Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Anadenanthera flowering conditions (indoor)??  (Read 2934 times)

XDX

• Trading Score: +72
Anadenanthera flowering conditions (indoor)??
« on: December 14, 2016, 01:32:35 AM »

Hi,
I have a couple of Anadenanthera trees (colubrina v. "Vilca" "la Paz", from SS), they are 3 or 4 years old now i think, potted in maybe 10gal pots. they tend to grow out rather than up, get all droopy, but i try to stake them up a bit, and that puts them at like 3-4 ft tall. they grow great indoors, a bit leggy, but put out whole branches every week. perhaps they need another year or two, but i know fruit trees can start flowering in 3-5 years, so id like to try to induce flowering in these guys this year, see if they're ready. iirc, the Anas grown in Florida usually flower Dec-Feb, am i correct?

what are the conditions to induce flowering in these species? what has the greatest effect on flower production? light type, light timing, temperature, nutes, something else, all of the above? is there any sign that they are sexually mature (brugmansia, for example, have to be grown until the main trunk splits into a "Y" shape, then will flower above the "Y")?

i have them going on a 12/12 cycle, its mostly blue light, but i can set up some different lighting. gotta double check temps, probably bout 20-25C, possibly as high as 30C.

any help or advice would be appreciated, would love to see these trees flower... then i can share some pods!
Thanks!

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
Re: Anadenanthera flowering conditions (indoor)??
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 02:23:49 AM »

If I recall correctly mine flowers around April or May. Pods can take over a year to mature.
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 02:36:33 AM »

April/May would be 12/12 Sunlight in FL. Its pretty dry that time of year as well. Mostly warm highs in the mid 80s lows in the upper 60s low 70s. Humidity is usually kinda low that time of year as well.

XDX

• Trading Score: +72
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 02:47:47 AM »

oook i must have been thinking about when the pods mature. i will likely put them back outside by April/may. we get the april showers here, but usually by june the rains stop, and the hot dry summer starts. even in the rainy season tho, its not very humid here, not compared to Florida and the rest of the South. guess ill just let them do their thing some more....

Thank you both!