Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: What are Medicinal Plants?  (Read 12949 times)

PermieGing

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +11
  • Grow the future of humanity!
What are Medicinal Plants?
« on: October 14, 2013, 06:50:07 PM »

http://permaculturenews.org/2013/10/09/medicinal-plants/

"In contrast though, medicinal plants, in many incidences and within various cultures, are described by their adherents as working on a higher physiological level. Astringents make muscle solids firm; diaphoretics promote perspiration by the skin, which makes them more versatile. A plant that increases the secretion of urine can also be used to treat kidney and bladder ailments or to eliminate body poisons. For example, tannins are compounds that bind with proteins in the skin and mucous membranes and convert them into insoluble, resistant tissues. So plants that are high in tannins may be used for a number of ailments such as; diarrhea, wounds, inflamed gums and hemorrhoids.

Medicinal plants commonly have several constituents working together catalytically to produce a combined effect which surpasses their individual activity. Modes of preparation and ingestion are also very important."
“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.”  Bill Mollison

"You can solve all the worlds problems in a garden" Geoff Lawton

isaak

• Trading Score: +60
Re: What are Medicinal Plants?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 07:32:43 PM »

Thanks for posting PermieGing. The first two paragraphs are particularly relevant to the research project I'm currently working on.
The more I talk to birds, the better I get.

Seed Collector

• Slow but reliable
  • Trading Score: +93
  • Oklevueha Native American Church Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 05:24:55 AM »

"tannins are compounds that bind with proteins in the skin and mucous membranes and convert them into insoluble, resistant tissues. So plants that are high in tannins may be used for a number of ailments such as; diarrhea, wounds, inflamed gums and hemorrhoids."

This reminds me of Persimmon trees (high tannin content).

I once had an Ecology instructor tell the class that Persimmon foliage was used by Native Americans, and they "tanned" hides with that foliage inside barrels of water.

PermieGing

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +11
  • Grow the future of humanity!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 02:13:29 PM »

I have persimmon trees alllll around me.
I are about 20 sweetish ones off the ground, and had like a chemical burn on my toungue for a week!
But they were good! Hehe

I tried getting lots of seed, but their seed is odd, some is like flat?
“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.”  Bill Mollison

"You can solve all the worlds problems in a garden" Geoff Lawton