Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Strange Caapi Leaf Coloration  (Read 8603 times)

Wyald

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +26
  • Good vibes to everyone.
Strange Caapi Leaf Coloration
« on: June 24, 2016, 08:55:40 AM »

So this is interesting. I acquired this caapi plant about a year ago, I don't know if it was seed grown or a cutting but it was marketed as cielo (I know that doesn't mean much). The weird part is the leaves aren't turning that color, they're forming like that. Other than that though, it's growing relatively well and will be going in a bigger pot soon.

After almost killing it I managed to take a small cutting and after growing it for three months it went from the first picture, to the second two.

Does anybody have any idea what it could be? I can't wait to see what it looks like when it gets bigger if it continues its abnormal growth patterns.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 08:58:44 AM by Wyald »
We are those seeking to heal ourselves, whether we are aware of it or not.

AcaciaAve

• West Coast Zone 8b
  • Trading Score: +166
Re: Strange Caapi Leaf Coloration
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 09:19:01 AM »

Maybe needs more root space, worm tea and kelp meal
Grow Phalaris grass
Climb Acacia Trees

mj

• Trading Score: +54
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 09:44:06 AM »

I have some psychotria doing the same thing they have room in their pots and quality fresh worm castings mixed in with sphagnum moss and get plenty of light (artificial 6500K) and bottom heat get misted many times a day. Look like your photos. I am also at a loss they should have lots of good nutrients available to them. regards mj.

EIRN

• Golden Member
  • Trading Score: +212
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 02:15:14 PM »

This is clorosis. For some reason the plant aren't producing clorophyla. It's bad to the plant.
Usualy is lack of nutrients or problem in the roots.
repot in a bigger pot, take care about dreinage, organic soil.

it's is the same to psychotria mj.

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 04:00:02 PM »

Maybe bad water pH is affecting the plants ability to absorb nutrients? Are you using rainwater or tap to water?

mj

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 04:25:19 PM »

This is clorosis. For some reason the plant aren't producing clorophyla. It's bad to the plant.
Usualy is lack of nutrients or problem in the roots.
repot in a bigger pot, take care about dreinage, organic soil.

it's is the same to psychotria mj.

Everything has /is organic. I have larger versions of the same plants in the same size containers in the same grow box not suffering this condition. Perhaps I am letting some plants get too wet? I could let them dry more between watering and see if that helps? The soil is 60% sphagnum moss and 40% worm castings. I gave them a 1/4" top dressing of fresh worm castings several weeks ago to see if they needed more nutrients. Will see how they respond to less frequent water cycle. Thanks mj. 

mj

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 04:28:41 PM »

Maybe bad water pH is affecting the plants ability to absorb nutrients? Are you using rainwater or tap to water?

only water used with these plants is Brita filtered tap water which has a PH of about  6.2. I have been under the impression that this was close to ideal? Regards mj.

modern

• Trading Score: +199
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 05:09:17 PM »

The water is not bad but the soil is too alkaline and is locking out iron causing interveinal chlorosis. You can fix by either use a slightly more acidic water, repotting in a larger pot with slightly less worm casting, or water misting leaves with iron, chelated fertilizers.

I'd go with EIRN's suggestion and repot in a larger pot but it seems the main reason this happened was that 1/4" top dressing you gave messed with the pH too much considering the small size of the container. Probably wouldn't have done much damage on a larger pot.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 05:10:30 PM by modern »
Best time to sow is 5 years ago...

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 05:27:46 PM »

You could also consider using an organic soil pH down (not up as I previously mentioned, thanks for catching that modern) which can be a liquid (usually meant for hydroponics) or in pellet form, or use straight sulfur powder.

http://garden.org/nga/calculators/index.php?type=sulfur
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 08:31:57 PM by TBM »

mj

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 06:47:50 PM »

You could also consider using an organic soil pH up which can be a liquid (usually meant for hydroponics) or in pellet form, or use straight sulfur powder.

http://garden.org/nga/calculators/index.php?type=sulfur

I will off gas some straight tap water which runs in the range of 7.3 - 8.1 PH and see if that turns things around. Thanks guys I appreciate the assistance. Regards mj.

SoulGrower

• Trading Score: +151
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 07:51:00 PM »

To OP,

This is definitely chlorosis as stated.  Prob as the result of nutrient deficiency.  I'll bet if you pot up with some good fresh soil you'll be good to go  ;)

If you can provide more info that would be helpful.  Soil type, lighting, temp... bugs?  It does look like nutrient deficiency of some type.

For MJ,

I'm confused.  How did we determine that the soil is too alkaline?  Maybe I missed something.  Sphagnum is usually acidic (ph around 4)  and worm castings are at about a 7.  If it were indeed too alkaline.. you also wouldn't want to pH up...

The soil is 60% sphagnum moss and 40% worm castings.

Is all you are using is SM and castings??  If so, that is your problem.  That mix maybe fine for rooting cuttings/seeds (and small containers that dry out frequently, and consequently have to be watered frequently), but not for larger plants.  You need more aeration/drainage.

You don't have a soul
You are a soul
You have a body
C.S Lewis

modern

• Trading Score: +199
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 08:22:09 PM »

I'm saying soil is alkaline due to it looking like interveinal chlorosis to me. Unless ph is fine and there is just a lack of iron in the soil (not common)

I think TBM just messed up as sulfur would lower ph.

Could also be too much light but since the only change is he added worm casting and tropicals tend to prefer slightly more acidic soil Im guessing a pH issue, iron lockout.

We all do agree that potting up is needed :)
Best time to sow is 5 years ago...

mj

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 09:01:47 PM »

To OP,

This is definitely chlorosis as stated.  Prob as the result of nutrient deficiency.  I'll bet if you pot up with some good fresh soil you'll be good to go  ;)

If you can provide more info that would be helpful.  Soil type, lighting, temp... bugs?  It does look like nutrient deficiency of some type.

For MJ,

I'm confused.  How did we determine that the soil is too alkaline?  Maybe I missed something.  Sphagnum is usually acidic (ph around 4)  and worm castings are at about a 7.  If it were indeed too alkaline.. you also wouldn't want to pH up...

The soil is 60% sphagnum moss and 40% worm castings.

Is all you are using is SM and castings??  If so, that is your problem.  That mix maybe fine for rooting cuttings/seeds (and small containers that dry out frequently, and consequently have to be watered frequently), but not for larger plants.  You need more aeration/drainage.

Ok I am willing to try a new mix and also increasing the size of my pot. Could you provide a suggestions that I could use to improve aeration and drainage of my potting mix of sphagnum and worm castings with? Thanks people much appreciated. Regards mj.

PS: I have an unopened bag of top quality organic compost here. I had been under the impression that the mix I was using was fine so I never used any of it. I have so let me know if that would make a suitable amendment.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 10:19:44 PM by mj »

Wyald

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +26
  • Good vibes to everyone.
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 11:04:54 PM »

Its in FF Ocean Forest soil and getting FF nutrients. It was receiving 6tsp Big Bloom every other feeding and has started reviving 6tsp BB + 2 tsp Grow Big as of last week.

The feeding/watering schedule is water then dry then nutes then dry then water etc. using distilled water from walmart.

As far as lighting goes its under artificial 6500k cfl tubes.
We are those seeking to heal ourselves, whether we are aware of it or not.

SoulGrower

• Trading Score: +151
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 12:58:18 AM »

MJ,

Without making things too complicated.. you should be fine with any decent soil mix from one of the big box stores.  I would recommend adding perlite, small pine bark chips (sometimes called fines) or even small sized wood/bark mulch regardless of what mix you buy.

The problem with all of commercial mixes, that I have found, is that they use too much peat.  This creates a soggy mass and roots need air to breathe.

@Wyald

Make sure your nutes have Magnesium and Calcium.  I'm not sure of the reason but liquid nutes rarely have these.  You may need to supplement with Epson Salt.
You don't have a soul
You are a soul
You have a body
C.S Lewis
Pages: [1] 2