Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Salutations plant men and women!  (Read 5905 times)

Lenny

Salutations plant men and women!
« on: December 16, 2015, 03:40:39 AM »

Hi there all! I am glad to be on this forum to learn and share what I can. I am fairly new to growing plants that aren't peppers, tomatoes, you know the eaty kind of plants. It started with a calea zacatechichi plant last fall, but after this past summer I have more plants than windowspace! In the dead of winter I have managed to optimize my indoor s. divinorum flow... my first salvia and mother plant died a couple weeks ago (less than a year old  :'( ) but I have learned not to make the same mistakes with her many children. Basically I am not babying them - i.e. I'm giving them as much light as possible and not staking them. When they fall over they grow back with stronger stems which means stronger cuttings. Unless the stem snaps in which case I'm ready to make a new plant. Oh also I put the kids in the biggest pots available, with a friend. I've also got two b. caapi plants which have been doing surprisingly well in my dry heated house.  I've got some cactus (pc san pedro and trichocereus bridgesii) although I am having a hell of a time getting some newer cuttings to root. Maybe because of the winter time. Those things are really not meant for my climate anyway. A couple other things are growing around the house. I filled out the list on my profile (although I didn't include the, uh, *regular* plants/herbs that I have around)

I also have a pretty nasty fungus gnat problem - in my lab I kill many every day and even more die trying to drink my coffee, lemonade.. etc. I have found diatomaceous earth (food/pet safe kind) to be effective for controlling them on a plant by plant basis although it needs to be added to every pot which I have not yet got around to. As far as I can tell the gnats haven't affected my plants so much, but they supposedly can be lethal to seedlings and this spring I am planning on starting some stuff from seed. A bit early to be planning I know but I'm excited!

Which brings me to my plans for the future which are to this spring grow some new plants. I have some lophophora seeds and various acacia seeds, and I'm hoping to get some celastrus paniculatus going as well and hopefully I will be able to share some info about that here since as far as I can tell very little information can be found online about growing celastrus. Although I may not have the room or sunlight or climate or experience for any of these, I'll stick by what's worked for me so far - grow first, ask questions later!

Anyway I signed up here for info, moral support, to convince myself I'm not crazy for filling my house with these plants cuz y'all are doing it too, and hopefully to share some knowledge and eventually cuttings/seeds with you people.

Thanks for reading, hope it wasn't too rambly!

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
Re: Salutations plant men and women!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 04:38:40 AM »

Welcome!

Ian Morris

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +52
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 05:18:33 AM »

Big fan of nootropics (id estimate half of the attorneys I know use some form greater than caffeine), im excited to learn more about celastrus paniculatus.

We share all types of seeds here, yummy and otherwise!  Seriously there are some amazing peppers going round.

In regards to trichocereus; leave the cutting to the warmer months.  My winter cuttings (cut and planted in winter months) are etiolated but spring cuttings are fine.

mj

• Trading Score: +54
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 08:51:16 AM »

Welcome to STS you are most definitely in the right place. Best regards mj.

Athena

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +176
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 10:53:28 AM »

Welcome to STS Lenny  ;D

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 01:09:04 PM »

Welcome to STS!
Spreading love!

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 01:18:09 PM »

Anyway I signed up here for info, moral support, to convince myself I'm not crazy for filling my house with these plants cuz y'all are doing it too, and hopefully to share some knowledge and eventually cuttings/seeds with you people.

Thanks for reading, hope it wasn't too rambly!
Welcome Lenny, you're among like-minded souls!

By the way, that was the perfect amount of ramble!  :)
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

matkeel

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 04:10:45 PM »

Hi Lenny

Welcome. I'm brand new myself but have been furtively poring through the archives - lots of great material. Calea zacatechichi was my gateway plant (into growing, that is) too...

Mat

kykeion

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 06:54:48 PM »

Welcome Lenny!

I have found that gnatrol works well for fungus gnats.

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 02:26:09 AM »

G'day, cool collection.
Welcome!
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 02:39:25 AM »

Welcome Lenny!

I have found that gnatrol works well for fungus gnats.

I have never found Gnatrol on the shelf, But mosquito dunks usually have the same active ingredent 'BT var. iraslis' and are readly avaible, and do work quite well - Just shave off some powder and sprinkle it on top of the media and water

and

Welcome Lenny
III%

sporehead

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 03:25:05 AM »

Hi Lenny and welcome! Impressive first post you wrote up. From the sounds of it, you made it to the right place. I do hope to see you around :)

FewTrueSeed

• Many Meiosis
  • Trading Score: +134
  • Fungophile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 03:34:51 AM »

Welcome.  8)
Never portray yourself to betray yourself, there is no I in self.

https://mycotek.org/index.php?members/fewtrueseed.1965/

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2015, 04:34:23 AM »

I had fungus gnat infections from soils I used :/. Aces and coco indoors. Gnatrol works, I also used pingiucula a succulent that eats fungus gnats