Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mold/fungi on dirt?  (Read 7162 times)

Mr. seeds

• Trading Score: 13
  • JSK
Mold/fungi on dirt?
« on: April 25, 2016, 10:12:27 PM »

So there's what appears to be mold (a fuzzy coating) on the dirt of a few plants. Is there a way to remove it? I also caught a small mushroom growing in one of  the pawpaw tree containers. I'm gonna have to do some depesting too, there appears to be little gnats in the dirt and some centipedes. Anyone recommend a natural pest control?
life is like a seed; sometimes in order to grow you have to be dropped in dirt, covered by darkness, and struggle for light. The answer is the light in the darkness...

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Trading Score: +56
  • Howdy Y'all
Re: Mold/fungi on dirt?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 02:22:06 AM »

I assume these are outdoor plants since you have centipedes in them? Fungal growth and fungus gnats are indicative of poor quality soil and overwatering. How old are your plants? What kind of soil are you using? How often do they get water and what are your current average day /night temps?
Undergoing the formality of being alive.

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 04:21:03 AM »

Less water
 When you do water add hydrogen peroxide, chamomile tea, 'liquid copper'
 Light UV is a great sanitation agent
 Bacillus thuringiensis var israelensis (mosquito dunks) works great for fungi knats

peroxide mixing charts  ---   http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/gardening-with-hydrogen-peroxide.html

I think the centerpedes are likely eating the knat larva ? ?
III%

Ian Morris

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +52
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 05:51:11 AM »

cinnamon has pretty powerful antifungal properties, the one caution I have is that be careful not to coat everything because liberal use of cinnamon has 'choked' plants for me, less is more, I alternate hydrogen peroxide and cinnamon and this kills most soil impurities for me

-Ian

sporehead

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 06:17:07 AM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Fungi are a natural part of healthy soils. If it's not damaging the plant, leave it alone. It's doing its job, cycling vital nutrients to the soil. The little mushrooms you saw are likely a coprinus species.  They are common in nutrient rich soils. Fear not.

Mr. seeds

• JSK
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 07:00:21 AM »

Well woot! i have my answers :) and with what sporehead said does anyone have ideas on fungi friendly ways to kill off the gnats and possibly centipedes (unless they're doing good too). So far i think that the paw paws are my main concern. I'll restrict the use of water.

I've got plenty of cinnamon, hydrogen peroxide, and chamomile but the other stuff i'm unsure of where to find.
life is like a seed; sometimes in order to grow you have to be dropped in dirt, covered by darkness, and struggle for light. The answer is the light in the darkness...

Mr. seeds

• JSK
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 07:03:21 AM »

Ohhh! and also the plants are now indoor since we moved into new apartments but i can take them outdoor every now and then. I'll try to figure out what the temps are and update y'all

LIBERTYNY

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 08:11:08 AM »

Hey Mr. seeds

Mayabe next year we can swap pawpaw seed's my mango pawpaw is flowering this year prolifically  :)
III%

Mr. seeds

• JSK
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 01:08:06 AM »

Maybe :) these guys were the ones that (if i remember correctly) cunningplatapus sent me. I don't know what kind of variety they are but i'm hoping to poke holes in a laundry tub and fill it with dirt to give em a bigger container for their roots to grow. They seem to still be alive though it's kinda hard to tell since they're still sticks and haven't developed new leaves yet.

I'd like to try to go hunting for paw paw tree's and start at least 10-20 from seed. probably 10, 20 sounds intimidating! lol

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Trading Score: +56
  • Howdy Y'all
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 03:13:41 AM »

While it is true that beneficial fungi are an integral part of healthy soil, many commercial potting soils these days are either so sterile and lifeless that they are easily overrun by harmful fungi and bacteria are have already been taken over by the bad guys before you ever open the bag. Try growing something in miracle grow organic potting soil if you don't believe me. That stuff is pure garbage. I suggest starting with good quality soil, ensure proper drainage, and don't overwater. You are probably not going to get good results by throwing any old "dirt" in a tub. Check out your local nursery or feed store to get the good stuff without having to spend a fortune or learn how to make your own compost.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 03:15:32 AM by Psylocke »
Undergoing the formality of being alive.

Mr. seeds

• JSK
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 04:33:52 AM »

Would i be able to just straight compost? Also are there ways to encourage beneficial fungi?

I do believe compost is being heavily discounted in this one place that sells some. I think they even give alittle away if they have an excessive amount from what i've heard.

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 05:03:04 AM »

Are you sure they are not millipedes? Easy way to find out, grab one, if it bites you it's a centipede if not it's a millipede. Centipede bites feel like liquid fire so you will know for sure. Millipedes are very good to have, they eat dead fall and mulch turning it to nutrient filled goodness.

nobody
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

Hummingbird

• Trading Score: 74
  • Got nectar?
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 08:17:35 PM »

I had lost many plants in cheap soil mixes. It gets the above mentioned mold/fungi over time, and root rot is too common. It wasn't obvious to me at first, but good soil is crucial...

I would also mention that using homemade organic fertilizer seems to bring some "life" to the cheap lifeless mixes, but I'll still avoid them in the future, expect maybe for some very resistant plants.

Mr. seeds

• JSK
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 07:17:43 AM »

Is there another way to tell? lol...

Also i'm thinking that i'm going to try to get new dirt soon just to be on the safe side and i'll replant them in much bigger containers and try to add millipedes (any other good helpful insects?) and do what i can to encourage beneficial fungi. Can one buy live milipedes and release them into the dirt?

Also while on the topic of dirt how do i increase the microbe content in my PV's?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 07:18:29 AM by Mr. seeds »

Hummingbird

• Trading Score: 74
  • Got nectar?
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 06:22:43 PM »

Is there another way to tell? lol...

Also i'm thinking that i'm going to try to get new dirt soon just to be on the safe side and i'll replant them in much bigger containers and try to add millipedes (any other good helpful insects?) and do what i can to encourage beneficial fungi. Can one buy live milipedes and release them into the dirt?

Also while on the topic of dirt how do i increase the microbe content in my PV's?

Bro.. Just don't overthink it. I had the white stuff on surface on soil many times, every time due to bad soil mix/overwatering, it never did any damage to the plants though. But if it smells bad, it is a problem and I would recommend transplanting to a better soil mix in that case.

This is just my theory, keep in mind:
Microbes are everywhere, just don't have enough food to grow in some poor soil mixes, so they might even attack the roots of the plant. How would you make them multiply? By introducing some food for them in form of decayed organic matter (compost) or organic fertilizer.
Pages: [1] 2