Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Guys I need help!!!! My Mimosas  (Read 5383 times)

gnosis

• Trading Score: +31
Guys I need help!!!! My Mimosas
« on: November 13, 2016, 12:11:28 AM »

Well I brought my mimosas in for the winter and put them in the basement they are about 2 and a half years old,
I turn the lights on everyday for them downstairs because they cannot get natural light. so after a week they started to lose a lot of their leaves then they stopped dropping leaves I figured it was just because of the move and the climate change.  But now about 3 weeks later they are starting to develop dark green or even black leaves and I'm scared maybe it's rot or something but I don't over water them, so I don't know what it could be.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gnosis

Re: Guys I need help!!!! My Mimosas
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 01:05:24 AM »

I just pruned the hell out of them!

planter

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 01:16:56 AM »

I haven't really grown anything much indoors, but I would have assumed you'd either have to put it in a bright window or have it under grow lights.

What have you done with your Mimosas in previous winters?

gnosis

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 01:28:08 AM »

same thing just brought them in.  But this is the first winter they went in the basement and you now what I was thinking that I should give them better light.  Ill give that a shot thanks.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 02:12:30 AM »

You turn on the lights, but, how much light do you turn on ? It feels hard to believe a 'normal' ambient room lighting would suffice. Remember that warmer temperatures usually call for more light and outdoors natural light is very intense compared to all artificial light you commonly find in houses. Also the distance to the lightsource has a large impact.

I had spidermites make my mimosa loose leaves once but I didnt notice anything black.

Do you have any concept of the humidity there and how damp is the soil ?

Are you certain this is necessary and your temperatures will drop to a point killing it ?
Praise is mandatory.

JMZ

• Trading Score: +149
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 06:42:33 AM »

My Kratom trees are taking a beating in my basement too, dropping leaves, etc. I expect to see spider mites in about a month. It's all par for the coarse.
Kratom is my fountain of youth.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 07:04:27 AM »

Anticipate them, get some systemic acting agent that targets arachnae (spider mites are not insects). And make sure it also has a description of how long the agent stays in the system *hrrrhrrr*.
Praise is mandatory.

gnosis

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 05:24:35 AM »

thanks guys
I'm going to add better lights and also what can I use for the spider mites?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 05:25:25 AM by gnosis »

gnosis

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 09:00:26 PM »

Update:

My mimosas came through alright, I decided not to baby them, also after close inspection I
found no bugs so I didn't spray or give them any bug treatment either.  Also no new lights
I just pulled off all the nasty leaves, which by the way were 98% of the leaves, off, misted the
plants twice a day and only watered once every 4 or 5 days and they look great now.  All new growth,
anyway thanks again guys.

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 09:30:30 PM »

My plants arent lookin so great either in wondering whats up. Looks like nitrogen content tanked and looks like pH is outta whack or something looks like burns on the tips. Lowest we hit was 45 for an hour 3 days rest of the time 60s to 80s. Ill take picks when i get home. Might not ve getting enough sun or something.

It is also now dry season and aside from hand watering has gotten no rain since oct. I water about once to twice a week
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 10:18:36 PM by Chicsa »

oplopanax

• Trading Score: +139
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 05:12:11 AM »

Mine look like shit now that they are inside for the winter, lost almost all their leaves & what leaves there are are light colored and etiolated looking. I hope they turn back into trees when they go outside in the spring. Better than last year when they all died in a greenhouse during the winter.
No living organism should be illegal.

AsiansArentReal

• Trading Score: +7
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2017, 02:59:28 AM »

Being in Florida I left my Mimosas out for this "winter," but they have had some darker foliage and some dead ones as well. Only been growing for a year now, but they seem like a pretty resilient plant!