Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Slow growing pereskiopsis and tricho seedlings  (Read 11773 times)

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
Re: Slow growing pereskiopsis and tricho seedlings
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2015, 07:43:49 PM »

I agree. I have had better growth putting a whole bunch into a bigger pot than individuals, but the con is that they're harder to handle when grafting.  I have also had the 1" per week growth though in individual 4" pots, but not as often as in bigger pots. 

Here's what I do though.  I grow my mother plant peres in really big pots with several plants in each one.  Peres like to stretch their roots out, but their roots don't take up much volume. They are just really far reaching and skinny. So having lots in a single big pot is no issue.  Once they get to a good size i cut them and put them in smaller individual pots (or 2-4 per pot sometimes) and let them root. Once they root and grow a few inches I graft onto them. 

Then I let those grafts grow for a while. Usually about a year and then I pot them into bigger pots in groups or sometimes individual.  Or if they're big enough I will cut the stock down to 2" and root that, then bury it under the soil.  This will actually keep the graft going, but the scion will root too. And after a year or two the stock will die and the scion's root system will take over
Cactus = Life

sporehead

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2015, 10:04:05 PM »

Wow lots of good information. Thanks for the detail. That's the kind of stuff I like to hear. I recall that they grew faster when I did that. I took cuttings more frequently too but they were skinny. I put them in these pots hoping they'd grow at the same rate and I'd just graft as I took cuttings. But now I've not taken cuttings in months.

So I guess I'll transplant them to bigger pots, taking cuttings as I do. The seedlings are so small but I want to graft some so bad. This grow is mostly a grafting starter crop. Just taking a while.  I'll have to see if there are any fatties around to practice on. And keep everything wetter overall. I'll increase their lighting too. Putting them outside now would make so much more work for me. It's so hot here. I can barely keep up watering every other thing I'm growing.

This is a whole other set of issues for me. I'm pretty experienced with leafy plants so caring for them comes more naturally to me. Cacti and succulent growing, and some tropicals, I'm still learning about.

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2015, 07:26:30 PM »

For sure.

Here's a pereskiopsis grown behind 60% green shade cloth in the Idaho summer, watered every day. This is probably the thickest pere I've ever seen. It's only 2 months old too and it's like 2' tall.  Just noticed this today.  It got too big and fell over. It's the fastest growing pere I've had.  It's in a huge pot with rich soil and gravel on the top and watered everyday and fertilized once a week with 20/20/20.

Cactus = Life

sporehead

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2015, 08:00:25 PM »

That's no pere. That's some mutant plant beast.

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2015, 06:18:56 PM »

You should be able to get 6" cuttings every 2-3 weeks or so if everything is going well.

Sporehead, I have a bag of small pereskiopsis cuttings, like 1"-2". There's a bout 40 of em or so. Interested? Send me a PM and shipping would be 5.95 for a small flat rate. Let me know soon because once they start rotting they're going into the compost.

Peace,
hcc

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 12:09:20 AM »

Update on the monster pereskiopsis.  I thought it was going to grow legs and start terrorizing the town, so I had to cut it up.  Actually I just had to so I could bring it inside for the winter. Lol.  It's ridiculously thick at the base now and grew several feet this season if I include all the pups.

Cactus = Life

husk

• Trading Score: +39
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2015, 07:12:41 PM »

Let me know if Anything on my list interests you, I could take a few of them off your hands, may regret saying this in a month ha.

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2015, 03:33:27 AM »

If you are down to take some off my hands I would love you for it. No need to send me anything.  Also.... (see photo.)  I have this problem.  Would you be down to take some of that too.  They're hylococereus, selenicereus, and a few other things.  I am overrun with grafting stocks.   

Anyone else that wants some send me a message please. I am going to compost most of them if I don't find them new homes.

Thanks!
New Wisdom
Cactus = Life

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2015, 03:59:57 AM »

if noone else wants them I will take the hylo and selenicereus.  :)

nobody
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

husk

• Trading Score: +39
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2015, 09:30:59 AM »

How would you compare the grafts of those guys to pereskeriopsis? They look a bit more sturdy.

Curious as well, I also am not saying 'no' to the pere that I JUST asked about ha, but I am going to wait as mine all just shot up over 3 days removing my worry's about having enough. I will let you know about the others.

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2015, 12:18:48 AM »

k.  If nobody else asks for the rest of the cuttings by monday I will send the leftovers to you nobody...  Confusing I know...  Lol.   

Stuleelight. Grafting on big stocks like that results in really fast growth with less flowering as I learned in our last grafting competition.
Cactus = Life
Pages: 1 [2]