Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Greetings from New Zealand  (Read 4553 times)

Biophilic

Greetings from New Zealand
« on: March 16, 2014, 06:10:30 AM »

Hello all!

Just wanted to say this looks like a great site. Im very new to gardening - my experience is limited to propogation of a few salvia cuttings I recently bought online (so far so good!).

Are there any other Kiwis on these forums? If so, I'd love to hear from you.

Hopefully this is the beginning of a long stay here, I look forward to future discussions!

Bio~

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
Re: Greetings from New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 07:43:10 AM »

Hello Biophilic.  Welcome to STS. 

What I do with salvia cuttings is to put them in a plastic disposable cup with washed sand in it. I bury the stem about 1-2" and then get the sand wet, but you don't want any puddles.  Then I Put a plastic bag over the top to create a humidity dome. Then I stick them near my light, but not directly under it.  Every cutting i've done this to rooted very easily.
Cactus = Life

isaak

• Trading Score: +60
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 10:57:31 AM »

Hey Biophilic, welcome to STS! It's great to have a New Zealander on-board and expand the geographic reach of our family ;) Enjoy your stay!
The more I talk to birds, the better I get.

Biophilic

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 02:10:29 AM »

New wisdom:

Thanks for those tips - I currently have a small but well established plant and a cutting which has just started to grow roots sitting in a small cup of plain water. Next cutting I take I will definitely try your method and perhaps attempt to grow the plant entirely inside a humidity chamber (A small tent perhaps) after it has rooted.

Isaak:

I would definitely love to engage in some international trade at some point in the future, I'm already getting excited about what may end up in my garden! Cheers for the welcome.

Divinorum

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 04:28:42 AM »

Welcome to STS!

Really wondering what kind of exotic species we can get away with sharing with you here :-X

;) thanks for coming on board.

Biophilic

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 07:36:35 AM »

Divinorum:

As am I!

My main worry is that as I am so new to plant propagation that I won't have much to give in return. I think the value I may be able to provide will be in posting pictures of my newbie progress, showing that beginners can do it, too. I'm also concerned about posting pictures of grows that may be liable to get me in trouble, so will be extra careful on this front

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 03:26:21 PM »

Hi Biophilic,

Welcome to STS. I think you'll find that there is a nice mix of experienced growers and those of us who are relative newbies, so you'll fit right in. Everyone has been very generous, and you can always pay forward any shares you receive once you get more established.

Nice to meet you, and I look forward to sharing!

FP

Mandrake

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 11:09:45 PM »

Hello Biophilic and thanks for joining us. NZ is a beautiful place I was lucky to visit, well worth the almost 30 hour trip.

I'm also concerned about posting pictures of grows that may be liable to get me in trouble, so will be extra careful on this front

As you may know we do not -we cannot- endorse growing species that for whatever the reason are illegal to have in a garden where you live. In practical terms it's hardly viable to enforce this rule, since finding reliable lists of "legal" species to grow in every country and state in the world is not feasible. Laws are often diffuse, obscure, or non-existent. We certainly cannot monitor what people grow or not, and it is not our intention either. But we have to ask everyone to make sure that the activities they share (and the trades they made, if any) are not against the law, according to the site Rules.

To sum it up more easily - if you share your location and are growing something not allowed in that location, we don't want to know and you should not even hint at it.

I hope to see you around in the forums.

Welcome to STS,

Mandrake

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 06:07:33 AM »

G'day Biophilic!
I'm not from NZ but I'm kinda close here in OZ...
Not many southerners here yet but our numbers are slowly growing.
Spread the word, we could definitely do with a few more to make trades a bit more straight forward.
Have a good one, and enjoy your stay!

Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

Blackvine

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 11:29:11 AM »

Greetings Biophilic, welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay. I too am a southerner (aussie I'm afraid) - looking forward to trading with you.

obsidianjaguar

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 02:12:35 AM »

just wanted to pipe in and say hello .. I am Auckland based and looking forward to meeting plant friends of all kinds :)

mj

• Trading Score: +54
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2015, 08:31:38 AM »

welcome to STS: hope that you find what you are after and discover more than you ever imagined. Best regards mj.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 04:54:27 PM by mj »

FewTrueSeed

• Many Meiosis
  • Trading Score: +134
  • Fungophile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2015, 04:32:59 PM »

Welcome!! If your looking for kiwi I have a variety of hardy kiwi (Actinidia arguta) great little snacks.
Happy to send you some seed. I'll keep my eye out for other varieties. I planted seeds from the supermarket fruit several years ago and they sprouted just fine. Its lost its leaves now for the winter. Lostit's partner plant as well, due to chicken attacks.  >:(
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 04:50:27 PM by Tragicfalacygtr2 »
Never portray yourself to betray yourself, there is no I in self.

https://mycotek.org/index.php?members/fewtrueseed.1965/