Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Spider mites killing voaconga  (Read 9634 times)

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
Re: Spider mites killing voaconga
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2015, 05:46:20 AM »

Doesnt look like it to me, but I could imagine its very humid and then the spider mite damage developed into what we see here ?

But in my experience spider mite damage is a leaf increasingly being covered by white spots until white spots merge into one big white damaged area with a few green spots left. Some plants will hold onto damaged leaves others drop them.

I think the shown damage is too localised for spidermites that IMO leave a pretty well distributed pattern, not really local hot spots.

Also to me it appears spider mites work from the oldest leaves up and the plant always tries to outgrow them... but they are faster and will eventually feed on the whole plant. Yours doesnt seem to have older leaves particularly affected.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 05:49:07 AM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2015, 06:06:01 AM »

But in my experience spider mite damage is a leaf increasingly being covered by white spots until white spots merge into one big white damaged area with a few green spots left.

Good description!  I agree, it doesn't look like spider mite damage.

I'm leaning toward fungal.  Are the plants in a very moist environment?

Also, what do the leaf undersides look like?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 06:14:08 AM by plantlight »
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2015, 06:35:16 AM »

I'm leaning toward fungal.  Are the plants in a very moist environment?

Exactly what I was thinking altho, the brown wouldnt be typical in my book more a black and usually you either have a very mean fungus or you need some sort of injury on the plant to aow the fungus to get a hold on. My money is on Cercospora sp.  positive identification and therefore ruling out of Ramularia and bacterial attack is done by inspecting older infected areas with a magnifying glass, if you find small black dots in the affected area you can be certain you have Cercospora. Also typical for all fungi would be any kind of growth (white / grey / black fuzzy) on the underside of the affected spots. If you have a fungus or any kind of organism make sure you understand how it spreads around before you act as you dont want to spread it unecessary.

However: I wouldnt be afraid to remove leaves on theese, better too many than too little, then bag the pot in, take it in the sink or shower and wash and scrub it down, better too hard than to gentle. Plants are suprisingly forgiving when it comes to physical treatment (shouldnt snap or scratch it open tho) and pests are suprisingly affected by just removing whats home to it and also washing the plant to remove any eggs spores and the likes.

Dont be afraid to use soap or mild bleach or H2O2 on your plant as long as you wash it well afterwards and bag in the pot really well so nothing gets into the pot. Yet if something does, you can flush it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 06:54:42 AM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

FewTrueSeed

• Many Meiosis
  • Trading Score: +134
  • Fungophile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2015, 01:39:00 PM »

I have been using a mild soap solution and vinegar. It's by humid. Maybie too dry. The Psychotria mist defiantly had mites and the kratom had scales. Perhaps a fungal infection followed.
Never portray yourself to betray yourself, there is no I in self.

https://mycotek.org/index.php?members/fewtrueseed.1965/

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2015, 12:56:23 AM »

BTW: Give your plant some love and touch and stroke it (with clean hands) as often as you can. Being touched in a regularly basis has two primary effects on plants: They grow more compact and their resistance towards insects and fungi is greatly improved.

Im not joking and not saying you can fix it that way but prevent it that way and aid the fixing process.
Praise is mandatory.
Pages: 1 [2]