Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hello from Washington (State)  (Read 5078 times)

Offwidth

• Trading Score: +4
Hello from Washington (State)
« on: June 01, 2018, 07:20:42 PM »

Hello!

I'm new enough to all of this to still be pretty wet behind the ears. I've done a fair amount of gardening, both for the table and some really small flower beds. I'm really curious about getting further into psychoactive plants. Ive worked with a friend growing some mushrooms and currently have some jars about to be transferred to their casing. I would love to share and be taught, seeing as this seems like a community rich in knowledge. Im also very interested in moving into other plants and trying my hand at raising and sharing them with other people (obviously), but i hope I'm not too green to be here! Thank you guys so much for being here!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 12:40:54 AM by Offwidth »

svk

• Trading Score: +7
Re: Hello from Washington (State)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 11:52:36 PM »

Welcome!

The members here are really nice and generous. You've come to the right place  :)

OfCows

• Trading Score: +75
  • Glad to be here!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 12:19:18 AM »

Hey Offwidth!

;) Welcome to the site, it really is a wonderful thing!

Heads up though, the discussion of psilocybin mycology is a little frowned on here, at least according to the FAQ...I'm not a mod or anything (in fact I was a little disappointed myself when I realised I couldn't discuss the subject here), but thought I'd let you know in case you missed it and got moaned at!

Some users may be interested in discussing or trading other mushroom related materials, particularly the psycho-active species containing psilocybin and psilocin. Sadly, growing these types of fungi is illegal almost everywhere, so trading live fungi tissue or discussion about them, including growing questions and grow logs, is not allowed in STS.

Mushroom spores of any kind do not contain scheduled substances, hence they are technically legal. Please note, however, that unless you live in a country where growing psychoactive mushrooms is allowed, their spores are basically precursors for producing illegal substances, so we do not encourage trading spores of psychoactive fungi.

Discussion about growing other species of fungi that do not contain scheduled substances is allowed, and so is trading legal mushroom growing tools or supplies.

:) Welcome anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing more about your explorations - there's some amazing info and people here!

Cheers,

OfCows
A man's errors are his portals to discovery...

Offwidth

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 06:59:47 AM »

OfCows,
I really appreciate the heads up, I did read that but every reminder I can get is good! I don’t want to break any rules or piss anyone off. Hopefully I’ll be promoted soon and we can PM, I’d like to pick your brain.

OfCows

• Glad to be here!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 12:13:56 PM »

:) Glad I didn't offend you! Just thought you might have missed it. Feel free to PM as you're able - it's usually quite easy to get promoted to full member...

Offwidth

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 11:12:42 AM »

OfCows/anyone interested,

I’m not sure when I’ll be promoted, but I’ve stumbled upon someone who is still selling S. Divinorum in my area. Unfortunately they look to be yellowy/green and like they’ve gone through a rough winter. Should I be worried? Any ideas on how not to baby them too much but help them back into happiness?

OfCows

• Glad to be here!
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 11:43:48 AM »

...afraid Salvia's not really something I'm qualified to give advice on - mine is currently losing all it's leaves and looking very unhappy! I'm sure somebody here will be bale to give you some tips though...

Offwidth

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 10:44:05 PM »

OfCows,

I actually just got 3 small Trichocereus pachanoi, they’re bare roots right now, I need to pot them, and the reading I’ve been doing said 1:1:1 cactus potting soil:sand:vermiculite/perlite. Does that sound like a good ratio to you? Any red flags coming up? Or extra things I should know?These are the first cacti I’ll have ever had so, we’ll see how it goes. I’ll post pictures when I get home.

OfCows

• Glad to be here!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 11:01:53 PM »

:) Hey OffWidth,

I'm certainly no expert, but that mix sounds about right to me...

Mine seem to do OK with approximately the same ratio and ingredients, although I substitute a volcanic rock sold here (UK) as cat litter for vermiculite/perlite. This is purely as it's a UK cacti-grower trick as it's not only fit for purpose, but cheap and available from a major supermarket too.

I tend toward holding back on watering for at least a few weeks when I first receive and pot a rooted cactus, but I'm told by other (much more experienced) growers on here that this isn't strictly necessary.

Other than that, a little bit of fertiliser (occasionally) and pachanoi enjoy more water than I expected - don't go crazy though!

Hope that's of some use anyway! If no-one else chimes in to improve on my answer, remind me and I'll dig out some guides and other useful info I have on the subject...

:) Cheers!

OfCows

• Glad to be here!
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 11:02:59 PM »

...I should add that the key thing seems to be that the soil drains easily - I've learnt this (still learning!) by killing a few of my Trichocereus and Lophophora via over-watering :(

Offwidth

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 11:18:59 PM »

Amazing, thank you so much! I’ll mix that up tonight, and pot them! How’s your salvia doing by the way?

OfCows

• Glad to be here!
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 11:30:00 PM »

;) No problem, hope it helps! I have Trichocereus of various sizes growing in two different countries in various potting mixes...they all seem to do fine provided they get enough light and are well-drained, so I figure there's some room for experimentation. While we're on the subject, bridgesii are a bit more prone to rotting, so if you ever grow them go easier on the watering.

:( My Salvia still looks like it's on the way out (thanks for asking), but her decline seems to have slowed a bit so there's still hope?! I need to get to a shop to grab some seaweed fertiliser to try but have been snowed under...

Offwidth

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 12:05:54 AM »

Sounds like I might have an easier time than I anticipated! I’m pretty excited to see how they go. Are yours all indoors? I think mine will have to be except for a couple weeks out of the year, just based on my climate.

I’m sorry about your salvia, but hopefully she pulls through! You’re based out of the UK right?

Offwidth

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 07:12:47 AM »

So heres my rabbit hole I hope to jump down, but only time will tell.

OfCows

• Glad to be here!
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 01:04:47 PM »

:-* Wow, so cute! I hope to see them thrive over our time here...

Yes, I am in the UK - my plants here are all indoors (I'm in a flat plus our climate is pretty rubbish for most of these species) and never make it outside... The plants I have in Spain are currently outside on a terrace for most of the year; the growth rate is phenomenal compared to in the UK! There's a few pictures here if you're interested - http://sharetheseeds.me/forum/index.php?topic=5225.0

:( To be honest, I've never managed to get Salvia past the two-foot stage when I've tried to grow them. I'm a bad parent!
Pages: [1] 2