Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Growing Codariocalyx motorius (aka Telegraph Plant aka Dancing Grass from seed  (Read 7320 times)

matkeel

I've just received a new batch of Codariocalyx motorius (aka Telegraph Plant aka Dancing Grass) seeds in the mail from Hong Kong today.

I tried last year, in Los Angeles, to germinate and grow them with little luck. I was able to germinate them, using all the info I could find online, but simply could not keep them alive for more than a few weeks. I recall I used proper soil, sun, filtered water etc.

I am hoping to grow and sustain a solid 10-20 plants for use in a time-lapse art film project.

Is there anyone out there who has had good success with them and may be able to impart some wisdom - I would really like to succeed with this this time.

Very best
M

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit

I tried last year, in Los Angeles, to germinate and grow them with little luck. I was able to germinate them, using all the info I could find online, but simply could not keep them alive for more than a few weeks. I recall I used proper soil, sun, filtered water etc.
Interesting plant!  I hope you find someone with experience growing it but if you don't, starting a grow log will get  many members of the forum involved.  I don't have any experience with this plant but I've found that ph levels of the soil and water could play an important part in growing success.

Please post what it is that comprises the proper soil, sun, and water you have had success with germinating seeds in the past.

Wishing you great success. :)
pl

"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

sporehead

• Trading Score: +85

Aka desmodium gyrans? I have five or six happy ones. They are about a foot tall and branching, as well as growing consistently. Have not had any problems with them thus far. I give them little attention as they haven't seemed to be having troubles.

I boiled water and steeped them in it to hydrate the seeds, I did not remove them from the pod and instead, sowed directly to potting soil. This was kept moist until germination occurred, a week or two later. They were kept in humidity until they reached the dome. I transplanted them into a slightly more well draining soil and have kept moist since then. I don't know how old they are, but I would estimate six months or more. They have been fed a couple of times with a balanced fertilizer and remain moist until they dry for a day, and then get watered again. I made no ph adjustments and used only tap water. They are directly beneath lights indoors with rh of 50-60 and temps between 65-80f.

Pictures are in my grow log. Any other questions, I will answer. Good luck on your film project! I love these guys but they don't move a whole lot. I'd love to see a time lapse.

matkeel

Thanks sporehead and plantlight. I hadn't realized Desdomium Gyrans and CM were synonymous.

I think I will start a grow log for them. Interesting about the boiling water - how long did you steep the seeds? I've never heard of doing that before.  Also what sort of dome did you use? I'm used to gardening in LA where natural sun is more plentiful and temps are alot easier to regulate so the UK being at such a different latitude (51.4500° vs 34.0500°) means a whole new set of alien challenges.

I don't think I'll be able to do these in the greenhouse so I'll probably need to set up a grow station in my apt. Any recommendations for affordable domes and/or lights, etc? I've got some Calea zacatechich and San Pedro seeds on the way as well, all of which would benefit from a grow station.

> Please post what it is that comprises the proper soil, sun, and water you have had success with germinating seeds in the past.

Ah, the bane of the internet re-modulating our memory - I don't even recall because I was just checking web pages. This time though I will be sure to keep much more precise notes and share them in my grow log!

Thanks for the help and cheers to you both!

PS. If anyone is interested - Darwin's The Power of Movement in Plants, in which he quite brilliantly mapped out the movements of these telegraph plants just happens to be a free kindle download. Worth a look at his diagrams just to appreciate the ingenuity of his experiment design.

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire

I use a well draining soil high in organic matter for these. Very good drainage means less problems in my experience. Mine did not show a lot of movement for the first year, after that they responded to music very well.

nobody
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

sporehead

• Trading Score: +85

Hmmm, I think I steeped the seeds at least five minutes or until I was able to get to them. I did so only because that was what was written on the baggie they came in. My humidity dome was a simple clear plastic piece that fits planting trays. They are common at most plant stores. I'm sure a baggie or piece of saran wrap would work. Anything to keep humidity in, Just remember to exchange the air every couple of days. My entire grow space is lit with 5000-6500k cfl spiral bulbs. Every plant I have is doing well, though some might benefit from a more intense light, such as hps or mh. I dont have the money for that bill though :)

On another note, I've read that calea have a poor germination rate. If this proves true for you, pm me and I'll send you some cuttings.

matkeel

Thanks for the explanation and cuttings offer, sporehead. I will give it a go but PM if no success.