Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Composting for LIFE!  (Read 14977 times)

Radium

• Trading Score: +2
  • When I die, plz compost me :)
Re: Composting for LIFE!
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 06:42:12 PM »

Hahahaha I love it!
I know there is nitrogen among other trace elements in urine. Also, probably bad and harmful leftovers if you eat unhealthy.
The pee helps catalyze heat through the nitrogen which helps the breakdown for sure. Blood meal may be a quicker start but think of all the water saved by not flushing.

Flush??
People who flush down their products by water are doin' it wrong man!
Here we use squatting toilets, which don't have any water floating inside it, everything you drop will either go straight to the hole or if it sticks to the walls, we just aim our ahem,,, water bio-pistols at it and shoot it down the hole by urine.
We just use an sprinkle of water for washing our arse and pistol.
Almost everyone here has been doing that since ancient times.
Some arseholes are importing western-style toilets recently equipped with flushes and build them into the new luxury apartments they're constructing.
These people deserve to be shot in the face with bio-pistols  >:(

For you westerner fellas however, you can either get an squatting toilet (which has superior health benefits for flexibility and strength of your legs and core, plus easier and more complete shitting, thus reduced chance of colon cancer and saves you a lot of OOOOUUMFing when you're doing it)

But if that's hard, I guess you can just save the urine in big container, and once there's enough urine, use it to flush the shit down.
But since the system is designed to keep some fluid there, urine will go bad and your restroom will get stinky, unless you find a way to disable that configuration and make it to flush all of the fluid down the hole.
Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 07:39:13 PM »

THIS ! Already the best thread on STS... feels like reddit.

BTW: there is squatting toilets with a siphon and flush and I do even know of people who squat ON a regular toilet of "western" style.
More fun toilet facts ? In germany you can roughly determine the age of a bathroom by the toilet installed, as there was a german physicist who invented and videly advertised a toilet built "back to front" that lets the user, on rising from the throne, get a better look at his recent sucess. The idea being: That particukar physicist worked much on ailments that can be identified by looking at feeces. Also he advertised that doctors should, if it seems possible a patient has a symptoms that qualify, equip him with a tube & scoop so he could conveiniently ... Also this style of toilet is comfortable to any well equiped man, as otherwise he might run in danger not everything swings freely.  Needles to say: The look-at-your-feeces went out of style again :)

Uranium, does your local squatter crapper have a link to the sewers or does it have a cavity ? Maybe you wanna tap it for your experiments ! :D
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 08:22:23 PM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

Radium

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2015, 04:29:40 AM »

I guess I've already earned myself a very big weirdness score here, but to make it worse:

I admit to investigating my fertilizer for any unsual thing such as worms because I literally live in dirt everyday and had acquired Hymenolepsis nana as a kid probably because I played in soil used by Afghan refugee construction site workers for schitting and penistol target practice.
The very same guys did finally connected all of the block's toilettes to the sewer system after centuries of well based toilets which required constant costly emptying each few years.

The funny thing is that our toilet never got full and we never had to call the shit sucking crew, but our neighbor had to call them more often than others even though they were just 3 people while other neighbors were at least 7-8 each family.
He finally got suspicious that our cavity was somehow leaking to their's, and decided to file a lawsuit against us but the judge commanded him to eat less to shit less and closed the funniest case of his career according to himself.
The poor neighbor was fat, sounds like someone didn't like fat people that much...
The irony was the judge had a huge stomach himself but macaroni arms and legs which caused him to develop a severe case of X legs deformity.
Oh, and did I said he went through six months of bureaucratic hassle to just hear that command?

I wanted to also add something else but I don't remember what was it,

Hmmmm
Ah we're in the composting thread, yeah I wanted just to say about my brother, unlike me, he's afraid of dirt/soil and was expressing his dislike towards my composting projects, so we parted the balcony and I added lots of gypsum to my open aerobic to-be-composts to diminish any smell and pretty sealed the others.

The picture is our balcony, to the left hand are his useless plants, and to the side are my useful fellas.
The arsehole believes all ethnobotanicals must be wiped out to reach world peace, wtf I can't even make the connection.

Oh no I remember now the thing I wanted to say is that my awesome herbalist grandma repelled the worms out of me by giving me lots of Espand (P.harmala) tea.
I stopped shitting worms just after a week. (H.nana reproduce into huge numbers, and the excess gets pushed out.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 04:35:28 AM by Uranium »
Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.

Scribe

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2015, 08:16:10 PM »

Someone give this man a custom user title! "The Storyteller of STS" or something like that. As for that neighbour paying for your crap... we had a similar situation with heating in the building I live in. We used to have nice 20+ degrees during winter and paid very little while the neighbour kept walking around his apartment in double sweaters and thick, woollen Bosnian slipper socks but had to pay 3x as much as we did. We actually thought that the higher quality windows we had caused the difference. However...

After many a year  the building's manager realised he had mixed up heating valve numbers; the neighbour was paying for us. Luckily we arranged the thing quietly and the unfortunate neighbour now finally enjoys his savings; not that he knows what caused the sudden change in his heating bills one year...

In the same building the municipality sold an apartment to a couple. But they gave them the wrong set of keys. Now they have a lawsuit by the state hanging from their necks due to "squatting". To make things worse they completely renovated the apartment but may very well have to move down the corridor into a somewhat dilapidated one.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 08:27:57 PM by Scribe »

Radium

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 08:55:26 PM »

Well, I have more stories to tell if you enjoy them.
Did I tell you the story of the 4yo Radium going to a jewish toy-shop to buy a toy truck? and how he cut all of his cash notes from the center, making each into two halves, thinking it would double his money?
I was getting familiar with the concept of money just recently, and it was the first time I was given cash to personally buy something myself.

BTW, here's two pics of the typical modern squatting toilet used here.
At past centuries, people molded their own when building their houses, sometimes even shaped it with their hands.

http://forum.persianbax.ir//images/imported/2012/05/193.jpg

Art? lol
http://www.miyanali.com/patch2image.php?patch=usr/gaem-decoration/gal95.jpg&379126298

P.S:
I admit that I sat on the toilet in the wrong direction for years, until someone at school bring it up and said how he is having problem with urine drops bouncing back into his face.
I said why don't you aim it straight to the big hole?
Then I got weird stares from everyone around.
That day I figured I was sitting backwards, but seriously, there's no authority on that, and no one's right or wrong.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 09:07:57 PM by Radium »

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2015, 09:10:34 PM »

Your oath ...  ;D
Praise is mandatory.

Radium

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2015, 09:51:42 PM »

Alright alright  :P
But what was wrong with that post? tell me to not repeat it again.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2015, 09:55:01 PM »

as far as I remember the oath limits you to only botanical subjects :D poor you
Praise is mandatory.

Radium

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2015, 10:09:04 PM »

Damn  :P
Alright people, if you want to hear more stories you must wait for my autobiography book to come out  ;D

Radium

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 04:32:25 PM »

Hey fellas, I have a question:

What happens if I fill a completely air-tight container with food scraps, and let it to sit?
Does the composting process halt if the pressure inside get too high?
I want to know exactly what happens to the materials, once the pressure has reached very high, which makes the production of more gases nearly impossible.
And assume the container is made of tank metal plates, thus impossible to explode from pressure build-up.

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2015, 11:11:16 PM »

Hey fellas, I have a question:

What happens if I fill a completely air-tight container with food scraps, and let it to sit?
Does the composting process halt if the pressure inside get too high?
I want to know exactly what happens to the materials, once the pressure has reached very high, which makes the production of more gases nearly impossible.
And assume the container is made of tank metal plates, thus impossible to explode from pressure build-up.

Fantastic question! I highly advise you to try it out and post pix of what happens.

Since the container is airtight, Oxygen levels may become depleted and Carbon dioxide levels may rise-IF this happens then the kinds of mold/bacteria/fungi/etc which grow in your sample will change as certain species use Oxygen for respiration, CO2 for photosynthesis and sometimes revert to glycolytic fermentation (metabolizing sugars into alcohol and lactic acid for energy instead of using oxygen). I don't think pressure will get dangerously high, but it may build up depending on gases released by decomposers. may emit heat as decomposition takes place and you may notice a hint of alcohol if you decide to give it the ol' smell test.

Pressure buildup may slow, but probably won't completely stop, fermentation. If anything, I would set up one compost heap without any air exposure and one with air exposure and see how they differ over time.

PV=nRT,
-Sherdan1
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Radium

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2015, 03:18:57 PM »

In my new place, I will most likely have no place to perform even the slightest smelly composting.
So the only option is picking PET bottles, filling them with stuff, and close the lid HARD, and hope to get compost.
But I guess the activity of ANY type of organism inside the bottle will totally STOP after awhile, and there remains semi-digested stuff, waiting for the lid to open and let some fresh air in, to continue the digestion process.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2015, 03:29:04 PM »

Sorry but, make sure you have a pressure relief, especially on a PET bottle, since nothing will cone to an halt, your PET bottle will simply burst Im afraid.

Keep in mind tho: in general gases can be considered compressible, liquids and solids not. That means in a full bottle catastrophic pressure build up will be reached sooner than in a 1/4 full bottle.
Praise is mandatory.

Radium

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2015, 07:10:20 PM »

Okay, what happens then to each of these two scenarios?

1. The PET bottle is filled with kitchen scraps, and then enough water is added to leave no place for air inside the bottle.

2. Instead of the PET bottle, a heavy-duty metal container is used, kitchen scraps are added to it, and no water at all.

What happens eventually to both of the scenarios?

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2015, 07:13:33 PM »

Why do you change both parameters in the theoretical "observation" ?

Well your kitchen scraps arent bone dry so both come with water and both will decompose.

The bottle will first go round and later burst, most likely.
Praise is mandatory.
Pages: 1 [2] 3