Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22

Author Topic: Psychotria viridis propagation  (Read 142495 times)

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
Re: Psychotria viridis propagation
« Reply #210 on: June 29, 2015, 05:07:36 PM »

Carth and alba can take anything from full shade to full sun, but I wouldn't expose your seedlings to full sun yet.

Viridis likes it shadier but some people keep theirs in full sun. I have never done that; mine get an hour or two of direct morning sun and maybe half an hour in the late afternoon.

They are all understory plants in habitat so they are well adapted to varying light conditions.
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

Toxicodendron

• Trading Score: +88
« Reply #211 on: August 06, 2015, 07:28:05 PM »

Seven weeks in, and the Nexus is the first to pop up! All of the other varieties still have turgid leaves, so odds are pretty good they will pop up in time.

FewTrueSeed

• Many Meiosis
  • Trading Score: +134
  • Fungophile
« Reply #212 on: August 31, 2015, 05:48:42 AM »

Thought I would share my virdis and alba. One of my first trades. They may get a little too much sun sometimes being in the greenhouse. They are growing fast though.
Never portray yourself to betray yourself, there is no I in self.

https://mycotek.org/index.php?members/fewtrueseed.1965/

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #213 on: August 31, 2015, 09:41:57 PM »

Nice! Looks like it's sprouting a bit too pale of a green, what kind of soil is it in? Might be lacking some nutrients.

FewTrueSeed

• Many Meiosis
  • Fungophile
« Reply #214 on: August 31, 2015, 10:00:12 PM »

It's a local organic potting soil. My hunch is that it gets too much sun. My coffee seedling gets a bit pale like that too. They are both under the top shelf n the greenhouse which gets ten or so hours of light right now. I think I'll get both into a more shady spot.

modern

• Trading Score: +199
« Reply #215 on: September 01, 2015, 03:37:15 AM »

Is it common for leaf sprouts to have triple leaves? Not sure if it will be a stable trait but found it interesting.
Best time to sow is 5 years ago...

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #216 on: September 01, 2015, 03:51:47 AM »

I have a P. nexus sprout that started with 3 cotyledons but then switched to two with the next set, doesn't appear to have negatively affected anything yet, although it's still fairly young yet. Those 3 first leaves did eventually fall off.

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #217 on: September 01, 2015, 01:07:20 PM »

You're likely right about too much light, but the soil might be too heavy too. They do really well in the "Bach" mix- 1:1:1 potting soil:perlite:vermiculite.

FewTrueSeed

• Many Meiosis
  • Fungophile
« Reply #218 on: September 01, 2015, 08:30:01 PM »

I was inspired to re-pot using that formula. Thanks. I did my coffee and Myer lemon clone as well. Should I fertilize them a tiny bit once they are settled? I lifted them up a bit as well. The stems should become strong. They are shaded now.

How the heck to I resize images????
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 08:51:07 PM by Tragicfalacygtr2 »

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #219 on: September 01, 2015, 10:26:26 PM »

You could fertilize with worm castings, you don't need to wait for roots to settle if you use castings, just add a thin layer on the surface when you water next.

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
« Reply #220 on: September 02, 2015, 04:37:47 AM »

Great thread!  I just read it again today and picked up some new ideas.  First, I'm going to try that 1:1:1 mix on my next rooting and compare it with the 2:1:1 I've been using.  Willing to try anything to improve results.  Well, almost anything. :).

Is there a recommended type of soil?  There are some that recommend Peat-based, Coir-based, or even pine bark based.

Post #31 links to a thread on another forum that discusses using pine bark based soil rather than peat based.  That thread is by someone that goes by Ringworm.  I read that sometime ago and started using pine bark last year in place of peat.  I had a bad experience with peat based soil but that may only be due to using it full strength.

I'm doing a comparison right now between pine bark versus coir and a mixture of the two.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 09:15:47 AM by plantlight »
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #221 on: September 02, 2015, 01:55:03 PM »

I think they will do ok with any soil type.

Ringworm knows what he's talking about, and the pine based I think is supposed to keep mold at bay.

I have always just used some good Fox Farm or something and watered with a 1% hydrogen peroxide if mold starts looking like an issue.

modern

• Trading Score: +199
« Reply #222 on: September 17, 2015, 01:40:18 AM »

So here are two of my viridis leaf cuttings... I have one more that looks quite shitty but is starting to do better now outside. I've had trouble with viridis leaf cuttings so a friend sent me a few rooted ones. I still managed to kill a few but think it is was due to poor conditions indoors and wrong soil not allowing the soil to breath, basically pure peat.

I hope that the tri-leaf trait remains into maturity  ;D fingers crossed. This is the second set of leaves and the next set is coming soon.

I'll be trying again once my plants grow large enough.
Best time to sow is 5 years ago...

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #223 on: September 17, 2015, 02:02:41 AM »

Those little guys look like they are doing well. Whatever you are doing now, keep it up and you'll soon be overrun with them. Well, maybe in ten years or so!  ;D
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

Greench

• Trading Score: +3
« Reply #224 on: September 18, 2015, 05:10:30 PM »

I've got two of these in water. They've been in there for.... months.  ;D
It works but much slower than in soil. One of them has greening roots, the other not. I should have potted them long ago, but for science, you know...  ;)
Most of my cuttings have been repotted in basic soil a week ago, not sure how they'll like it...
Should I let the soil dry completely before watering if there is no perlite/vermi/..?

Cheers!  :D
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22