Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Gingko Biloba: A 'Living Fossil'  (Read 3566 times)

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
Gingko Biloba: A 'Living Fossil'
« on: November 03, 2014, 12:46:32 PM »

Ginkgo biloba is the world's oldest living plant, and is known as a "living fossil" because it has no close living relatives, and appears to be the same as a plant species dating back 270 million years (Permian) in the fossil record. Native to China, the tree is widely cultivated and was introduced early to human history. It has various uses in traditional medicine and as a source of food. It is also one of a rare few (6%) dioecious flowering plants, meaning it has distinct male and female organisms.

Not only has this exceptionally hardy species survived three mass extinction events over the past quarter of a billion years, but it was found to be the only surviving plant species near the epicenter of 1945 Hiroshima atomic bomb blast.  In September 1945, the area around the blast center was examined and six Gingko biloba trees were found standing. They budded shortly after the blast without major deformations and are still alive to this day! ( To learn more about the Hiroshima Ginkgo trees visit The Ginkgo Pages  here)

One of the most encouraging studies on gingko biloba, showed that it was more effective than the blockbuster alzheimer's drug donepezil for treating symptoms of mild-to-moderate Alzheimer's disease.

Ginkgos adapt well to the urban environment, tolerating pollution and confined soil spaces. They rarely suffer disease problems, even in urban conditions, and are attacked by few insects. For this reason, and for their general beauty, ginkgos are excellent urban and shade trees, and are widely planted along many streets. Ginkgos are also popular subjects for growing as bonsai, they can be kept artificially small and tended over centuries. Furthermore, the trees are easy to propagate from seed.

Because of the presence of butyric acid, the fleshy layer produces an odour similar to rancid butter upon decay. Its tissues may cause nausea or skin eruptions (dermatitis) in man. The seed coat also contains small amounts of urushiol, an allergen that  only on contact with the skin is responsible for poison oak and poison ivy contact dermatitis in sensitive people so when gathering the ripe fruits wear rubber gloves.

Useful information about the propagation of this great specie: here

Hopefully some seeds to be shared in a near future!  ;)
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

delta9hippie

Re: Gingko Biloba: A 'Living Fossil'
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 01:00:41 PM »

Keep in mind, the female's fruit smells like a decomposing landfill, so unless you really want the fruit for some purpose, try to get a male ;)
I kind of like plants because they made the Earth inhabitable.

marshmellow

• Trading Score: +29
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 02:32:24 PM »

That's awesome , I have a bunch of seeds I planted that have never sprouted . was ready to give up on them but if they can survive Hiroshima maybe I should give more time. Thank you for  sharing

BotanyBay

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 09:45:16 PM »

Keep in mind, the female's fruit smells like a decomposing landfill, so unless you really want the fruit for some purpose, try to get a male ;)

Is it possible to determine if the plant will be male or female from the seed alone? I'd like to cultivate Ginko at some point, but I'm wary of the smell generated by the fruit-bearing female plants.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 10:24:00 PM »

Yeah i had commercial Ginko medicine for some time and I believe it did help alot !
Praise is mandatory.