Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: caapi ID  (Read 3841 times)

danzick

• Trading Score: +238
  • So many seeds, so little time.
caapi ID
« on: July 29, 2016, 09:13:13 PM »

I bought some "red caapi" seeds from WSS a while ago.  I managed to get one seedling that struggled for a long time, but now is starting to do well. (As opposed to dozens from EIRN's fresh seeds, but I won't go off on vendors that knowingly sell old/dud seeds.)

Anyway, below are pics with the "red caapi" in the middle and tucunaca on the left, ourinhos on the right.  Is the one in the middle B. muricata?

EIRN

• Golden Member
  • Trading Score: +212
Re: caapi ID
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 09:37:48 PM »

For sure your "red caapi" isn't B. caapi.

What is suposed to be red caapi? Another Malpighiaceae genera?

Stonehenge

• Trading Score: +53
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 10:00:29 PM »

It does not look like caapi to me but I would not rule it out entirely since there are so many varieties. The leaves do not look right at all

danzick

• Trading Score: +238
  • So many seeds, so little time.
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 10:25:23 PM »

For sure your "red caapi" isn't B. caapi.

What is suposed to be red caapi? Another Malpighiaceae genera?

WSS (where I bought the seeds) calls it "red caapi", but goes on to say it may be B. muricata, or B. colorada. 

BTW, your caapi seeds were great EIRN!!  Thanks so much.   :) :)

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 11:38:34 PM »

It doesn't look exactly like my B. muricata but it could be that its still young. However B. muricata does have a more lanced like leaf. Bach may be the man to ask.
Spreading love!

EIRN

• Golden Member
  • Trading Score: +212
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 11:45:39 PM »

There is not B. colorada specie...colorada means red.....B. colorada is a mix of latin name and popular name ayahuasca colorada. Also it isn't B. muricata.

I think lots of sellers doesn't know what they are selling. They are selling names.

Those color names to caapi sometimes are about brew color (I think Red is the case)...tucunacá produce a red brew for example. Sometimes colors are related to the visions....the plants look like the same in morphology. You will see with Ourinhos and Tucunacá, they are almost the same (don't loose the labels).

I'm glad you are happy with caapi seeds....I feel good to see caapi growing around the world.

Look for Caupuri variety with another members...maybe someone still have some seeds...this is a different one, in morphology and brew.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 11:49:30 PM by EIRN »