Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: [Snake, Cockroach, Scorpion] repellant plants/methods/devices?  (Read 5203 times)

Radium

• Trading Score: +2
  • When I die, plz compost me :)

I plan to buy a farmhouse in 3 years, and I would like it to look wild and natural (letting invasive weeds grow on my spare land)

And I don't like the idea of a solid wall around my land (both expensive, and limiting the wildlife from crossing my land).
And I will build LOTS of compost piles on every corner.
So this farmhouse will attract lots of small critters, and small critters attract predators like scorpions and snakes.

I have never encountered any serpent in real life, but I am afraid of it so much.
And being a pacifist, I can't shoot/poison them.

Got any ideas about keeping scorpions and snakes away?
Like planting certain plants,
Or keeping certain pets/animals?

Please throw me ANY idea which comes to your mind.

I am thinking about planting lots of odorous/pungent herbs like:
- Lavender
- Mentha pulegium
- Capsicum spp

And also keeping lots of cats and cocks,
And planting lots of catnip and Valeriana officinalis, to keep the cats happy around the farm.
And also piss a lot around my farm, to let the serpents know this is mammal territory.
Ever seen videos of what a cat or cock can do to a serpent or scorpion?

Got other ideas?

« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 11:13:12 PM by Radium »
Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.

SoulGrower

• Trading Score: +151
Re: [Snake, Cockroach, Scorpion] repellant plants/methods/devices?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 11:44:46 PM »

The best thing to do is to accept that snakes, scorpions and the like, are a necessary part of our ecosystem.  And that they do far better good than bad!  ;)

Really no need to be worried.  Fear is fine.  If you see a snake, simply walk away.  If you live in a place where things like scorpions are common, def keep an eye for them in the garden and avoid them.  Neither can move as fast as you can run  :D

I personally love snakes, spiders, scorpions, centipedes......  most of the things that evoke primal fears in everyone else lol. 

But my girlfriend is paralyzingly afraid of snakes and spiders.  So much so that I'm certain she manifests them  lmao  Seriously.. growing up as a kid who rounded up all the snakes he could.. I've never seen so many snakes as I have since we've been together (now 7 years).

Last year I decided there were so many (specifically black racers), that I had to thin the population.  I killed about 6 of them before I decided I couldn't do it anymore (remember that I really love snakes.  I was obsessed with them when I was a kid and thought I'd end up being a herpatologist).  But what one does for love  :-*  Well, I've since decided to start catching them and relocating them.  Last year probably a total of 20.  This year I'm already at about 10.  Five days ago I caught 4 of them before noon.  Two of which were mating... glad i got those suckers  ;D

Well, when my girlfriend found out about the four in one morning, she insisted we buy this stuff called Snake-Away.  Turned out to be moth balls hehe.  Probably work to some extent but everytime it rains... reapply.  But you could try that.

I would also recommend NOT moving to Florida
You don't have a soul
You are a soul
You have a body
C.S Lewis

Radium

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 01:01:00 AM »

I know that they are afraid of us more than we are afraid of them.
And they only attack us when they can't escape.
And will peacefully walk out of eye-to-eye encounters if given an exit door.

BUT, I'm afraid of unnoticed encounters.
Like stepping near, or ON a scared nervous serpent in the bushes, and getting bitten instantly.

An ancient Sogdian proverb says:
The serpent hates pennyroyal (Mentha pulegium) plants, and yet the plant choose to grow in front of the serpent's ground hole.

There might be some truth behind this claimed hatred.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 01:03:18 AM by Radium »
Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 03:43:14 AM »

Guineafowl, are prolfic eaters of bugs, and will kill moderate size snakes

As far as roaches go before you move in have a exterminator do what ever he need's to while your not liveing their,  If your climate permits winterize your house and let it freeze all winter

III%

Radium

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 07:10:18 AM »

How about cockfighting cocks?
I seriously hate the sport, but when domestic cocks can dominate snakes, imagine what a fighter cock would do to the poor creatures.

BTW how about goats?
They are curious and like to explore every corner.
Would these unwelcome sudden visits deter the serpent from the area?

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 09:21:43 AM »

I dont think you want a rooster prone to fighting running around your yard, sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen,

As far as poultry goes,  in general some will have the instinct to kill them to protect the hens, Some won't  Game birds will usually still have this instinct and if raised right will still be frendly (usualy)

I suggested the Guinea's becouse they are well known eaters of bugs, In the wild bugs are better than 90% of their diet also very low maintenance but can be noisey 
III%