Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: WARNING! Grazon finding its way into home gardens!  (Read 3706 times)

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
WARNING! Grazon finding its way into home gardens!
« on: July 28, 2015, 01:21:25 PM »

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure this is happening to me right now. Fortunately its only a handful of plants but I'm loosing several plants I wanted. Must of got a tainted bag of cow manure. Good thing is that I've used a bunch of cow manure of the same brand since and everything has been OK. However one or two batches of plants I up potted awhile back show the same damage across the board. Several species of unrelated nature so its not a disease. Pics online look pretty on par with my damaged plants. Supposedly this is happening a lot all over the country recently. Watch out!!!

http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/sustainable-farming/killer-compost-herbicide-contamination-zl0z1211zkin.aspx

That's an article about this horrid problem!
Spreading love!

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
Re: WARNING! Grazon finding its way into home gardens!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 03:01:56 AM »

Same issue here with mill mud(which was fantastic stuff up until 5years ago when they stopped burning the trash) and cane trash mulch after sugar cane crops.
They decided they were not going to burn the trash anymore "because its bad for the environment".
Yeah right, as if your average farmer gives a stuff(knowing many of the local farmers I can say this without it being slanderous), and they all still burn the plastic trickle tape each year or two. Looks like a tire fire, black smoke from "Lost".
Anyway, very noble of the sugar board, and I agree it is really bad to waste all that carbon, but the real motivator was profit potential from bailing it and selling it to city folk as mulch...

Farmers now have more perceived weed issues after harvest, issues that fire would normally prevent, so now they harvest the cane, then spray the blocks, then harvest the trash and sell it, taking the herbicide with it, and distributing it throughout the suburbs. Great system  ::)
Several large community gardens have had issues, lost entire crops, and a few of them had actually received donations of cane trash(as a publicity stunt/marketing tool) which majorly backfired.

I often get asked if we use cane trash or mill mud as folks don't want to buy seeds from crops grown in it, and I know a local farmer here that lost an entire block of avocados and a block of pumpkins which he is certain was caused by cane mulch herbicide residue. Death as far as you can see, so depressing.
Worst of all he was trialing it instead of superphos as he wanted to be a bit more "natural" and build up the worms.

Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact