Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Yopo: How in the world do I germinate this?  (Read 9292 times)

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
Yopo: How in the world do I germinate this?
« on: October 04, 2014, 03:27:25 AM »

Greetings, Recently I managed to obtain a few yopo seeds and am now attempting to germinate them. I planted 3 of my 5 seeds in a 70/30 mix of potting soil/sand and they are currently getting misted every 15 minutes in a greenhouse. I planted the seeds sideways in the mix, with the tip of the seed covered by a 1-3mm layer of the potting mix. It has been a week so far and as of yet not a single seed has germinated. I was wondering what is the proper way to plant/germinate a yopo seed in order to have the best chance of propagation. I have a couple left to experiment with, and hope that with your advice they will all germinate and grow big and strong like the tree from which these special seeds came from.

Much love,
-Sherdan1
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
Re: Yopo: How in the world do I germinate this?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 03:52:58 AM »

What I do is put a cup of water into the microwave untill it's boiling. Then I take it out and let it cool untill it stops bubbling.  Then i put the seeds in there and leave them overnight.  If the outer shell falls off I plant it, if it doesn't I do another hot water soak.  I've gotten 100% germination with this method.
Cactus = Life

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 05:22:25 AM »

I have had 0 success with mine yet, how long do they typically take to germinate? I've done the hot water method til the coat falls off and planted.

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 05:32:40 AM »

Chickasaw, I have no clue how long they take to germinate and I have never successfully germinated this plant before. The seeds were put into the soil without being prepared in any way (i.e. treatment with warm water, bleach, peroxide, etc) and they were inserted vertically (long side of seed was vertical). I have heard that putting them in the ground this way has led to successful germination. New Wisdom, how long does it take for a yopo seed to germinate in your experience?
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 05:45:49 AM »

I do the same as New Wisdom with the hot water soak then place them in a Ziploc bag full of peat moss. After about a week they should be seedlings ready to plant.

nobody
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

marshmellow

• Trading Score: +29
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 06:13:51 AM »

I did a pea inoculation with mine , I planted store bought pea seeds on first . Cut the pea sprouts when there about  an inch  then plant yopo seeds in the same pot. Had them in zip lock bags for 2 week every one of them sprouted.i think its so thing to do with nitrogen and naturally occurring soil bacteria helps seeds in the legume family? Maybe not to sure about the science behind it but all mine have work.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 06:16:39 AM by marshmellow »

EIRN

• Golden Member
  • Trading Score: +212
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 03:07:51 AM »

The seed has a waterproof cover. It takes a while for this coverage to degrade and let water penetrate into the embryo of the seed. Don't give up of their seeds.
You can try to scratch the two seeds left over with nail file. This opens a passage to the water penetrate the seed and decrease the time of germination.

Worldseedsupply

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 12:20:26 PM »

There's no need to scarify these at all.  I actually just got some new seeds last week and have been using this method. http://www.worldseedsupply.com/germination-of-anadenanthera-colubrina-and-anadenanthera-peregrina-seeds/

Turk0lok0

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +18
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 01:31:18 AM »

The seed has a waterproof cover. It takes a while for this coverage to degrade and let water penetrate into the embryo of the seed. Don't give up of their seeds.
You can try to scratch the two seeds left over with nail file. This opens a passage to the water penetrate the seed and decrease the time of germination.

i used a needle to make delicately risks in the seeds husks...i found difference at time of germination of others that i dont make this procedure, but all seeds germinate at towel paper in a pot closed with cover inside the closet!