Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: List of pest-repelling plants  (Read 7184 times)

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
List of pest-repelling plants
« on: May 26, 2014, 06:54:50 PM »

This list of pest-repelling plants includes plants known for their ability to repel insects, nematodes, and other pests. They may be used in companion planting for pest control in agricultural and garden situations, and in households.

The essential oils of many plants are also well known for their pest-repellent properties. Oils from the families Lamiaceae (mints), Poaceae (true grasses), and Pinaceae (pines) are common insect repellents worldwide.

Plants that can be planted or used fresh to deter pests include:

artemisias       repels insects, including ants, cabbage looper, cabbage maggot, carrot fly, codling moth, flea beetles, whiteflies, the Cabbage White, and the Small White, as well as mice
basil    repels flies, including mosquitoes and the carrot fly, plus asparagus beetles and whiteflies
borage      repels tomato hornworm and cabbage worms
castor bean     repels moles
catnip     repels ants, flea beetles, aphids, the Japanese beetle, squash bugs, weevils, the Colorado potato beetle, the cabbage looper, and cockroaches
chamomile    repels flying insects
chives    repels carrot fly, Japanese beetle, and aphids
chrysanthemums    repel roaches, ants, the Japanese beetle, ticks, silverfish, lice, fleas, bedbugs, and root-knot nematodes
citronella grass    repels insects, may deter cats
citrosa    repels insects, including mosquitoes
clovers    repel aphids and wireworms
common lantana    repels mosquitoes
coriander    repels aphids, Colorado potato beetle, and spider mites
cosmos    repel the corn earworm
crown imperial    repel rabbits, mice, moles, voles and ground squirrels
dahlias    repel nematodes
dill    repels aphids, squash bugs, spider mites, the cabbage looper, the tomato hornworm, and the Small White
eucalyptus    repels aphids, the cabbage looper, and the Colorado potato beetle
fennel    repels aphids, slugs, and snails
fever tea    repels mosquitoes
four o'clocks    attract and poison the Japanese beetle
French marigold    repels whiteflies, kills nematodes
garlic    repels aphids, Japanese beetle, carrot fly, codling moth, snails, root maggots,cabbage looper, Mexican bean beetle, peach tree borer, and rabbits
geraniums    repel leafhoppers, the corn earworm, and the Small White
hyssop    repels the cabbage looper and the Small White
larkspurs    repel aphids
lavender    repels moths, fleas, and flies, including mosquitoes
leek    repels carrot fly
lemon balm    repels mosquitoes
lemon thyme    repels mosquitoes
lettuce    repels carrot fly
lime basil    repels mosquitoes
Mexican marigold    repels insects and rabbits
myrrh    repels insects
narcissus    repel moles
nasturtiums    repel whiteflies, squash bugs, aphids, many beetles, and the cabbage looper
onion    repels rabbits, the cabbage looper, and the Small White
oregano    repellent to many pests
parsley    repels asparagus beetles
peppermint    repels aphids, cabbage looper, flea beetles, squash bugs, whiteflies, and the Small White
petunias    repel aphids, tomato hornworm, asparagus beetles, leafhoppers,land squash bugs
pitcher plants    traps and ingests insects
radish    repels cabbage maggot and cucumber beetles
rosemary    repels cabbage looper, carrot fly, slugs, snails, and the Mexican bean beetle
rue    repels cucumber and flea beetles
spearmint    repels fleas, moths, ants, beetles, rodents, aphids, squash bugs, and the cabbage looper
spiny amaranth    repels cutworms
stone root    repels mosquitoes
summer savory    repels bean beetles
tansy    repels ants, many beetles and flies, squash bugs, cutworms, Small White, and Cabbage White
thyme    repels cabbage looper, cabbage maggot, corn earworm, whiteflies, tomato hornworm, and Small White
tobacco    repels carrot fly and flea beetles
tomato repels asparagus beetles
venus flytrap    ingests insects

Do you know/use others?
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
Re: List of pest-repelling plants
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 03:00:30 AM »

The Shoo-fly plant, Nicandra physalodes, repels flies. Plant some in a pot near the door of your house. Looks like a tomatillo or Chinese lantern sort of.

Passiflora subpeltata is tasty, ornamental, and pretty pest free, and grown along side Passiflora foetida/edulis/aurantia it keeps the green beetle, grasshoppers and caterpillars' away from them too.  Be aware it has the absolute opposite effect when grown with bitter melon. Those 2 in combo attracts caterpillars' for miles. They never last more than a couple months here when grown together.

Huacatay, Tagetes minuta, makes a great bug spray. Also, if you cut off a branch and hang it in your eggplants, tomatoes, cucumbers when they are fruiting and look delicious, it repels kangaroos, bettongs and horses I have just discovered. Total loss on the plants without, total success on the plants that had a big branch hanging in them. Keeps the white fly away too, which was why I did it.

Abutilon indicum seems to make grasshoppers stoned or sick. They eat it, actually preferring it over sweet potato etc, but then just sit there super sleepy. Makes a good trap crop.

Great list Roze! ;D
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

dan54i

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +23
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 04:25:45 PM »

This list of pest-repelling plants includes plants known for their ability to repel insects, nematodes, and other pests. They may be used in companion planting for pest control in agricultural and garden situations, and in households.

The essential oils of many plants are also well known for their pest-repellent properties. Oils from the families Lamiaceae (mints), Poaceae (true grasses), and Pinaceae (pines) are common insect repellents worldwide.

Plants that can be planted or used fresh to deter pests include:

artemisias       repels insects, including ants, cabbage looper, cabbage maggot, carrot fly, codling moth, flea beetles, whiteflies, the Cabbage White, and the Small White, as well as mice
basil    repels flies, including mosquitoes and the carrot fly, plus asparagus beetles and whiteflies
borage      repels tomato hornworm and cabbage worms
castor bean     repels moles
catnip     repels ants, flea beetles, aphids, the Japanese beetle, squash bugs, weevils, the Colorado potato beetle, the cabbage looper, and cockroaches
chamomile    repels flying insects
chives    repels carrot fly, Japanese beetle, and aphids
chrysanthemums    repel roaches, ants, the Japanese beetle, ticks, silverfish, lice, fleas, bedbugs, and root-knot nematodes
citronella grass    repels insects, may deter cats
citrosa    repels insects, including mosquitoes
clovers    repel aphids and wireworms
common lantana    repels mosquitoes
coriander    repels aphids, Colorado potato beetle, and spider mites
cosmos    repel the corn earworm
crown imperial    repel rabbits, mice, moles, voles and ground squirrels
dahlias    repel nematodes
dill    repels aphids, squash bugs, spider mites, the cabbage looper, the tomato hornworm, and the Small White
eucalyptus    repels aphids, the cabbage looper, and the Colorado potato beetle
fennel    repels aphids, slugs, and snails
fever tea    repels mosquitoes
four o'clocks    attract and poison the Japanese beetle
French marigold    repels whiteflies, kills nematodes
garlic    repels aphids, Japanese beetle, carrot fly, codling moth, snails, root maggots,cabbage looper, Mexican bean beetle, peach tree borer, and rabbits
geraniums    repel leafhoppers, the corn earworm, and the Small White
hyssop    repels the cabbage looper and the Small White
larkspurs    repel aphids
lavender    repels moths, fleas, and flies, including mosquitoes
leek    repels carrot fly
lemon balm    repels mosquitoes
lemon thyme    repels mosquitoes
lettuce    repels carrot fly
lime basil    repels mosquitoes
Mexican marigold    repels insects and rabbits
myrrh    repels insects
narcissus    repel moles
nasturtiums    repel whiteflies, squash bugs, aphids, many beetles, and the cabbage looper
onion    repels rabbits, the cabbage looper, and the Small White
oregano    repellent to many pests
parsley    repels asparagus beetles
peppermint    repels aphids, cabbage looper, flea beetles, squash bugs, whiteflies, and the Small White
petunias    repel aphids, tomato hornworm, asparagus beetles, leafhoppers,land squash bugs
pitcher plants    traps and ingests insects
radish    repels cabbage maggot and cucumber beetles
rosemary    repels cabbage looper, carrot fly, slugs, snails, and the Mexican bean beetle
rue    repels cucumber and flea beetles
spearmint    repels fleas, moths, ants, beetles, rodents, aphids, squash bugs, and the cabbage looper
spiny amaranth    repels cutworms
stone root    repels mosquitoes
summer savory    repels bean beetles
tansy    repels ants, many beetles and flies, squash bugs, cutworms, Small White, and Cabbage White
thyme    repels cabbage looper, cabbage maggot, corn earworm, whiteflies, tomato hornworm, and Small White
tobacco    repels carrot fly and flea beetles
tomato repels asparagus beetles
venus flytrap    ingests insects

Do you know/use others?
by "the small fly" do you mean to the whitefly? i just have discovered a few whiteflys on my sprouts.. i so hate them!!!!!   >:( >:( >:( last time i grew they almost ruined everything!!!! i just got to kill them in some organic way...
fairdinkumseeds, occasianly i sow tagetes minuta a few days ago, do you think a little ones (i think they'll germinate this week, so ill have nice suprouts with tru leaves with two weeks or so) will keep thos damned whiteflys ayway?

thank you both :)
The energy of every plant is different.

Ian Morris

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +52
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 07:49:08 PM »

I wonder if Tagetes minuta repels deer?  This would be a crop saver here in the south, this year we have deer everywhere because of a general decline in hunting interest.

I ran a few off last night, just straight munching bell peppers out of my dad's garden.

I might need to track down Tagetes minuta and see for myself.  I know blood works but it requires repeat applications and isn't attractive.

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 12:16:26 PM »

Tiger balm and Vaseline painted on works for deer, well it stops them ring barking trees in orchards down south, so it should work for garden beds?
No real experience with them over here.
Tagetes minuta might be worth a try, pm me if you want to have a crack.
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 12:57:42 PM »

Easy way to stop deer that are no longer afraid of humans, plant clover. They will almost always eat the clover and leave evrything else alone. Just make sure to plant a patch away from your garden.

nobody
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 01:50:56 PM »

Clathrus Archeri                repels Homo Sapiens
Clathrus Ruber                  repels Homo Sapiens
Amorphophallus titanum    repels Homo Sapiens
Helicodiceros Muscivorus
Arum Dioscoridis
Dracunculus Vulgaris
Rafflesiaea

Many more for that particular pest :) but keep in mind a Homo Sapiens around isnt always bad as it for example scares away other problems especially higher animals.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 10:59:27 PM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.