Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: What's the best way to keep Iboga seeds?  (Read 6700 times)

rhythmspring

What's the best way to keep Iboga seeds?
« on: June 27, 2015, 07:20:16 AM »

So that they remain viable for a long, long time?

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
Re: What's the best way to keep Iboga seeds?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 08:21:59 AM »

Since Iboga seeds are recalcitrant seed they can not be stored for a long time and keep their viability. If the seeds are dried the viability drops to 1 - 3% at most, in as little as 3 months the seed viability can drop to 0%.

nobody
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 01:53:25 PM »

In my experience, contrary to common belief, "dry" Iboga and Voacanga seeds do work. If you cut one open you will either find a colorless jelly inside, thats a viable seed, or you find nothing but dust inside, thats a dead seed. Now if you cut 10 open you can approximate your percentage or live seeds pretty close, obviously you need a bigger batch to do that.

Mind: They are desication intolerant, means you can not fully dry them, I think if you dont want them to germinate the best might be to clean them well and then keep them in an environment humid enough to slow down desication but not humid enough to propagate mold. Maybe ~70% :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 02:46:15 PM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

rhythmspring

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 04:45:04 PM »

In my experience, contrary to common belief, "dry" Iboga and Voacanga seeds do work. If you cut one open you will either find a colorless jelly inside, thats a viable seed, or you find nothing but dust inside, thats a dead seed. Now if you cut 10 open you can approximate your percentage or live seeds pretty close, obviously you need a bigger batch to do that.

Good to know.

Mind: They are desication intolerant, means you can not fully dry them, I think if you dont want them to germinate the best might be to clean them well and then keep them in an environment humid enough to slow down desication but not humid enough to propagate mold. Maybe ~70% :)

And how do you propose one does that? I don't have a greenhouse that I can keep at 70%.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 11:30:22 PM »

And how do you propose one does that? I don't have a greenhouse that I can keep at 70%.

This is a funny one. I simply assumed 70% should be fine as cigars are kept at 70% for years and dont rot. So store them with your cigars. :D
Otherwise, coming closest to 70% with little effort: Make a saturated salt solution (~40g NaCl + 100g H2O) in a pot or glass and put that in a sealed bag together with the seeds. At ~20 C the humidity in your bag should be roughly ~75% rel. :P
Praise is mandatory.

rhythmspring

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 07:32:58 PM »

Hmm, okay, just did that.

But if I want to transport them easily, I'll likely have to take them out of the bag with the little glass of salt water... maybe they'll retain their 70% humidity? I want to store them for years.

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 09:42:05 PM »

Sharing the seeds with others who would grow them into trees, and so creating a new source of fresh seeds for all.  ;)
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 09:51:27 PM »

Hmm, okay, just did that.

But if I want to transport them easily, I'll likely have to take them out of the bag with the little glass of salt water... maybe they'll retain their 70% humidity? I want to store them for years.

Years is not likely to happen at all. ONandONandON is tight, If you share them maybe in a few years you can simply request some seeds and will be given your seeds children. Thats exactly my strategy if I worry about loosing or not establishing a population, especially if I already am low on seeds I share them rather than throw all at one attempt, hoping maybe someone else will make it and later I can ask some back.
Praise is mandatory.