Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Waterbed heater as a germination heat mat???  (Read 7056 times)

Convergence

Waterbed heater as a germination heat mat???
« on: August 10, 2015, 04:01:16 PM »

Ive heard of people doing this, but how would it work? What do you do with that metal thermometer bit thats supposed to stick in part of the waterbed to read temperature and act as a thermostat? And how do you manage the hotter temperatures it creates when compared to regular seed heating mats? Is it a potential fire hazard? What about pet heating mats like those ones for reptiles, are they suitable?

Ian Morris

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +52
Re: Waterbed heater as a germination heat mat???
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 12:13:53 AM »

I think we have all been tempted by this one.  I asked a year or two ago and It was either New Wisdom or Happyconcacti that said they would not recommend it because it gets too hot and they ended up melting some carpet and scorching seedlings.

Too tempting, I  know.

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 02:17:31 AM »

Ha, I remember that thread. I believe there was mention of a lost rental security deposit... :P

Convergence

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 03:48:48 AM »

damn... Heating mats are so small, and buying multiples gets expensive. And that used waterbed heater is just so cheap and large!

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 04:40:55 AM »

Ha, I remember that thread. I believe there was mention of a lost rental security deposit... :P

HAHAHA, yeah that was me.

Burned a 1/4" deep into a hardwood floor. Live n Learn. YOLO.  :P

Hcc

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 04:49:39 AM »

Also, water beds are designed to heat up water. It takes a lot of energy to heat a water bed.

You could use one but be sure to test it.

I'd recommend keeping it simple and checking out HydroFarms heat pads with a digital thermostat.

Peace,
Hcc

hereje

• Trading Score: +90
  • Zone: 5a 5b
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 06:48:33 AM »

Ive never had any trouble germinating seeds without a heater and most break soil within a week, so is it really worth all the hastle to setup heaters? Or is there more to this subject that im not seeing?

I have a bit of experience with waterbed heaters and i hate to say they are extremely dangerous if they dont have a large mass to absorb the energy
Hmmm... what does this button do?

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 03:27:41 AM »

Just a normal electric blanket works fine and a single fits a fold up table perfectly.
I get a fold up table($30), electric blanket ontop($20), old wool blanket over the top($1 from op shop), pots plastic containers on top of that.
Water isn't an issue as the blanket stays flat and is water proof, and I plug it into a circuit board on a timer, no fire issues.
This is similar http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Electric-Blanket-Tie-Down-Winter-Warm-Gift-in-Single-size-bed-/262003526586?hash=item3d00a08bba

Setting 3 keeps soil at 28c(82.4f)
Setting 2 keeps soil at ~25c(77f)
Setting 1 makes no difference at all. I keep it set on 3.

That is on the balcony even at 3am when the ambient temp is 5-15c(40-60f)
I have a timer switch that turns the heater off at 9am and back on at 6pm.
First year trialing it and it works so well I will be doing it next winter for sure as well.
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 03:36:26 AM »

pics
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

Convergence

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 07:48:53 AM »

I scored a free waterbed heater that has an attached heat dial, not a proper thermostat because its not reading the temprature and responding, but at least I have some control.

Running it at half strength and already its noticeably hotter than my regular seed heat mats. Getting higher germination rates with the waterbed heater too, and its nice and big.

FewTrueSeed

• Many Meiosis
  • Trading Score: +134
  • Fungophile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 02:35:58 PM »

I have two large heat mats that I have used under a massive tub of shallow water. I floated trays of mushroom substrate in it at the time, and was able to maintain a constant temp over a much larger surface area than the mats would cover by themselves. My friends hydro setup has a water heater. It's some sort of coil inside glass that plugs direct into the wall. It looks like a hair curling thingy. In any event I have been electrocuted by it several times. Dangerous.
Never portray yourself to betray yourself, there is no I in self.

https://mycotek.org/index.php?members/fewtrueseed.1965/