Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Reusing GA3 solutions for multiple seed soaks?  (Read 10866 times)

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
Reusing GA3 solutions for multiple seed soaks?
« on: November 20, 2013, 03:34:50 AM »

One of the reasons why I haven't tried using a GA3 soak for any of my seeds yet is because I'm not really sure if I can reuse the solution after it's been used for a pre-soak once. I imagine that after a while the PPM would decrease from multiple uses as a pre-soak solution (last I checked GA3 isn't an enzyme), so then the question would be how quickly would the solution lose its original concentration (assuming it's properly stored)?

That question does assume that you are able to reuse GA3 for pre-soaking many different seeds over an extended period of time. The one problem I can see arising from multiple soaks like that would be if there is contamination on any of the seeds it would then contaminate the GA3 solution and potentially contaminate any seeds in any soaks thereafter. Then again soaking any seeds in a weak bleach solution before the GA3 soak would alleviate any contamination issues.

I don't want to make any more GA3 solution than I need at one time if I can't reuse it after only a single pre-soak, wouldn't want to be wasteful :)

Thoughts?

Greentoe

• Trading Score: +238
Re: Reusing GA3 solutions for multiple seed soaks?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 04:20:53 AM »

I've been wondering the same thing. Everyone I've asked has told me they don't reuse it. On jlhudsonseeds.net they say a solution can be stored for 4 years in the dark, at room temperature and still be fully active.

I guess trying would be the way to find out. Keep reusing the same solution until either it starts growing something in it or until it no longer has the same effect on germination rates of the same kind of seeds. We'll never know until someone tries.

olyd88

• Fallen Angel
  • Trader
  • Trading Score: +8
  • always positive!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 04:56:00 AM »

Nice questions, i think one of best way to test, is to take some sample from the solution for example 20ml before and after soaking the seeds, then do the same for another soak.
We can use the sample for any experiments like spraying or seeds soaking.
Holy Family Ethnobotanical Garden Sdn.Bhd(2018-2030)

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 05:02:32 AM »

I didn't realize this was uncharted territory... I do have an interesting idea on how easily reuse the solution though.

What I'm thinking of doing is making different PPM solutions in mason jars (labeling when it was made, and how many times it was used), then to soak the seeds I can simply put them into those empty tea bags you can find at tea stores for making custom teas (or make your own filter bags with coffee filters) that way I can move the seeds in and out of the solution without ever taking the solution out of the mason jar.

I already mentioned doing a pre-dip in a weak bleach solution prior to the GA3 soak to kill off any contaminants, anyone here think a quick dip in an h2o2 solution before the GA3 soak would work any better at eliminating contaminants? More or less brainstorming at this point...

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 05:12:11 AM »

The solution JLH successfully stored for years in the dark was not full of seed exudates, anyone who pre-soaks beans before cooking them knows seeds add stuff to the soaking water  ;)
Plant pathogens aside, my guess to the biggest problem would be the used solution rapidly growing bacteria and yeasts which could metabolize the GA3 or just make the solution unsafe to use (because the bacteria might eat your seeds). Even bleach pre-treating seeds wont stop that.
Freezing the used solution would stop any microbial growth and kill bacteria, probably increasing the number of times it could be used before going funky.
Another, probably lesser, consideration is that GA3 tends to be used on seed with hormonal dormancy, those dormins could get in the solution and at least partly counteract the anti-dormancy effect of GA3.
I've reused solutions but my preferred method is to make a potent GA3 tincture or stock solution (say, 0 to 20% alcohol) and dilute as needed to make very small batches of soaking solution. If you prefer a 500 ppm solution make a 1% solution and dilute 5 drops from a eye dropper or tincture style dropper bottle into 1 teaspoon of solution.

olyd88

• Fallen Angel
  • Trader
  • Trading Score: +8
  • always positive!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 05:22:07 AM »

Auxin is right, the bacteria existed in the solutions and it might affect the seeds, i'm gonna discard the first unfreezed solution i made a month ago, i can see something like spider web formed in the solution after two weeks stored. I think that is the bacteria formed.
Holy Family Ethnobotanical Garden Sdn.Bhd(2018-2030)

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 05:23:42 AM »

I guess that answers that

Auxin: Do you allow the teaspoon of newly made GA3 solution sit for a while to allow the alcohol from the tincture to evaporate or is that nothing to worry about since it's really dilute at point?

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 06:36:27 AM »

Thats something I've never fully found an answer for. With the above mentioned dilutions, 5 drops 20% alcohol dissolved to 1 tsp, that would be 2% alcohol, a concentration seeds seem to tolerate in my experience. Decomposing plant fruits, even things like chilli peppers, get above that alcohol content, but a stock solution with more GA3 or no alcohol could be used out of caution. A water solution of GA3 will freeze just fine and it'll redissolve when the ice melts, just dont do that in glass bottles ;)
Or you could just use distilled water and hope JLH is right about room temp being ok.

PermieGing

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +11
  • Grow the future of humanity!
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 01:24:10 PM »

Could something like a bit of citric acid dissolved in the solution help, as well??

Ive heard of scarifying large amounts of seed, one would just do a soak with the citric acid to dissolve the seed coat a bit. Also, i would think it would hinder (maybe only a wee little bit) microbial growth.

Then again, if its dissolving the seed coat, id think it may not be reusable as much.
Also, it may not be fit for more sensitive seeds..

Just a thought :P
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 02:11:52 PM by PermieGing »
“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.”  Bill Mollison

"You can solve all the worlds problems in a garden" Geoff Lawton

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 10:33:18 PM »

Mold cannot eat GA3. It cannot grow on pure GA3. However, mold can eat organic matter. Once you soak a batch of seeds with GA3 that GA3 is then contaminated and liable to get mold. I've had it happen once when soaking blueberry seeds in an attempt to reduce cold stratification period. Even if you treated with bleach you would have to wash them in sterile water after to remove any residual bleach because the GA3 softens the seed shell and the bleach would possible soak in and kill it. Not only that, but some of the seeds cells would still get into the solution.
GA3 is very cheap to produce so the only reason I see  for anyone to want to reuse it is just to keep up the spirit of conservation. I think there is an adage that could be applicable here but for the life of me I can't think of it.

I don't think that the ppm would decrease after soaking and if it does the difference would be negligible.

Regardless, I encourage experimentation. Perhaps you'll have a serendipitous moment and we will learn something no one has though of. :)

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 11:48:22 PM »

Giberellic acid is an organic chemical so I could see some bacteria being able to metabolize it when it's in a solution that the bacteria can thrive in like water with some other organic matter present. And also chemicals do degrade from things like light. If it was to be reused it would have to be hidden from light when soaking and after the soaking when you store it.

I don't really see a point in reusing it either since i use such small amounts. I guess if you were soaking something like a peach seed you might want to reuse it since you need a lot to completely submerge it. But if it was a seed like that I'd imagine it would contaminate the solution quite a bit with organic matter.
Cactus = Life