.

Thanks dude, That would be nice.
I'm looking forward to seeing how these turn out. I plan on cloning then crossing them back with the mother and with each other if I'm lucky enough to have them all flowering together. Eventually I'd like to have 2 or more seed clones to flower and cross them to possibly stabilize viable seed production.

Hopefully there will be more research with Salvia D, there seems to be some work to be done here.

Cheers!

When

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2015, 05:31:29 PM »

Day 29 ...

Sonya and Sophia
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6