Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Anyone have experience germinating Datura innoxia with good success?  (Read 5960 times)

Seed Collector

• Slow but reliable
  • Trading Score: +93
  • Oklevueha Native American Church Member

Anyone have experience germinating Datura innoxia with good success?

I don't intend to consume the plant, as that is highly recommended against. I only want to grow the plant from seed to seed.

I want to hear about germination success stories, and germination failure stories.

Is this a good way? http://www.gardenguides.com/77049-germinate-datura.html
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 12:39:56 AM by Seed Collector »

hereje

• Trading Score: +90
  • Zone: 5a 5b
Re: Anyone have experience germinating Datura innoxia with good success?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 10:51:31 PM »

I know this is a different species but its of the same genus so maby they will germinate in the same way

I recieved some datura str. seeds from an sts member a couple weeks ago and read that keeping them very warm helps germination and it seemed to work for me as i got three of the seeds sprouted yesterday

No water soak
no hormone
Just pit them straight in well hydrated soil with a dome to hold in moisture above the fridge which stays warm (~90°F)
And it took about six days before i seen my first sprout

« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 10:54:27 PM by hereje »
Hmmm... what does this button do?

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 05:10:12 AM »

I want to hear about germination success stories, and germination failure stories.

100mm pots, good soil mix, 3seeds per pot maybe 10mm deep.
Watered well, crossed fingers.
9weeks later they were getting planted out in the rows.
Averaged out to 1plant per pot (couple doubles, couple empty, so about 30% success all told)
Not as high as with stramonium, and not as many seeds per pod/plant, but still pretty easy, potentially weedy.

Got hundreds of them now.
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

Seed Collector

• Slow but reliable
  • Trading Score: +93
  • Oklevueha Native American Church Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 05:45:41 PM »

Well, the following method works much better than the previously attempted method (hot water treatment -> 24hr soak -> moist dirt). [This method has not yet produced any sprouts, albeit 9 weeks hasn't elapsed].
About the same time I asked about this here, I also asked on a chat-room on another forum, and here is the advice I received:

[Using hot water; approximately 140F] Soak the seeds 24 hours in gibberillic acid solution [I used 700ppm ga3] (Calculating Parts Per Million); during this period the water will cool, so I placed it on top of a fluorescent light setup (to keep the solution warm). After the 24 hours, strain the water to isolate seeds; soak a paper towel in warm water, and put those seeds onto it; place that paper towel inside a [3/4 open] zip-lock plastic bag.
Check for germination in 3-4 days.

I would like to report what I'd consider good success with the above described method, approx. 40% to 55% of the seeds I did this way have already begun to germinate; the remaining seeds received another hot water treatment, and went back into a paper towel for another 3-4 day period.

Note : I am actually using cotton rags, instead of paper towels currently, due to my preference for Viva brand paper towels (I don't have any of the kind I prefer).
I find I'm reasonably happy with the rag method, especially if I don't wait until the root grows long enough to penetrate the rag (that is problematic if one waits too long).

Update: After another hot water treatment on the ungerminating seeds, and another 4 days in the rag-bag setup, over 70% germinated.
:)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 05:28:29 PM by Seed Collector »

Carnival

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +1
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 08:51:46 PM »

Datura Inoxia are pretty much self-propelled once they really get going. I had too many last summer and ended up having to throw a few out, where the immediately started blooming and taking root in my trash can.

I just stuck the seeds under about 5mm of soil, put them under a plastic cover with a little water and left them by the windowsill. They were coming up within a week with something like a 60% germination rate.

Good luck!
~Carnival
Anyone with an interest in toxic plants should message me!

Specialty

• Whats up team?
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 02:44:00 AM »

I have normally just planted them in early spring covered with a humidity dome datura likes high humidity to germinate. I attempted to do it indoors but didnt have the right RH levels once summer it and the days were 25ºC with a rh in the 70-80's they popped for me in around 7-12 days. I also threw a bunch of seeds across the street from me in a feild too see how they act wildly. Any datura genuis can get massive. Ive seen flowers 3-5inches wide. When I pot grow them say 10gallon pot id put maybe 5-7 shoots in a pot once germinated. They dont need alot of room.