Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Proper lighting for Oncidiums?  (Read 10735 times)

thunderhorse

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +15
Re: Proper lighting for Oncidiums?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 07:13:07 AM »

thanks man , been cacteering for 4 years now .. or just about..
wishing you a fun passage to your cactaceal destiny!! , and safe fingers too :3

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the LED being white has the byproduct of viewing ease but the real reason is a financial one ..
these lights cost £11.99 each
and the nice purple light ganja hans panels (area51 in usa) that i've been tryna afford for so long are gna be about £400+ just for 2 .... ;)
one day eh?

yeah yeah i know but still use these floodlights regardless since i just got off the streets about 7 months ago and waiting to get a place with a garden .... so as you can see its helped em survive ... and i was only able to get my collection back thanks to the local cops ...

LED science is fun .....but low down on my list of things to do currently .
..but thanks all the same for the advice in case i wasnt aware already ..

just got a 30watt one for my rainforest box formicarium :3 only been in for 2 days , was £35...

anyhoo the 15watters are enough to make the oncidiums blush a bit since arrival and they had californian sun prior..
i was thinking ideally 8000k would be good for orchids in general...
 but seem to be getting away with this "poor-man's tek" sufficiently enough for now :)
Bliss wishes and happy growing ; )
Deseos bien aventurados y bendiciones las mas luminosas
 .•*¨`*•✫ . . . ✫•*¨`*•.¸(¯`✫´¯)¸.•´*¨`*•+Don't trust Ethnopluntes in France- they sell dead, old, dry virola

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 10:06:14 PM »

I feel bad when I start this over again :D buuut... that might most likely not be a 15 W device. I do not own one of those but I have heard many reports of theese lights (just like you have one) of their later generation utilizing a 15 W LED chip but not a ballast that drives the chip to its full power. One might assume it is a heat dissipation issue, as the chips heat is simply sunk into the housing. Now be careful as the same people (who obviously opened them to find out what kind of ballast they use) opened them and when doing so many found out theirs is NOT GROUNDED apparently for conveinience / cost and time saving reasons, wrong end to save something tho :D

If you're not shy of doing so crack one open, make sure its grounded and if needed do so, in a humid environment with plants (that are surprisingly conductive) this would give me  worries unless I made sure :D

Sorry again for going to bitch mode right away again I just dont like our members electrocuted :D Im glad it works for the orchids, beauties :)

Here is a good example of a chinese ebay "10 W" Led floodlight ... yiiikes !
Praise is mandatory.

modern

• Trading Score: +199
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2016, 02:08:58 AM »

Oncidium cebolleta can very bright indirect light like north facing window or outside shaded. I keep mine growing near a south facing patio overhead shaded. I like O. cebolleta due to being very drought tolerant compared to most orchids.

After the leaf/stem reaches a certain length it stops to grow(may thicken) and will start developing new bulbs. After the new bulb forms the growth rate is noticeable however does take some time to start growing.

I have started mine off in pure pumice and water once soak them once a week with just tap water (not hard) and once or twice a month I use some general fertilizer that I water all my plants with. I then replaced one on a flat wood slab with some moss and the roots are growing much healthier IMO then compared to pumice.

I'll post a picture tomorrow of mine. I split one stem and it has been slowly shriveling... hope it is putting its energy into a new bulb and will surprise me rather then just die. Hopefully I'll get some flowers come spring... I also have a Oncidium guianense miniature which has grown well which I haven't seen flower came with spent flower.

I've had mine for about a year.
Best time to sow is 5 years ago...

modern

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2016, 07:50:39 PM »

Not the best pictures but here they are... The roots of the pumice OC is more paper like and the one on the wood slab is thicker and seem healthier also quicker growing.

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2016, 08:16:13 PM »

The 4th picture is a different orchid.  That must be the Oncidium guianense miniature? ???
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

modern

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2016, 09:38:00 PM »

The 4th picture is a different orchid.  That must be the Oncidium guianense miniature? ???

Yes  :)

LSoares

• Trading Score: 3
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2016, 01:04:09 PM »

I love the equitant Oncidium (I believe they are Tolumna now?). I wish I had the weather to grow them.
Z, in sunny Lisbon

thunderhorse

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +15
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2016, 10:31:59 AM »

I feel bad when I start this over again :D buuut... that might most likely not be a 15 W device. I do not own one of those but I have heard many reports of theese lights (just like you have one) of their later generation utilizing a 15 W LED chip but not a ballast that drives the chip to its full power. One might assume it is a heat dissipation issue, as the chips heat is simply sunk into the housing. Now be careful as the same people (who obviously opened them to find out what kind of ballast they use) opened them and when doing so many found out theirs is NOT GROUNDED apparently for conveinience / cost and time saving reasons, wrong end to save something tho :D

If you're not shy of doing so crack one open, make sure its grounded and if needed do so, in a humid environment with plants (that are surprisingly conductive) this would give me  worries unless I made sure :D

Sorry again for going to bitch mode right away again I just dont like our members electrocuted :D Im glad it works for the orchids, beauties :)

Here is a good example of a chinese ebay "10 W" Led floodlight ... yiiikes !

these arent crap , took long to hunt down..,....and theyre all earthed well
ip65 rated and are 15watts and the new one is 30watts (and i know they are)..
theyre emergency cactlet salvation that worked so far ..  (which is the most important thing here)
and the rainforest box likes the all weather proof upgrade ( i just asked it and it totes said yeah)

if you dont like our members electrocuted then why are you suggesting i crack one open ?
this isn't some fly by night ebay shop i got these from .. dont be fooled by price i guess?..

and yeah i used to warn peeps with a youtube vid of some guy opening up a domestic light bulb from china off ebay with no earth...
 i think its all known now though and probably good advice for many who are new to LEDs..
-been using ip68 LEDs in aquariums without looking back for years now  ...
and following their progress since their very inception ..

perhaps your concerns are unwarranted and an oversight in my case?
thanks for looking out for us though ... :)

p.s. you can see theyre not a single chip like the crapper ones,
the power consumption is the wattage on these, not the output ... ;)

hmmm i need a kitty and mine recently died at 16 yrs and im going nuts without her ... , *grabs bubblecat and snugs* :3 mmm thats better ...
now that helps for sure #]

« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 11:10:10 AM by thunderhorse »
Bliss wishes and happy growing ; )
Deseos bien aventurados y bendiciones las mas luminosas
 .•*¨`*•✫ . . . ✫•*¨`*•.¸(¯`✫´¯)¸.•´*¨`*•+Don't trust Ethnopluntes in France- they sell dead, old, dry virola
Pages: 1 [2]