Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: should I worry?  (Read 7382 times)

Da-1

• Trading Score: +3
  • peyote pup
should I worry?
« on: October 29, 2013, 09:52:49 AM »

Hi ev1

I received a really awesome gift form a brother on another board, I will make a post of them when they have healed and potted, but here is my concern where a few cuts have been made there is this color I have not seen b4, should I re-cut them? I don't want to stress them out to much, thanks for all help in advanced.

Regards, Da-1
Its not rocket science

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
Re: should I worry?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 10:22:48 AM »

That doesn't look good at all. Looks like its rotting. I would definitely recut that and treat it with sulfur powder. If you don't have sulfur, cinnamon can work as a substitute.

Does it smell bad?

Da-1

• peyote pup
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 10:34:27 AM »

Hi Sunshine

Thanks for the reply, no there is no smell @ all but there does look like a bit of fuzz, unfortunately I don't have sulphur or cinnamon, and I won't be able 2 get until the weekend as I have no transport, my san pedro that I cut I just used a flame sterile knife, it sunk in a bit but was clear no dis-color, I will cut all the 1's that have that color and will update with pic's when they healed and potted thanks again for the help.

Regards, Da-1
Its not rocket science

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 11:33:44 AM »

Fuzz is definitely a bad sign. You should try to dry off the end as best as you can when you cut them since you have no antimicrobial agents.
There are lots of things that are antimicrobial/anti-mould. Do you have any herbs like rosemary, chamomile, or thyme? Their oils have great antimicrobial properties. If you don't have anything like that you should dab it with some sterile gauze or something right after cutting to help dry it out as much as possible. Dab it every 15 minutes or so. Its internal liquid will come out slowly for a little while after cutting.

Da-1

• peyote pup
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 12:52:17 PM »

Hi Sunshine

Thanks for the awesome info, I have some thyme seedlings I can hash those and plant more lol, I just cut them so after my coffee I shall raid the garden, so just grind them 2 a past and dab it on?

Regards, Da-1
Its not rocket science

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 01:19:32 PM »

When you trim them make sure to cut about 1/2 inch above the rot line. Leave anything closer than that and the rot will spread. I would recommend setting the cutting on the edge of a table and then trimming, so that the rotted piece falls to the floor (or trash can), that way your work are does not get contaminated.

Things to remember to prevent rot, free draining medium and letting the medium dry completely before re watering, and no watering for approx 2 weeks after potting or transplanting. The roots get damaged during planting and will let in bacteria that will later cause rot.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:18:50 AM by nobody »
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 05:10:53 PM »

I would say don't do anything to it untill you get sulfur. That herbal stuff has never worked for me when the cutting already has some rot on it. Then once you can get sulfur powder then just do what sunshine and nanashi were saying.
Cactus = Life

Da-1

• peyote pup
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 06:21:34 PM »

Hi ev1

Thanks for the help Sunshine, nanashi and New Wisdom, I had already made the cut, I have not put anything on the wound, I have put I small fan 2 aid in the drying for a few hours, I cut the rot away about 5 to 8cm away off the side of a table, I flamed in between cuts aswell just 2 make sure, many many thanks for the help ev1 I will post pic's when they healed and potted and show them off with the rest of my lil cacti garden, thanks for reading.

Regards, Da-1 
Its not rocket science

Greentoe

• Trading Score: +238
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 08:16:03 PM »

That'll probably work fine. I've had to cut spots like that off cuttings a few times and never used sulfur. So far I've only seen the rot return once (it was on a bridgesii which seem to be more prone to rot). I think as long as you cut it a little above the rot line and provide a little air flow (which it sounds like your doing) you should be good.

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 10:03:54 PM »

The only time I had fuzzy mold on a cutting I tried so many different things. It was a foot long cutting and first I just chopped off an inch. Then it came back, so I tried cutting it and putting cinnamon on it. Came back, did the cinnamon thing again, came back. So finally I ordered sulfur for it and cut off another two inches then put sulfur and rooting powder on it and it stopped and rooted. I lost about 6" of that awesome monstrose pachanoi/peruvianus cutting.
Cactus = Life

Da-1

• peyote pup
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 10:10:46 PM »

Hiya Greentoe

Thanks for the advice, I done my pedro and myrtil this way and was ok, I phone a friend he will pick me up in the morning and take me 2 buy some sulphur, is it ok 2 put it on so long after cutting? Thanks for all help.

Regards, Da-1
Its not rocket science

Da-1

• peyote pup
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 10:14:49 PM »

Hey New Wisdom

Sorry 2 hear about that wat a pitty, I need 2 add that 2 my wish list lol, and sorry I was typing the last txt and after posting saw your message, is it ok if I put the sulphur on 2morow morning it will be about 14hours after cutting? Thanks for all the help.

Regards, Da-1
Its not rocket science

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 10:17:59 PM »

I ordered sulfur for it and cut off another two inches then put sulfur and rooting powder on it and it stopped and rooted.

How was the sulfur and rooting powders applied? Did you simply dip the cut end of the cactus into the powders and let whatever sticks stay or did you lightly dust it using a sifter so it's not so heavily covered, or am I way off?

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 11:12:16 PM »

Hey New Wisdom

Sorry 2 hear about that wat a pitty, I need 2 add that 2 my wish list lol, and sorry I was typing the last txt and after posting saw your message, is it ok if I put the sulphur on 2morow morning it will be about 14hours after cutting? Thanks for all the help.

Regards, Da-1

I usually apply it fresh, but I think it would still help. If the infection comes back take off another inch and then re apply. 

Quote from: TBM
How was the sulfur and rooting powders applied? Did you simply dip the cut end of the cactus into the powders and let whatever sticks stay or did you lightly dust it using a sifter so it's not so heavily covered, or am I way off?

What I do is sprinkle it on the wound and then rub it around with my finger so it's covering every part of the wound. A pretty thick covering. Then I will tap it a few times to make the excess stuff fall off.
Cactus = Life

Da-1

• peyote pup
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 04:44:42 AM »

Hi New Wisdom

Thanks for the help I will apply it when I get home and hope that the infection does not return, will keep ev1 updated, thanks for reading.

Regards, Da-1
Its not rocket science